PDA

View Full Version : Should I have tipped? If so, how much?

spamuell
11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
I went to a cafe/restaurant with some friends. Nothing fancy, a pizza/pasta/light snack lunch type place.

We all ordered, and two of us ordered a jacket potato and salad. The waitress returned to us about 10 minutes later to say they only had one potato. Fine, I changed my order to pizza. The pizza cost over twice as much as the potato, if that's a factor.

The five people I was with all received their food in the next 10 minutes, within a couple of minutes of one another. By the time they had finished eating, I was yet to receive my order. I asked the waitress about it and she said it was coming, although it didn't for at least another few minutes, my friends didn't mind waiting.

Then we ordered dessert, and that also took ages to come.

The restaurant was filled with families and older couples, all of whom had had reasonable service. Lots of people were leaving even though they had arrived after us, it seemed that we just weren't a priority to the staff, probably because we were all 18/19.

At the end, I wasn't sure whether to tip or not, the service had really been appalling and it felt somewhat personal. On the other hand, it probably wasn't really the fault of the waitress, it seemed unfair to punish her for it. Maybe she had said to the people in the kitchen that they needn't worry about our order because we were just a bunch of kids. I can't know.

I ended up tipping about 7%, because I felt bad about not tipping at all as I couldn't really know who was at fault. I also felt though that if everyone just tips regardless then there's really no incentive for anyone to do their job well. I would have felt like such a dick if I didn't tip at all, though.

What do you think?

junkmail3
11-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I probalby would have felt like more of a dick leaving a quarter and two dimes.

It likely wasn't her fault, and now she's at home cursing the kitchen for being incompetent. (and she's starving becuase she has no money to buy food)

If it was her fault, you're only perpetuating the sterotype of 18/19 year olds not tipping, and service will continue to decline as the sterotype propagates.

I have a friend who finds anything possible to bitch about when we go out (not that you didn't have valid reasons to bitch). He never leaves a tip over 10%. I don't go out to eat with him anymore.

Diplomat
11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
When I recieve poor service or food or whatever, I make a point of telling the shift manager. They will figure things out for you.

-Diplomat

wacki
11-02-2004, 11:03 AM
I never understand people who tip for bad service. I tip for mediocre service and tip well for good service. I've worked in the food service so I know how lazy, or how hard working waitresses/waiters can be. If the kitchen was slow, she should of said something. The pizza may not of been her fault but usually the waitresses/waiters are the ones that fix the desert. If you had lousy service, you need to let her know. Otherwise you are only hurting the owner of the restaurant by ecouraging more bad service to the rest of his customers. Bad service can put people out of business.

Homer
11-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't have tipped a dime.

tolbiny
11-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Having worked in both front and back of the house in restaurants, i would say that if your food is ~10 mins late its usually because the Cooks burned/forgot about your order. if it is >10 mins late its because the cooks burned forgot about your order and the sesrver didn't get on their backs to correct it. If the desert is slow thats usually the server's fault.
Of course the #1 reason that cooks burn/forget orders is because they don't like that particular server....
tip 10% if they suck, they only get 2.36 an hour without tips...

beerbandit
11-02-2004, 11:19 AM
i have never not left a tip--i think that is wrong, but i think that the service should reflect the amount. it didnt seem that the waitress was very concerened with your food not arriving timely and that the others in your group were already finished. im sure that it does take longer to cook a pizza than a baked potato. what is a jacket potato?

i feel you here----im also younger(24) and am often unshaven and look like i just woke up. i really thinks this affects the service i receive almost anywhere i go. ive been at the bar several times recently and had to wait -- seemed like for ever -- to place my original order and then it took serveral minutes after finishing my beer to even be asked if i want another one. i hate people-i was thirsty.

im not sure of the cost of your meal but i would have left a couple bucks depending on how much the others at the table were leaving. i would have said something or asked about the delay of your meal.as with any resteraunt there goal should be to keep customers comin back.

cheers
beer

tolbiny
11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
"im also younger(24) and am often unshaven and look like i just woke up"

If you would have written
im also younger(24) and am often unshaven and look like i am hungover

You would be Victor's long lost twin.

beerbandit
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
im pretty lucky

i drink so much water every day that it really reduces the effects of all the booze that i drink. so i guess to some i might look hungover, but im really just lazy and sleepy.

cheers
beer

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 11:54 AM
my tip would have reflected the service.......so it would have been bad.

