PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: Hangar One

citanul
11-01-2004, 08:11 PM
In honor of Halloween this year, I had people over for dinner, movies, and booze.

While at the liquor store, I picked up the El Diablo recommended Hangar One, in Mandarin flavor.

Bottle:

The bottle is nice. If you're either a person who likes a nice bottle, or has friends over who are impressed by silly stuff like that, you won't be disappointed. While not as classic as the Absolut bottle and not quite as elegant as the Van Gogh bottle, it's got it's own thing going for it.

Fru Fru factor:

Well, every bottle comes with a tag around its neck stating that it Hangar One is different because they do so and so, and notedly use real fruits to generate their fruit flavors, instead of additives. The tag also announces that the contained vodka goes well in mixed drinks. Fru Fru factor only significant if you consider mixed vodka drinks fru fru.

Cost:

I think it was $27 for a 750 ml bottle. More than many vodkas, less than few. But about the same as the "comparable" vodkas.

Taste: (the important one)

I consumed this vodka in 3 ways: drank a glass chilled straight up, a vodka tonic, and my gf's creation, a vodka tonic with an orange lollipop disolved in it. All three were quite good. The taste is very clean and smooth, which a slight peppery taste that some people don't like in their vodkas and others do. I personally do, especially in vodka tonics. No aftertaste, no quesiness inspired by consumption, just nice vodka taste, with a subtle but there taste of orange.

The trip went excellently. All parties concerned were pleased with the results of the vodka and the french canadian beer purchased for the evening, though some probably don't remember it all very well. Those interested in high proof beers should check out the new American releases from the company that produces Fin du Monde.

Happy drinking.

citanul