PDA

View Full Version : NL Tourney early stages? (all-in question)

Game
11-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi

New to the site, which has a wealth of information from many positive posters.
Seems like a lot of information to take in.

In a NL Holdem Tourney in the early stages
You know that you are an above average player BUT not ONE of the BEST PLAYERS there.

Does these ALL-IN cards seem right before the FLOP?
GO ALL IN before FLOP
AA
KK
QQ
AK

CALL ALL IN
AA
KK
QQ
JJ
AK

Please any advice
will be helpful

Thanks in advance Game

AceKQJT
11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Hmmmm. Seems like the list is transposed. I would say that any time you can get all of your chips in pre-flop with AA, you should do it. If you are going to play "all-in-or-fold" hold'em, then I would say Open all-in with AA, KK, QQ, AK". Call all-in with AA or KK.

You may add a few extra hands to your "Open All-in" set, like maybe JJ & TT, but I certainly wouldn't call all-ins with any mor ehands than I've mentioned above.

In any event, there are much better ways to play poker than this style I am talking about. Learn to use your chips and position, in concert with the hand you've been dealt, to outplay your opposition.

--Casey

zaxx19
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Wow im gonna have to refrain from using the word donkey here its gonna be hard but i'll do my best...

I always want to get all the money in a pot with KK or AA. While im really a tight aggressive player at heart; if im not gonna gamble with these 2 hands preflop I'd really have to give up nl tourneys.

QQ is a little trickier if i believe there is a reasonable chance a raiser will fold i might make a move with QQ early in a tourney. The regulars on this site call that fold equity or something ...i just add it to my possible outcome probabilities in EV.

EARLY IN A TOURNEY I HATE CALLING ANY ALL -IN WITH AK

I wrote about this more extensively in a previous thread(one in which i did use the word donkey). Basically the reason why is bc when yu do call an all-in with AK yur probably a small dog and possible a huge one-very very rarely you might be a favorite. If you believe your at the very least an avg player in the tournament why would you get all your money in play as a dog?? And like i said yu might be a huge dog if AA lurks so thats a negative on AK.

Puzzling is why yur list of calling hands is longer than moving in hands...

Generally yu need a somewhat stronger hand to call than to bet- it has to do with that folding equity thingy...
i think calling an all in with JJ against any sizeable stack is just a horrible play...yur either a huge dog or a tiny favorite and like i said if you can play flops why would you want to get your money in with situations like this???

Did that help?? Im operating one like 3 hours sleep here so i apologize if my post is less than clear lol

Game
11-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Zaxx

I thought I read that QQ or JJ is a favorite over AK. That is why it is a good call to go all in.

only KK and AA is better.

zaxx19
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
GET THIS

22 is a fav over AK so is 33 44 55 66....

yu getting the picture?? the catch is AK is like 47% versus most of these whereas 22 is 12% against qq see the difference??
basically when yu play Ak yur gambling and alot of NLH is being aggressive and willing too gamble more than the next player...

see doyle brunson's book SUPER SYSTEM and particularly the section on NLH immediately youll learn a ton and its written in a easy to read style. YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK!!

Game
11-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Zaxx

yes 22 and JJ is favorite over AK but
JJ is more favorite

reason why is becuase high cards which will help AK may also halp give JJ a straight.

where as if you have 22 and get high cards on the flop that cannot help 22

Yes, just bought Doyles book. I will read the book soon

zaxx19
11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
JJ IS BETTER BUT GUESS WHAT ONLY .6% BETTER SO DONT EVEN WORRY ABOUT THAT......

MrX
11-01-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zaxx

yes 22 and JJ is favorite over AK but
JJ is more favorite

reason why is becuase high cards which will help AK may also halp give JJ a straight.

where as if you have 22 and get high cards on the flop that cannot help 22

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, but your explanation is wrong.

I will post the reason why in 90 minutes if you have not figured it out.

MrX

Shilly
11-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Because the board can counterfeit your hand more easily.

MrX
11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because the board can counterfeit your hand more easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding..We have a winner.

The straights a JJ makes are inconsequential compared to the straights 22 can make (which often include an A that helped the AK hand).

Much more frequently there will be two pair on the board which kill the pocket 2's, unless there happens to be a two on the board as well.

Excellent quick response and bonus points for using the term "counterfeit". A term you hardly hear holdem players use.

MrX

lastchance
11-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Depends on how crappy the players are. Considering a tourney filled with fish, I would find it very hard to fold QQ preflop, and would almost always raise all-in with it (people are calling with hands QQ has owned, like AQ, JJ, TT, sometimes worse).

Same with JJ and AK, I'd move in, though I could fold to the all-in bet. Both depend on how lucky (AKA how many times they've went all-in with crap and survived) the players are.

TT and AQ are also possible calls to a really lucky player. Other than that, probably don't want to go in. But remember, there's always possible postflop action.

zaxx19
11-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Mr xx, the answer WAS wrong but i didnt write it look again!!

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM SOMEONE ELSE SO CHECK 2X IF YUR GONNA FLAME............