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
I tend to over-tip, as do most people who have worked as waiters or bartenders. I don't think what happened to you is reason to tip less than 15%. [censored] happens.

spamuell
11-02-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't think what happened to you is reason to tip less than 15%. [censored] happens.

What do you think would be a reason to tip less than 15%?

Even if my tip of less than 15% is unjustified, so what? I mean, [censored] happens, right?

wacki
11-02-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having worked in both front and back of the house in restaurants, i would say that if your food is ~10 mins late its usually because the Cooks burned/forgot about your order. if it is >10 mins late its because the cooks burned forgot about your order and the sesrver didn't get on their backs to correct it. If the desert is slow thats usually the server's fault.
Of course the #1 reason that cooks burn/forget orders is because they don't like that particular server....
tip 10% if they suck, they only get 2.36 an hour without tips...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree that cooks are slow and can really screw things up for the waiters, but they could atleast tell the people that they are checking on the food. A siimple message to let them know they haven't forgotten is all they need. Even if it's checking to simply see if their drinks are full.

As for deserts, did you make your own? When it came to cake or scooping ice-cream the waiters/waitresses always did that. That is why I was suspicious. The original poster made it sound like all aspects of the service was bad.

Actually I would of left a really really small tip. Something that would let them know I didn't forget to tip, and decided not to tip well at all. If I was absolutely sure the waiter/waitress was blowing me off I would tip a penny. Time is money, and he/she is wasting your money.

On the other end, excellent service requires excellent tips and repeat business!

Neil Stevens
11-02-2004, 12:37 PM
The establishment sets aside one portion of the payment for an evaluation of service. The service was bad. Of course the tip should be low or zero!

Don't drag the patron into the internal negotiations between the employees of the establishment and the establishment.

Toro
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I think I've only not left a tip once in my life. I leave a minimum of 15% even if I don't get good service. I've considered leaving less at times but always felt that the server wouldn't be able to equate the small tip with the level of service and instead would just think that I was a cheap bastard.

So, probably the best thing to do when service is poor is to leave no tip at all. If you do this I think then it's clear that you were dissatisfied with the service and it can't be misconstrued as you just being cheap.

Edit: There used to be a thing where you would leave a penny if the service was poor, a clear signal. But I don't believe that is done anymore.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There used to be a thing where you would leave a penny if the service was poor, a clear signal. But I don't believe that is done anymore.

[/ QUOTE ] I have done this before, twice in fact, and I know my mom does too if the service is terrible. I just don't see how someone deserves a tip for bad service.

I mean, the tip is coming, its essentially earned as soon as I sit down, and from then until when I leave its up to them if they lose or gain more from me.

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I meant [censored] happens in a restaurant, and most of the time it isn't the waitperson's fault. I consider 15% to be the bare minimum I'd ever give if I eat at a restaurant and am waited upon, but to each his own.

Short of getting up and leaving because something really bad happened I don't think I would ever not tip or not top 15%, but that's just me.

M2d
11-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I hope you're talking about your table's collective tip and not about your own individual contribution. with enough friends, you lack of tip will be averaged in and she won't even notice the difference. Anyway, your entire table was affected by the bad service, so the entire table should have tipped accordingly.

On the matter of how much to tip, I likely would have left a dollar. stiffing them completely could mean that you forgot or just come from a culture that doesn't tip. leaving ten percent indicates that you're cheap. A buck tells them that you didn't forget about the tip, and that you were very dissatisfied with the serivice.

Don't worry much about whose fault it was for the bad service. For one thing, the wait staff is the face of the restaurant, and, ultimately, it is they who must answer to the customers. if something was being screwed up in the back, the front must do something to ease the situation. comp the individual meal. comp the dessert. offer an apology. from your retelling, I don't get the feeling that any of this occured. that just tells me that the wait service sucked, regardless of what problems happened in the back.

