PDA

View Full Version : What would your strategy be in a Home Tourney against these guys?

VTDuffman
11-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Hello all,

I'm pretty much a resident of the micro board, but I turn to the 1 Table Tourney board for a bit of advice...

The Setup: This is a semi-regular weekly home game played Tournament style. $20 buy-in and payouts for the top 3 finishers. Usually 10 people, we play 2 5 person tables that merge to a 6-person final table when the first two people are eliminated from each table.

I've only won the tourney once, with pretty much straight-forward play and great hands (read: luck). I need a win bigtime, and would love to know how you all would try and win this one.

The Players:
Myself - I'm mostly a (micro)limit guy. I like the math, and I think that makes it easier. NL is a whole different ballgame for me because there's alot more "luck" involved (as far as I'm concerned, luck plays alot into limit as well, but not as much as NL - there's less variance IMHO). I try to play tight pre-flop, and agressive post flop, but often times find myself getting easily scared by bets when I'm drawing and raises when I'm betting a made (but vulnerable) hand.

The Land Monster - He's a good player, mostly a micro limit guy also. Very smart, good with math, and varys his game appropriately. He's a 2+2er, so he knows what's up. Kind of like an Obi-Wan to my Anakin.

The Maniacs - There's two of these guys, and they're roomates. Maniacs in every sense of the word. When they get lucky, they're unstoppable and when they don't they don't last for more than a half hour. Will raise almost anything, esp. Any two face cards or any ace. This makes them hard to read, for some reason I find them busting me with wild all-ins that they get lucky on.

The Calling Station - This guy will call anything with anything, esp. when drawing or in the blinds, No account for odds on draws, but gets easily scared by raises when he has good hands on a draw-heavy board (Folding AA with a flush on the board, stuff like that). When I lose to this guy, it's hitting random gutshots and the like, it's hard to get him out of a pot.

Captain Slowplay This guy has been on a tear the last few weeks, mostly because he slowplays everything under the sun. Rarely raises pre-flop, and will call down to the river before he turns it on. VERY hard to put on a hand, he could have anything or nothing and it's hard to tell because he plays everything the same way. The only way to know what he has is when he shows you a flopped set of kings that peats your two pair.

Final Thoughts There are a couple of other people who are easier to play against. One guy who is pretty good, knows what he's doing, but tilts easily. One guy who overvalues Aces and is extremely easy to put on a hand with his pf raising tendencies...etc. It's the guys above who I have issues with, and who usually end up busting me out for one reason or another...

So, I turn to you, lords of the 1-table tourney board...what can I do to beat these guys tonight? (Besides get good cards/get lucky /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

poboy
11-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Well first you need to forget the idea that luck plays a bigger part in NL than limit, you have it completely backwards. NL does take a different set of skills to be successful though. Just a couple of generalizations, if you want more meat just browse the forum.

1> Play very tightly preflop, but when you do play a hand play it aggresively.
2> If you do play a draw it is better to be the one betting and bet it the same way you would a made hand, only play good draws.
3> Always protect(bet big) your made hands, DO NOT SLOWPLAY.
4> Once it gets short handed, try to steal some pots.

I think the biggest adjustment limit players need to make initially is in the size of their bets. The great thing about NL is that you can distort the pot odds. Every time someones takes bad odds you benefit.