PDA

View Full Version : Pot-limit 7-Stud Hi-lo hand

11-04-2001, 11:51 AM
5-handed game, 1-1 blinds (used on first round only, after that high hand leads). My stack has the table covered.

1 player limps in, I raise to $5 with (A2)6 rainbow, both blinds and the limper call. 4-handed action, pot now $20.

4th st: SB shows 37 offsuit, BB caught a brick and checked out, limper shows Q5 offsuit, I received a 2 to make (A2)62. Q5 is high and bets $20 leaving only $20 more in his stack. I'm sure I have sufficient odds to justify calling against Queens heads up. I raise the max to $80, 37 calls all-in with about $75 and the Q5 calls with his remaining $20. I put the 37 on a low draw, which I was hoping to drive out and play heads up with the Q5.

Comments on this play appreciated. I know preflop was a borderline raise, but the table is generally loose in starting requirements. I'm more interested in my play on 4th street. What are my odds here if I'm against Queens on 1 side and a 7-low draw on the other? Results to follow.

11-04-2001, 08:55 PM
well it might be okay if you thought the 3,7 hand would fold. but now you are a dog to both hands likely and have built a bigger pot. what you find happens often enough is that you are against queens up and also a gut four straight of some kind. i think you should have folded with the 3,7 behind you because its pot limit. but its close i think so you probably didnt make much of a mistake if at all taking into account the times both will have hands that may not hurt you too much.

11-05-2001, 05:28 AM
I think you should have folded or at least tried to see the next card as cheaply as possible as it is pot limit. If the player behind you is a loose calling player as you described, then he is unlikely to drop out, and you risk a reraise from the Q which you certainly cannot call.

11-05-2001, 08:44 PM
I definitely would have folded if the stacks were deeper compared to the pot size.

The low draw called my raise with (A6)37 for $75 all-in and the Q9(Q5) called his remaining $20 all-in. The low draw ended up making a 7-low, and made a pair of running 10's to win the side pot against my unimproved hand. He split the main pot with the unimproved Queens.

Thanks for the input. I agree now that I was risking too much to win a relatively small pot. I also think the 7-low draw made a big mistake by calling my raise with 26 showing? Any thoughts on this?

11-06-2001, 12:56 AM
I think the 37 was correct to call allin. He only stands to lose what he has in front of him, and he is probably thinking he can get lucky and spike an Ace for a scoop if you bust out. The big problem with raising into the low draw was that he had a short stack. If he had $2000 in front of him, then it is harder to call, as he risks making a 7 when you have a 6 and then losing several hundred dollars.

Having said that, i have never (and will never unless i know every man at the table very well) played potlimit in a split pot game, so i am basing that on logic rather than experience.