One last thing you should have/still can do is talk to the manager. tell him or her what happened. don't scream. by coming off professionally, you'll probably gain some respect in their eyes and be treated differently. As an added bonus, you'll more than likely walk away with some sort of compensation, be it a free meal, dessert or drinks the next time you go to that establishment. As an ex-19 year old, I remember how much that stuff mattered (still does at 34)

I worked in many restaurants through college, both back side and front. I usually tip well to very well if the service is acceptible. I usually tip extremely well if it's a small, cheap eats kind of place. However, I'm the first to tip poorly if the service is not up to par.

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The establishment sets aside one portion of the payment for an evaluation of service. The service was bad. Of course the tip should be low or zero!

Don't drag the patron into the internal negotiations between the employees of the establishment and the establishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
How courageous of you to stand up for your ideals. If you don't like the socially-agreed upon construct of tipping at restaurants, don't go to restaurants. I'd have to guess you've never worked for tips, but I could be wrong.

M2d
11-02-2004, 01:06 PM
I posted above about my rationale, but I leave a buck for very bad service.

Alobar
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
I used to be a waiter, and [censored] like that happened all the time. It was always something out of my control (i.e. the kitchen staff sucked).

Its easy to distinguish between a bad water/waitress and problems with the kitchen. If she was doing the best she could and was pleasant, I would still have tipped. If it was her that was giving you the shitty service, then I wouldnt have tipped.

As a side note, some of the best nights in tips I ever had was when the kitchen was sooo slow and my section incredibly full, that I had to bust my ass just to tell everyone their food was coming late. I think they felt bad for me or something because it was obviously out of my control, and were more generous with their tip.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, some of the best nights in tips I ever had was when the kitchen was sooo slow and my section incredibly full, that I had to bust my ass just to tell everyone their food was coming late. I think they felt bad for me or something because it was obviously out of my control, and were more generous with their tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key. You are more likely to get a good tip from me if you do this. In fact, I really like it when waiters/waitresses do this.

Neil Stevens
11-02-2004, 01:22 PM
If waiters don't like employers who don't guarantee them a full wage, they shouldn't work at those places.

If I'm eating out, the service should be the last thing on my mind. If the service sticks out and grabs attention, usually that means something's wrong.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm eating out, the service should be the last thing on my mind. If the service sticks out and grabs attention, usually that means something's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ] or something's good.

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I was a server at a steakhouse for about two years. I will say I was damn good. I didnt really adhere to the policies of the restaraunt (such as corny greeting or rambling about specials when they havent even asked) but I was very fast, efficient and friendly. I very consistently received good tips.

That said, it is impossible to give good service everytime. It is not unlikely that your delays were entirely the kitchens fault. But its also a strong possiblilty that she was just very busy at the time. If it helps, try to tip based on how hard you think they are trying, not by how fast things were. Sometimes I would get way too busy to do anything very well. What sucks about that is, even though I would have to work much harder, I would get tipped less.

TheRake
11-02-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've considered leaving less at times but always felt that the server wouldn't be able to equate the small tip with the level of service and instead would just think that I was a cheap bastard.

So, probably the best thing to do when service is poor is to leave no tip at all. If you do this I think then it's clear that you were dissatisfied with the service and it can't be misconstrued as you just being cheap.

Edit: There used to be a thing where you would leave a penny if the service was poor, a clear signal. But I don't believe that is done anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just tell the manager or server you were not happy with the service? Seems like the most logical thing to do.

Most places it doesn't matter if you punish bad service because they pool tips.

Bottom line is I think you are obligated to leave a tip of at least 15%, but you should make your complaint known verbally (without being an ass) to the manager.

This tactic also has the possibility of getting you a free meal.

TheRake

BottlesOf
11-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Don't waiters and staff often pool tips? Therefore, leaving a small tip would impact not just the waitress but all those on the staff who at least in part bare the blame for what happened?

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If waiters don't like employers who don't guarantee them a full wage, they shouldn't work at those places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its people like you that make me think it should be required for everyone to live off of tips at one part in their life.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree with everything but: Bottom line is I think you are obligated to leave a tip of at least 15% . I don't buy this at all, you are not obligated to tip poor service.

