PDA

View Full Version : Too Optimistic at O8?

10-31-2001, 01:09 PM
Playing 50-100 O8 - Currently killed to 75-150. I'm in the 50 bb. LA calls UTG, SP1 - Very Solid player calls, SP2 - Very Solid Player 2 calls, LA2 calls, Fishy player on button calls FP, SB calls and I throw in a chip w/ A5h89.

I don't really like my hand, but there are 3 pretty big fish in the and I think that I can get out if I don't flop perfect.

See the flop 7 handed : Pot 7 SB.

Flop : 2h5sQd. All check.

Turn : 5c. All check to FP who bets. I had decided to fold if anyone bet on the flop or if any solid player bet on the turn, but since the FP bet from the button, I decided to re-evaluate.

This game is aggressive enough that the nut low draw would've bet the flop and my image is tight as I'm playing very tight and basically just playing better cards than the fish and showing down some winners.

I'm thinking that there's a reasonable chance I'm either winning or drawing to 9 outs for the high w/ any A,8,or 9 and worst case I'm drawing to 3 outs for the high if he's got 5Q. I also think I can make an emergency A8 low if I can clear the field.

I raise and like clockwork everyone folds to FP who re-raises. I call.

Pot : 13 SB.

River : Q. Board 25Q5Q.

I check, he bets and I call - since the Q hit, I like my A5 a lot better and figure I'll be right more than 1 in 13.

I thought the raise on the turn was the right play, any thoughts?

Also - I have yet to find many non-trips O8 hand that's not worth one chip, but I imagine there are some out there. Am I playing too loose in the BB calling the kill or in the SB calling the BB?

Results to follow.

10-31-2001, 01:11 PM
I called the river and was shown QJ95 so I was dead to a A for high, but I was very live for half as any low but an 8 and I'm good.

This player had been playing hands like QT77 and A678 all night so I thought there might be a good chance he didn't have a low - especially if he did have a 5.