PDA

View Full Version : AQ turn nothing but a gutshot draw..check or bet?

pstripling
11-02-2004, 10:43 AM
PartyPoker 3/6. 9 handed. Table is fairly loose passive.

Hero is MP2

2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero (A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) raises, folded to BB who calls, MP1 calls.

(6 SB)
FLOP: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)

BB checks, MP1 Checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 Calls

(4.5 BB)
Turn: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)
BB Checks, MP1 Checks, Hero????

This is a common situation for me. Overcards with a slim draw. I don't want to bet here and get check raised, nor do I want to give a free card to hands like 9T, QT, or anything else that might get there. What is the correct play in a situation where you feel they will call with any pair, but will also call with any draw (flush, gutshot, openend), throw into the mix that you will occasionally be check raised by a semi bluff (something like 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif). Thanks for all advice.

spamuell
11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I generally check against two or more opponents, bet against one.

mtdoak
11-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Check. Chances are, any hand that they called you on the flop with the King either improved it nor is a big scare card. If they are chasing a flush, they will most certainly be calling. In a bigger field it is possible someone is waiting to check raise you with a K, but with only 3 players left it is unlikley.

Lost Wages
11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
You bet here. The king is a good scare card for you because they likely put you on a pocket pair or AK. If you are called and don't improve then you can take the free showdown with a slight chance of still having the best hand.

Lost Wages