M2d
11-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I have lived off of tips and I agree with Neil

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its people like you that make me think it should be required for everyone to live off of tips at one part in their life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this argument, because of the sheer absurdness of it. How about I decided to live off the wages of whatever job I want or can get, so how about something that doesn't include tips, is that okay? Or is my life incomplete because I never had to work for tips? Blah blah blah, I have had shitty jobs that never even had a scent of a tip, should everyone have to work those jobs to? come one man, get off the soap box.

Neil Stevens
11-02-2004, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? You did and now you're bitter? Don't resent people who didn't make the same mistake you did (and yeah, judging by the comments here, working for someone who won't pay you a guaranteed wage is a mistake).

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate this argument, because of the sheer absurdness of it. How about I decided to live off the wages of whatever job I want or can get, so how about something that doesn't include tips, is that okay? Or is my life incomplete because I never had to work for tips? Blah blah blah, I have had shitty jobs that never even had a scent of a tip, should everyone have to work those jobs to? come one man, get off the soap box.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that, in general, I believe that people should be empathetic and sympathetic to other people and treat people in a fair manner--in short, that they should treat others how they themselves would want to be treated.

Those that have waited tables or tended bar or otherwise worked for tips or in the service industry have an insight into what servers are going through that those that haven't don't have, and it's reflected in the fact that most of them tip well for the rest of their lives.

I think if people could magically give themselves this insight they would tend to feel the same way.

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? You did and now you're bitter? Don't resent people who didn't make the same mistake you did (and yeah, judging by the comments here, working for someone who won't pay you a guaranteed wage is a mistake).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh. Hooray for ad hominem attacks.
See my above post, and lighten up.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The point is that, in general, I believe that people should be empathetic and sympathetic to other people and treat people in a fair manner--in short, that they should treat others how they themselves would want to be treated.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree. Waiters should also wait on people just like how they want to be waited on. I know this is sort of the brutal truth, but they are in a service industry, so those that serve well get tipped well.

I just want to make one thing clear, I always tip for good or average, or even mildly bad service. But terrible service does not get rewarded by me.

JTrout
11-02-2004, 01:53 PM
I almost always tip more then 15%, but you 're making me want to go out and stiff someone! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
11-02-2004, 01:55 PM
My average tip is 20%. I often tip more than that.

In this scenario, if it went down exactly as you described, I would have tipped very little or zero for the whole table. I also probably would have mentioned to the manager how disappointed I was with the dining experience.

Had the waitress come over at some point and said "I really apologize, but the kitchen is really backed up with pizzas and yours is going to be a few minutes late" or if she would have made an apology and explanation when your food arrived, I would have left 15% for the whole table.

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But terrible service does not get rewarded by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I thought we were talking about not tipping because the food took forever.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if people could magically give themselves this insight they would tend to feel the same way.

[/ QUOTE ] I wish people would have this same insight for all service industry jobs. I worked at a movie theather during HS, and that was certaibly an eye opener. I always try to be as polite as possible to people in the service industry, regardless of where they work.

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the food takes forever, and I mean longer than 40 minutes, and the server doesn't mention anything about the delay or check on my table, they will get a bad tip. I am sorry, but the server should inform people of the situation. Surprisingly, most people don't mind once you tell them!

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the food takes forever, and I mean longer than 40 minutes, and the server doesn't mention anything about the delay or check on my table, they will get a bad tip. I am sorry, but the server should inform people of the situation. Surprisingly, most people don't mind once you tell them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats a long ass time. Not mentioning it to your customers is right along the lines of bad service. Any good waiter would know better than this.

Ulysses
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he received bad service. Good service in this spot IMO would involve one or more of the following:

1) Letting the person know as soon as possible that their order was going to take a little longer.

2) Explaining and apologizing about the delay when the order finally showed up.

3) Taking the really late item off the bill.

4) An offer to comp a dessert or drink.

I tip 20+% all the time in situations where my food took a long time. That's because it's clear to me in those situations that the waiter did the best he could to make it a good dining experience for my party. I got the exact opposite impression from this post.

