PDA

View Full Version : decent sized pot worth a bluff?

helpmeout
11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: +2 Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTGfolds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

UTG+1 is pretty solid I'd expect probably AJs AQo or better. He/she paused a while on the turn before calling.

Was it worth going raising the turn hoping UTG+1 would fold or is it a bit too risky?

eric5148
11-02-2004, 12:19 AM
AQo is really a 3bet or fold hand IMO. A 3bet might knock out SB and UTG and give you some control over the raiser. If the raiser caps preflop, you can easily fold the flop if it doesn't hit you. A cold-call puts you in a very awkward position postflop, because now the raiser will keep going at you with overcards.

Your turn raise was horrible. You might as well flush 8 bucks down the toilet.

donny5k
11-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Bluff raising almost never works and I can safely say is never worth it.

Redeye
11-02-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is pretty solid I'd expect probably AJs AQo or better. He/she paused a while on the turn before calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true you, I think you should be folding this preflop. If the raiser was a little latter in position, 3-betting would be preferable to calling, IMO.

The flop call was fine I think, but the turn raise was bad. I think you should've folded to his turn bet. Even though your getting about 8:1 with 6 outs, the possibility of you being dominated really reduce your effective outs here.

Pil Sung Do
11-02-2004, 12:48 AM

Have you seen them make any big laydowns? The pause likely is them trying to figure out your hand (and I doubt that he/she put you on AQ). If I have a real hand here, unless I know the opponent VERY well, I think I'd call you down too.

I don't like the raise because you've shown no strength. Unless you've got a table image of a "trapper", your bet on the turn looks like a bluff or you caught a third 4.

Raise preflop or fold.

helpmeout
11-02-2004, 12:49 AM
The thing is would most players fold AK AQ type hands if raised on the turn?

Redeye
11-02-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is would most players fold AK AQ type hands if raised on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a bad or typical player there's no way they lay down AK or AQ here. The problem if its a decent player is that they're getting about 11:1 on the turn and so even if they hold AK or AQ, there is a good chance they will call hoping to hit on the river. I'm not really sure that this is profitable, but I may be wrong.