PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 9's

Luv2DriveTT
11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Uh oh... the dreaded check raise. I call, but my odds tell me I should fold, I am probably drawing dead. Villan has 3 of a kind? Aces?

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

My kind of card! But I made a HUGE mistake here while multi-tabling - I just called /images/graemlins/frown.gif

River: (7.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>.

Perhaps the call on the turn payed off, I haven't been able to cap the river in a long time... Purely dumb luck, I still don't like my turn play.

Comments on the flop &amp; turn please... Allthough I think I made a huge mistake on the turn, perhaps I am wrong?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
11-02-2004, 12:26 PM
BUMP

I need comments on the flop please. Should I have folded to the check raise? Is calling a dumb idea?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Slick Al
11-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Call the CR and check/fold unimproved on the turn. What hand are you drawing dead to? 66 (if so, congrats to him), AA (if so, mark him on your buddy list). He most likely has Ax, one 6, a flush draw (trying to buy it/get a cheap card), or A6 (best for you if you hit).

While you may not have the immediate outs to call, you'll get multiple bets when you do hit, and the Raise PF, bet/fold is one of the few things that really stand out in my opinion.

Also, raise the turn /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al

LowDown22
11-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I will start off by saying I hate 99. On the flop, if anyone has an Ace or 6 you're in big trouble. However, since you raised preflop and it's only 3way and MP1 checked, I think it's worth it to represent the Ace and bet. Once you get checkraised I'd call and plan on folding the turn to a bet. Lucky for you, you got your 9. At this point I'd bet/raise pretty much the whole way.

jrz1972
11-02-2004, 12:42 PM
You're a 22-1 underdog assuming MP1 has an A or a 6 (which seems overwhelmingly likely). You're only getting 8.5-1 odds on the flop. This is a clear fold.

Yes, I know you ended up hitting on the turn and wound up getting just over a 22-1 payoff, but I don't think you can reasonably expect a player with just top pair to cap with you.

Entity
11-02-2004, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're a 22-1 underdog assuming MP1 has an A or a 6 (which seems overwhelmingly likely). You're only getting 8.5-1 odds on the flop. This is a clear fold.

Yes, I know you ended up hitting on the turn and wound up getting just over a 22-1 payoff, but I don't think you can reasonably expect a player with just top pair to cap with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only problem with that assessment is that there are image concerns to go along with it. I don't want to encourage my opponents to take c/r's at me with scary boards when I've got hands like KK and they're bluff-raising with 77. Odds say this is a clear fold, but in practical concerns, it's a bit closer. Metagame decisions make this a bit more difficult.

Once you hit, you need to raise the turn.

Rob

jrz1972
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, maybe this is an example of "Loose Flop Call" a la SSHE. It still doesn't seem that close to me, but maybe this is one I should go ahead and make early in a session.

Entity
11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe this is an example of "Loose Flop Call" a la SSHE. It still doesn't seem that close to me, but maybe this is one I should go ahead and make early in a session.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, the call is pretty much for metagame considerations only, which are small considerations at these levels. Even so, I'm still calling most of the time here, rather than folding.

Rob