Here's an example:

I'm in a crowded restaurant. All the waiters are running around like crazy and everything is backed up. Everything takes longer than normal. In this scenario, my tip is not affected by the delay, though I might mention to the manager that everything took a really long time.

On the other hand, I'm sitting in a restaurant and waters aren't getting refilled, orders aren't being taken, empty bread basket is just sitting there, etc. Every tim I look over, the waiter is in the back hanging out and talking w/ some other waiters or else has clearly gone outside to have yet another smoke. In this case, my tip will most definitely be affected.

mmbt0ne
11-02-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything but: Bottom line is I think you are obligated to leave a tip of at least 15% . I don't buy this at all, you are not obligated to tip poor service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. For some reason servers seem to think that a tip is mandatory now. Pizza delivery guys are the worst about it. I was at my friends house and we ordered a pizza. The place is literally a half mile down the road, but we opted for delivery. An hour and a half later, when the pizza finally showed up it was $9.10. My friend handed the guy a $20, and he said thanks, turned and started to walk off. We had to follow him out the door to get change, and we took the whole $10.90. If the service is bad, a tip is not in order.

In this situation, you yourself said the place was busy, and it's possible that the other people leaving early had a different server. I would've left a tip too, but not a very good one.

ericd
11-02-2004, 02:36 PM
I leave a penny. That way there is no doubt that I didn't forget.

citanul
11-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Brooks Brothers sells a silly book one of my relatives got me as a gift at some point, called "A Gentleman Entertains."

On page 124 is the guide to leaving a tip:

HOW TO LEAVE A TIP

Whether he is entertaining clients at a business lunch or friends at a birthday party, tipping is a matter that concerns only the host and the server. The host does not brag about leaving a generous gratuity. If the service has been inferior; he does not inform his guests that he intents to leavea less-than-sizable tip.

To recognize good service, the host leaves at least 15% of his total bill. Excellent, attentive service justifies a tip of 20% or more. If a business lunch has dragged on for more than an hour, tying up the server's table, the host may take taht situation into account when leaving his tip.

On the other hand, if the service has been minimally acceptable, the host may leave only 10%. If he is so dissatisfied that he feels the urge to leave less, he leaves nothing and explains this to the manager. Angrily leaving a dime or a quarter demonstrates that the customer and the server are equally ill-mannered.

(end quote)

Clearly the book isn't exactly talking about situations where you're just going out for a quick bite and you're not paying the whole bill, but I feel that some of the advice still holds.

Particularly, I feel that sort of sneakilly leaving a miniscule tip and then walking out is a really lame thing to do. If you're going to be so insulted by the service as to do that, you should talk to the manager in almost all situations.

I also think that a lot of this stuff is dependent on how big the total bill is and what your time/aggravation is worth to you. I think if you're making 200k a year and you get your panties in a bunch thinking about the difference between leaving a 10% punishment tip and a 15% acceptable tip at a place where you got a sandwich and a coffee, you need to really rethink the way you go about things.

citanul

Alobar
11-02-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3) Taking the really late item off the bill.

4) An offer to comp a dessert or drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

at most places, the server doesnt have the power to do that. As a server there were times when I would request frm the manager (on my own behalf, not because the table wanted it) that I take off an item, or discount the bill because of a horrible wait, and was told "no" almost every time.

Also to the people saying servers shouldnt work somewhere that doesnt guaruntee a full wage. 95% of all server jobs dont guaruntee a full wage, and the ones that do, are at fancy ass country clubs or 5 star resturants and you have to have years of experience to get one of those jobs.

Also, most places dont pool their tips. The only pooling that goes on most of the time is what the servers tip out to the bus staff, usually that will get pooled and split among the busers.

I think its true most people who have worked for tips tip very well for the rest of their lives (I know I do), but I also think most people dont realize how much you can make in tips at a decent place.

Ulysses
11-02-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at most places, the server doesnt have the power to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

They always have the power to ask the manager, though.

Anyway, that's why points 1) and 2) were first and second in my list.

TheRake
11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I also think most people dont realize how much you can make in tips at a decent place

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probly true, but let's face it they are not getting rich. I figure these people have just as much right to make a decent living as everyone else.

