PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected turn raise

Jdanz
11-02-2004, 12:30 PM
This is a very common occurence and i just want to know what the general consesus is, if it's too boring, feel free to pass it by or just give your line without explination, though obviously i'd like an explination more.

The villian here is very loose but has been on quite a run.
Aggresion factor is usually pretty low however.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>,

folded to me, pretty big pot but i can't think it's too likely i'm ahead. Thoughts?

-JDanz

daveymck
11-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Misread action ignore me.

digdeep
11-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Two pair, or a set on the flop? I call and unimproved on the river, check/call. This is assuming that BB is a player you raises with a hand. "Very Loose" and in the BB, I wouldn't be surprised if he had 34. But loose players on runs often try to forcibly keep their runs going. Therefore, if you have seen him bluff, and/or you have a very tight image at the table, I reraise.

daveymck
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Why did you not bet out on the flop? You raised pre flop hit your hand and then check it? It oculd have easily been check all the way through and a free card given which could be a problem for you.

Once he raises the turn I check call down, I suspect he is either slow playing trips or has hit his K 10 on the turn.

MoreWineII
11-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Bet the flop. What's the point of a check-raise?

You can't fold the turn. He could have KT, he could just as easily have Kx /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

MAxx
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
lead the flop. call turn raise and hope to improve... to what I believe would be a better 2pair. i tend to call river as well, but i am starting to consider that I should lean more towards folding unimproved against semi-reasonable opponents. that big pot idea sometimes gets in the way on river and prevents me.

but i would be prepared to call this river, b/c as morew has pointed out he could be raising on draws.

Jdanz
11-02-2004, 01:05 PM
it had been very very rare for flops to be checked through and i wanted to hit the feild with 2 bets cold, also the draws don't really hurt me as i have the A spade and am not worried about a low draw given my preflop raise.

-JDanz

slogger
11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
First, I do not think you should be risking giving a free card on that flop. Bet out.

On the turn, I think a checkraise from an otherwise passive player (especially after you checkraised the flop) means you're behind. Getting 15 to 1, I think you need to see the river, and since you'll liekly be getting around 19-to-1 on the end, you probably have to make the crying call.