PDA

View Full Version : When to quit?

Smokey98
11-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I'd like to know when you pros decide to quit playing. Is it when you're up or down a certain BB? Maybe when you notice you're playing sub-par? I have a little list that I taped to my computer that says:

WHEN TO QUIT

Am I tired?

Am I down xxBB?

Am I up xxBB?

Am I going on Tilt?

Are there any other "issues" you would consider adding to this list?

Rudbaeck
11-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I'd remove points 2 and 4.

In general I sit down to play a preset number of hands. I find this works best. I abort if I am getting tired, feeling ill or just need a snack.

bwana devil
11-02-2004, 01:50 PM
being up or down any amount should not affect your decision unless it is impacting your emotional state and causing you to tilt.

you asked what the pros do, which I am not, but I quit when I am sleepy, bored, or the table tightened up and I don't want to go through the effort of finding a good one.

deacsoft
11-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I break it down as follows: If there is any distraction that going to be hanging around (like you child is sick and you're worried, you're tired, you're hungry, you're worried about a project from your day job, you have time restrictions that put you in a hurry, you think your wife is mad but not sure, etc, etc. Anything at all the can be going through your head throughout the session). Adding to that, of course, you're playing poorly or are simply out matched at the table is a perfect reason to leave the table.

As far as the +xBBs or -xBBs; this is a horrible reason to leave any table. If the table is profitable you should play. If it is not you should leave. If you leave a profitable table because you're up your predetermined number of BBs you lose. Likewise, for continuing to play at an unprofitable table.

KenProspero
11-02-2004, 03:57 PM
The one possible exception I take to Deacon's post --

If I'm -xBB, it's not necessarily a time to quit, but it may be an indication that I'm not playing well that night.

If, for example, I know why I'm losing -- say two or three hands where I bet heavily on big hands and took bad beats on the river, I'll probably play on.

However, If I find myself down say 30BB and I can't explain why, I think I leave the table.

I'd NEVER leave just because I was up a certain amount of bets. Though in my heart of hearts I know the cards have no memory, my gut tells me there are streaks, and as long as I'm playing well and winning, I'm going to ride the streak to the end.

deacsoft
11-02-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, If I find myself down say 30BB and I can't explain why, I think I leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

BTW, why did you call me Deacon? Do I know you?

Smokey98
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd NEVER leave just because I was up a certain amount of bets. Though in my heart of hearts I know the cards have no memory, my gut tells me there are streaks, and as long as I'm playing well and winning, I'm going to ride the streak to the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I have this on my list is because I usually (90% of the time) drop down to break even after going up, say, 40BB. It’s almost like clock worth. Granted since I started dropping out after going up xBB’s my win rate has skyrocketed. Before this I wasn’t winning much. What’s more is my play would stay the same it was just a run of bad beats or bad luck in cards. I’ve seen a huge difference. I do understand what you guys are saying though. This just works for me.

deacsoft
11-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Nothing personal buddy. I'm just curious if you do know me.

rloftin
11-05-2004, 01:21 PM
WHY

deacsoft
11-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad you're a big enough jerkoff to post the word "WHY" 50 times throughout the forums. It's time to get a new hobby/life.