Good thread

TheRake

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 03:22 PM
have you heard about Willie Hungs Christmas CD?

"Deck the haws with baws of horry."

TheRake
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Hahahaha....yes I heard about it. In fact I was planning on using his Christmas picture as my avatar once it got a little closer to Christmas.

I actually only picked this picture because it made me laugh. The cowboy hat kills me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake

tolbiny
11-02-2004, 03:57 PM
It is very rare in restaurants like Applebees/chili's and mom and pop diners for staff to share tips (at least it was at the ones i worked at). However at higher end restaurants you do get pools... this allows for the hot girls to take the male parties and the hot guys to take the female ones....
I was a dishwasher...

tolbiny
11-02-2004, 04:33 PM
"think its true most people who have worked for tips tip very well for the rest of their lives"

I only tip moderately well-15%-20% range is average for me. I would tip more but for years before becoming a server i was a dishwasher/cook. I realized that besides a very good manager the people who work the hardest are dishwashers followed by fry cooks follwed by the servers. That impression has never left me, and neither has being repeatedly stiffed on my tip outs as a BOTH employee. As a server though i realize what it is like and always make sure my tip is at least 15%- with very poor service i may drop it to 10%, but thats it.

Jim Kuhn
11-02-2004, 07:25 PM
I have not read the other replies but hope to later. I ALWAYS leave a tip. If you receive very bad service leave at least a penny to ensure they know you are not a stiff but acknowledging the bad service. In this case it may not have been the waitresses fault and I would have spoke with management before deciding how much to tip. JMHO

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Duke
11-02-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy this at all, you are not obligated to tip poor service.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government seems to think you are. The servers get taxed on a percentage tips "predicted" based on their sales.

Taxing them on tips is quite gay, but it was never my call.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I am still not obligated to tip. The law is unjust, but its not my fault.

Ulysses
11-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Duke, I tipped your Mom 30%, cuz the service was real good.

Lawrence Ng
11-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi Spamuell,

Tips should be based on the service of the waiter service and quality of food. In this instance, it appears that neither deserved any praising and thus I don't believe you should offer any tips at all. It's all the more evident given you described many other tables were getting their food before you were. There's nothing more annoying than waiting and waiting for a meal without having a clue why it's not coming.

Having said this, I hate this system where tipping is percentage based depending on the outcome of the final bill. I have often times been to some very small local restaurants that offer wonderful meals for a low cost. The service at some these restaurants is wonderful. The waiters/waitresses know my name and are extremely friendly. Most of the time my bill comes to $20 or less for two people, but I often leave a $5 tip. Yet, when I head downtown to some fancier contemporary style restaurants the service may not be as good. My bill comes to over $100, yet I won't more than $10. This makes absolutely no sense imo. Tips should not be relative, but absolute based on quality of service and food and not cost of the total bill.

Diplomat
11-02-2004, 08:05 PM
EDDIE
All right. Everybody cough up some green for the little lady.

Come on. Throw in a buck.

MR. PINK
Uh-uh. I don't tip.

EDDIE
You don't tip?

MR. PINK
No - I don't believe in it.

EDDIE
You don't believe in tipping?

MR. BLUE
You know what these chicks make? They make [censored].

MR. PINK
Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.

(Mr. Blonde laughs.)

EDDIE
I don't even know a [censored] Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me just get this straight. You don't ever tip, huh?

MR. PINK
I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip, if they really put forth the effort, I'll give 'em something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.

(Eddie laughs.)

I mean as far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

MR. BLUE
Hey, this girl was nice.

MR. PINK
She was OK - but she wasn't anything special.

MR. BLUE
What's special, take you in the back and suck your dick?

(They laugh.)

EDDIE
I'd go over 12% for that.

MR. PINK
Hey Look, I ordered coffee, right? Now we've been here a long [censored] time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times

MR. BLONDE
Six times? Well, you know, what if she's too [censored] busy?

MR. PINK
Words "too [censored] busy" shouldn't be in a waitress' vocabulary.

EDDIE
Excuse me, Mr. Pink - the last [censored] thing you need's another cup of coffee.

MR. PINK
Jesus Christ - I mean these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage. And when I did, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job society deemed tip-worthy.

