PDA

View Full Version : Wait until the turn, or raise the flop?

Entity
11-02-2004, 03:29 AM
This question (not on this hand; just this question in general) is troublesome to me. Was waiting until the turn a good plan here, until UTG ruined it for me?

Reads: UTG and BB play any two preflop, and play them to the river. They will raise 2pr just about any time (1pr sometimes), and rarely notice the action to determine whether or not their hand is good.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (17 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Shillx
11-02-2004, 04:08 AM
This line seems perfect to me as long as the pot is small and the SB figures to fire again on the turn. If the pot were already big, then I would start collecting on the flop.

Another thing to consider is the rank of the straight. If you flop a small straight you would be more inclined to wait until the turn and hope that people make payoff hands by pairing up overcards.

The Shill

GrekeHaus
11-02-2004, 04:17 AM
I think your line here is fine here. The pot is small and the board is rainbow, so I might just call on the flop. This is one of the times it's probably worth slow playing a straight.

Way to pummel them on the turn. They never saw it coming. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

helpmeout
11-02-2004, 04:26 AM
Betting the flop wont get anyone to fold but it'll mean that they will all check to you on the turn.

I always wait for the turn here.

joker122
11-02-2004, 04:30 AM
This isn't the typical wait until the turn hand. Usually waiting means you have little pot equity on the flop and it will hopefully improve on the turn. This is a slowplay, which is fine when you flop the nuts on an unthreatening board. I would play the same.

nepenthe
11-02-2004, 04:34 AM
This is a textbook slowplay situation. The absolute nuts on a rainbow board, small pot on the flop, plus a perfect position with which to trap everyone on the expensive streets. There should be no question about how you played the hand.