PDA

View Full Version : Do you use buttons for the blinds?

TenPercenter
11-01-2004, 10:46 PM

Mojo Tooth
11-01-2004, 10:49 PM
blind buttons are for missed blinds, or for temporarily marking the blind so that people can be moved from table to table

warewulf
11-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I understand using a Dealer button, but blind buttons become too much stuff to move around the table.

TenPercenter
11-01-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blind buttons are for missed blinds, or for temporarily marking the blind so that people can be moved from table to table

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains the huge pain-in-the-arse they were at a home game in which I recently played. I thought it was a complete waste of time to shuffle three buttons each hand.

Ten

Yawkey
11-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Blind buttons are extremely annoying, they never get passed properly. It's not like people are forgeting to throw their blinds in.

MIKSEN
11-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Pain in the neck ABSOLUTELY NOT

Caesars IN Kevin
11-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Just like mojo tooth said, blind buttons are used for dealers to indicate a person missing their blinds, not to pass with the dealer button. Thats like an oxymoron to pass blind buttons around

Bulldog
11-02-2004, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just like mojo tooth said, blind buttons are used for dealers to indicate a person missing their blinds, not to pass with the dealer button. Thats like an oxymoron to pass blind buttons around

[/ QUOTE ]

From www.m-w.com (http://www.m-w.com):

Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron
Pronunciation: "äk-sE-'mor-"än
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ox·y·mo·ra /-'mor-&/
Etymology: Late Greek oxymOron, from neuter of oxymOros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mOros foolish
: the most misused word in the English language

(may not be copied word-for-word /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

h0trod
11-02-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't like it, but the weekly game I play in insists on using them... even when it's down to heads-up, where the dealer has two buttons in front of him!

I've said something about it before but the argument was that people not noticing / knowing was slowing down the game. To be honest the extra buttons don't seem to slow the game down for us (we have two decks going), and we're all used it by now, it just seems unneccesary.

warewulf
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
That's the usual excuse for a home game to use something incorrectly -- WE'VE BEEN DOING IT THIS WAY FOR YEARS! Time to do it right!

warewulf

jmark
11-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Oh man I can't imagine passing 3 buttons around. I don't even like having a dealer button. It never gets passed around properly. What? You don't know who the dealer is this hand? IT'S THE GUY WITH THE DECK OF CARDS IN FRONT OF HIM.

If you use SB and BB buttons also, you might as well pass around UTG UTG+1, MP, LP buttons too.

Fins
11-02-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<snip>
If you use SB and BB buttons also, you might as well pass around UTG UTG+1, MP, LP buttons too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just have labeled sungalsses and pass those around! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

maryfield48
11-02-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From www.m-w.com (http://www.m-w.com):

Main Entry: ox·y·mo·ron
Pronunciation: "äk-sE-'mor-"än
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ox·y·mo·ra /-'mor-&/
Etymology: Late Greek oxymOron, from neuter of oxymOros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mOros foolish
: the most misused word in the English language

(may not be copied word-for-word /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

viz, Greg Raymer in his interview on Poker Lizard (http://www.pokerlizard.com/interviews/greg.htm):

"I never said “antique fossils”. Somebody else made up that oxymoron."

Sorry Greg, but it was too apropos to not be cited.

caser85
11-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Well we use them at our home games. I guess I just learned to play with them and am used to it. Maybe I'll try playing without them next week.

PhilTheThrill14
11-03-2004, 10:30 AM
The buttons you are referring to are "Missed Blind" buttons, not "Little Blind" and "Big Blind" buttons. Just an FYI.

We use them at most of our games because we have quite a few beginners that need reminding....

Bulldog
11-03-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
“antique fossils”

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an oxymoron. Passing blind buttons may be MORONIC, it's not an oxymoron. Completely unrelated, just like David Howard's use of the word "niggardly".

Yawkey
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The buttons you are referring to are "Missed Blind" buttons, not "Little Blind" and "Big Blind" buttons. Just an FYI.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a lot more sense. I have a friend who insists on using them just because they came with his chip set and he likes showing the whole thing off. Next time I play with him I will let him know how to show them off while doing it the right way!

maryfield48
11-03-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
“antique fossils”

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an oxymoron. Passing blind buttons may be MORONIC, it's not an oxymoron. Completely unrelated, just like David Howard's use of the word "niggardly".

[/ QUOTE ]

"Antique fossils" is not an oxymoron, it's a tautology. An oxymoron is the use of two contradictory terms in a phrase, such as, in golf, "iron woods". A tautology contains needless repetition, like "7 a.m. in the morning".

deacsoft
11-03-2004, 01:35 PM
There is no need.
Missed blind chips can come in handt thugh.

Lottery Larry
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I answered with the understanding that you meant "Missed Big Blind" and "Missed Little Blind" lammers.

To the person who said "the dealer is the button"- you may not see their hands holding the deck, the dealer may leave having someone else deal, etc.

Much easier to have a dealer button and pass around the table.