MR. BLUE
You don't care they're counting on your tips to live?

(Mr. Pink rubs two of his fingers together.)

MR. PINK
You know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

MR. WHITE
You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.

MR. PINK
So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them, do you? Why not? They're servin ya food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bullshit.

MR. WHITE
Waitressing is the number one occupation for female noncollege graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips.

MR. PINK
(pauses) [censored] all that.

(They all laugh.)

MR. BROWN
Jesus Christ!

MR. PINK
Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's [censored] up. That ain't my fault. It would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're giving me, I got two words for that: "Learn to [censored] type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big [censored]' surprise.

MR. ORANGE
Hey - he's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.

EDDIE
Hey! Leave the dollars there.

JOE
All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'. Wait a minute. Who didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
Mr. Pink.

JOE
Mr. Pink? Why not?

MR. ORANGE
He don't tip.

JOE
He don't tip? What do you mean you don't tip?

MR. ORANGE
He don't believe in it.

JOE
Shut up. What do you mean you don't believe in it? Come on, you, cough up a buck, you cheap bastard. I paid for your goddamn breakfast.

MR. PINK
Alright - since you paid for the breakfast, I'll put in, but normally I would never do this.

-Diplomat

Duke
11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She said you managed to get 90% of your shaft in, not just 30% of your tip.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She said you managed to get 90% of your shaft in, not just 30% of your tip.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

rusty JEDI
11-02-2004, 09:43 PM
I feel like adding something.

More often than not I get the exact same service on my $50 bill as i do my $10 bill. Someone please explain to me why one deserves a tip 5 times larger than the other.

rJ

Homer
11-02-2004, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like adding something.

More often than not I get the exact same service on my $50 bill as i do my $10 bill. Someone please explain to me why one deserves a tip 5 times larger than the other.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. Fight the system. I often tip the same amount on a $10 diner bill as I do on a $30-40 restaurant bill.

nothumb
11-02-2004, 09:55 PM
I am in a similar position to bdk in that I have worked in restaurants for years and generally tip very well.

I disagree with the idea of leaving no tip. No tip implies that the waitress deliberately snubbed you, acted unprofessionally, or something else truly unforgivable. I think the events are not clearly enough this case to leave no tip.

Part of the reason for this is that you don't give much information. How was the beverage service, both independently and compared to other patrons? How was her manner and attitude? How was yours?

Generally, if I am in your situation (where it is ambiguous but I believe the waitress is probably not acting up to snuff) I will probe somewhat. Ask what the problem is and give her a chance to get off the hook. Having worked in restaurants I am usually able to probe the issue without coming off like a total jerk; if you can't do this, don't try to probe at all. If the waitress apologizes, or gives a good reason, or improves after this, I will leave her at worst a standard tip. If she is rude, or is clearly giving me the runaround, or her service is still poor, I will probably tip less.

I tend to tip in the neighborhood of 20% most of the time. I also tend to get on well with service staff and get excellent service, though I tip above average for standard service as well. I find that, when I go out with people who don't treat employees as well or lack the skills to interact with them properly (like my Dad), I get worse service. So a lot of this is really based on your own actions. If you are polite and respectful and patient and still get the brush-off, I consider this grounds for a substandard tip, usually in the nine to ten percent range. If you are a dick and get bad service, I can't say you are a dick for leaving a bad tip specifically, but you are a dick in general and your poor experience is your own responsibility.

Please note that this last little diatribe is not a speculation on your behavior in this particle incident, merely a general rant.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 10:43 PM
good post NT.

Mars357
11-02-2004, 10:58 PM
This thread reminded me of a song by a band called LIVE that I used to really like... I have posted the lyrics here for your enjoyment

Waitress

come on baby leave some change behind
she was a bitch, but i don't care
she brought our food out on time
and wore a funky barrette in her hair

come on baby leave some change behind
she was a bitch but good enough
to leave some change, everybody's good
enough for some change

the girl's got family
she needs cash to buy aspirin for
her pain, everybody's good enough
for some change

we all get the flu, we all get aches
we've got to stick together
after all, everybody's good enough
for some change, SOME F U C K I N G CHANGE!!!