PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome 5-10 Stud hand

10-20-2001, 02:48 PM
You want hands? We got hands. Playing 5-10 stud home game ($1 ante, no bring in, high card has option to check or bet on 3rd). I start with a 2 (K,K) buried. Checked to me, and I bet. One caller, with a 3 up, is drunk and somewhat loose, but he also has a modicum of common sense. He is usually tight earlier in the hand but if he is in at 5th, he is most likely seeing the river unless there is heavy fire.

4th Street (BTW, suits don't matter in this hand, he had a complete rainbow board)

Me: (K,K) 2 7

Him: (x,x) 3 4

I bet $5, he calls (I don't think anyone could argue with this one)

5th Street

Me(K,K) 2 7 7

(x,x) 3 4 5

I bet $10, he calls (he is NOT prone to raise a draw and I am somewhat sure he could be on one with something like a small pair). I have to bet with Kings Up.

6th Street

Me (K,K) 2 7 7 6

Him (x,x) 3 4 5 2

This is where I may have made a mistake. I was getting run over in this game with bad beats, and this is the card I did not want to see. I disgutedly check, and he checks. Should I have bet? I don't want to give a free card if he is still drawing, but I don't want to be raised either as I feel I would have to fold. I want to show this hand down. Is my thinking wrong here?

River

I check in the dark hoping he will check a straight fearing I have a boat. He checks blind also and shows that he rivered an Ace for the wheel of death. He had 3's the whole way, and I didn't catch (God help me). Have no mercy, where if anywhere could I have played better?).

Jeff

10-20-2001, 03:34 PM
There's an arguement to be made for betting on 6th street and calling any raise since you've got outs to the full house on the river. But it's a marginal situation. Betting into his board is the same as betting into a board with a four-flush on it. It's risky.

There's nothing you could have done to win this pot. There'e certainly no reason for him to fold on 6th street. You played the hand correctly and got beat. Give him another beer.

10-20-2001, 04:14 PM
i think he made a mistake in not betting on 6th street and the river. be happy you saved some money.

10-20-2001, 08:17 PM
Dear Jeff,

I love one or two players like your opponent at my table

after they have been drinking heavily.

To determine whether your opponent is playing a straight

draw, go back to 3rd. St. and put him on at least three possible

hands:a 3-Str.(A 2 3),(3 4 5);split 3's with an "A" kicker.

If he had(A 2 3),he would have raised you on 5th. St.;if he had

(3 4 5),his holding is two small pairs with no Str.

Since he played tightly on 3rd. St.,those are the only possible

3rd. St. hands I would put him on.

Now to answer your questions.

(1) You should have continued your drive on 6th. St.

(2) Never check in the dark. Always look at your 7th. St.

card for additional information.

Larry"Sitting Bull"Duplessis

10-20-2001, 10:26 PM
I think this is a frequent mistake that many players make. It should be an almost automatic bet here. If he has the straight you will likely get raised unless you are against an expert player or a really bad one. By checking you offer a free card which if your opponent only has a naked draw he will take, or he will bet leaving you with very little idea where you stand. Any good player would bet in this situation after you checked whether they had a straight or not, so you gain no info from his bet.

Pat

10-20-2001, 10:41 PM
Jeff: You violated one of The Kount's main rules for low limit stud. Always bet on sixth street. See www.annabelles-treasures.com/poker (http://www.annabelles-treasures.com/poker) or www.thepokerforum.com/pokerstrategies (http://www.thepokerforum.com/pokerstrategies)

10-21-2001, 12:34 AM
But if I bet 6th street and am raised, do I check and fold the river? Or if he calls, should I bet the river and call a raise? Or is this all about feel?

Jeff

10-21-2001, 01:26 AM
Jeff,

You played the hand fine. ( except fo checking dark. Big no-no ).. An argument could be made for betting 6th, but I don't believe checking is really a mistake.

Your opponent is the one who played horribly. HE missed 2 bets on 6th and 7th.

'The Kount' - Always betting 6th street?????? If there is any 'rule' in poker, it is to 'never ALWAYS do something'

Later,

CJ

10-21-2001, 10:39 AM
It's a low limit rule. If your at 6th street and don't bet you shouldn't be there. Why give them a free card at that point? If you looking for information it is too laate. So Always bet.

10-21-2001, 04:24 PM
It's a very incorrect "rule".

And I've noticed the exact opposite of what you say. Players do NOT fold on 6th street at 1-5 or 5-10 stud very often. Not in Vegas.

There are hands I could be holding on 6th street which I don't want to bet. An unimproved four-flush is an easy example. I'd rather see the river card for free.

10-21-2001, 08:43 PM
I think you are making the wrong play many times when you check an unimproved fourflush on sixth street. There are undoubtedly times when it is correct. But if your opponent will check the river if you bet on sixth street but will bet if you checked on sixth street, then it is better to bet. This is because when you make your flush you get an extra bet, and also if you happen to get a pair on the river you want to be able to check it down. This is especially true if you have a threatening board.

Pat

10-21-2001, 11:30 PM
If I'm the one who has been betting throughout the hand, then I agree a 6th street bet is best. However, if someone else who I've put on a big pair suddently checks on 6th street (perhaps because he has only one pair and is getting nervous) then I'm satisfied to just check behind him. These types of players may not be willing to bet a lone pair of Aces or Kings on sixth street but they definitely won't fold them here or on the river.

If I've got a threatening boards such as four to a flush showing or a staight-draw, then I'm definitely betting as well in the hope of winning the pot immediately.

10-22-2001, 12:37 PM
I think you are correct, but if my board was threatening I do not know if I would be able to resist a bet!

pat