PDA

View Full Version : Typo in SCSFAP? Little help please.

11-05-2001, 07:20 PM
I'm confused about 2 situations regarding big pairs in Sklansky, Malmuth, Zee's Seven card stud book

1)About the advice given regarding getting reraised with a big pair by a higher card.

a) When raising a split big pair and you get reraised by a higher upcard you should call "and be prepared to go to the river." (Pg. 35)

b) But then the example on the next page is you have J-J and an A or K and get raised by a Q, "you must call his reraise- and in fact call all the way up to sixth street in most cases" (Pg.36) Don't they mean to call to the river? Is this a typo? Did I miss something important otherwise?

2)When a Q raises and K reraises and you have (J-A)J, the book says you should "usually" play and then want to reraise again. Does "usually" simply mean if you don't put an opponent on pocket aces or rolled up, so you should basically always play it?

I would appreciate a little help here. Thanks.

Joeflex

11-06-2001, 01:55 AM
1)About the advice given regarding getting reraised with a big pair by a higher card.

a) When raising a split big pair and you get reraised by a higher upcard you should call "and be prepared to go to the river." (Pg. 35)

b) But then the example on the next page is you have J-J and an A or K and get raised by a Q, "you must call his reraise- and in fact call all the way up to sixth street in most cases" (Pg.36) Don't they mean to call to the river? Is this a typo? Did I miss something important otherwise?

I think this is a typo, or the authors didn't clarify what they meant. If your opponent dosen't improve in sight, then you should go to the river.

2)When a Q raises and K reraises and you have (J-A)J, the book says you should "usually" play and then want to reraise again. Does "usually" simply mean if you don't put an opponent on pocket aces or rolled up, so you should basically always play it?

I think "usually" means just about all of the time in this case. But like they stressed you MUST try to get that Queen out of there and get heads up.

* Although 7SFAP's contains great info, I have often thought it could have been worded better. I also have always wondered if this book is just copying Chip Reese's concepts from the Super/ System? They issue him no credit, but aren't alot of these topics/ideas originally his? I think so.

11-06-2001, 03:47 AM
I think they mean call through sixth street if noone improves. If you haven't made two pair by the river, and they bet, you can usually safely fold. So calling "all the way up to sixth street" means the same as "be prepared to go to the river". At least that's how I interpret it.

11-06-2001, 04:28 AM
#1 is a type-o. You are the first to point this out.

#2 You should play as long as your hand is live.

11-06-2001, 04:35 AM
"* Although 7SFAP's contains great info, I have often thought it could have been worded better. I also have always wondered if this book is just copying Chip Reese's concepts from the Super/ System? They issue him no credit, but aren't alot of these topics/ideas originally his? I think so."

When we originally wrote SCSFAP in 1989 we didn't look at SUPER/SYSTEM until we had a completed draft. We only looked at it to make sure there wasn't a topic that we missed. If some of the concepts seem similar it is because Chip Reese is a very good stud player. In 1999 we added 100 pages to the text. All of this material was brand new and none of it appears in SUPER/SYSTEM as far as I know -- it's been many years since I last read Doyle's book (but I have read it several times).

11-06-2001, 12:49 PM