PDA

View Full Version : How should I Maximize value on this hand?

Bropago
11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.25 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>

davelin
11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Capping the turn and 3-betting the river are good places to start.

Bulbarainey
11-01-2004, 05:52 PM
i would cap and reraise,i put him on AA or AK, but its way more likely he would have AK, and thus cap

vetman81
11-01-2004, 05:54 PM
You definitely need to cap the turn and 3 bet the river. The only hand you are behind here is a set of aces, but more likely AK or AQ. If he has aces, so be it, but you should still cap the turn and reraise the river.

afk
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Capping the turn and 3-betting the river are good places to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOMSHAKALAKALAKA!

jrz1972
11-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Anybody else think he should cap the turn and 3-bet the river?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

meep_42
11-01-2004, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would cap and reraise,i put him on AA or AK, but its way more likely he would have AK, and thus cap

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3 Aces and 1 King left in the deck, making:
6 AA combos and 3 AK combos.

CO has bet and raised at every chance, preflop and postflop, I don't think you can automatically say that AA isn't out there. What other 3-betting hands would show this aggression throughout? TT, JJ, QQ would be in call-down or fold after the flop. AQ you're way ahead of, AK you're way ahead of, AA you're way behind. With no flush or straight draws looking at me on this board, I cap the turn, bet out and call a raise on the river.

-d

cnfuzzd
11-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Its good for your karma to lose a set of kings to a set of aces. Do what they said.

peace

john nickle

RED_RAIN
11-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm a bit surprised/disappointed that so many people are like raise, raise, raise! (other than meep_42)

I think people need to realize the Hero capped it preflop, got raised on the flop when an Ace fell (extremely like that the player has As or Ax).

The hero check/raises the turn, fairly easily giving off that he has AK or a set of Ks but still opponent 3 bets turn.

Now that I think about it, if I think there is a higher chance this player (player dependent) has AA, I'd bet out on the turn, if he rasies, call down, if he just calls, then keep betting.

The river 3 bet is pretty dumb IMO.

When do you guys ever believe a set of As? The CO raising the flop after a preflop capper, and raising a check/raise on the turn with an Ace and King in the hand is just retarded without an extremely strong hand (as in AK is the weakest hand).

The river raise tells me AA IMO, that's why I wouldn't 3 bet.

cnfuzzd
11-02-2004, 03:05 AM
3/6 i agree with you. .5/1, and i am unwilling to believe that villian is even aware he is playing against someone.

peace

john nickle

elitegimp
11-02-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There are 3 Aces and 1 King left in the deck, making:
6 AA combos and 3 AK combos.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are 3 AA as well - here's the list:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

RED_RAIN
11-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Once again, I doubt many play that much different that we are able to move up and not keep bad habits if we form them?

I am trying to be a great poker player, I don't play for money as my #1 thing, I like the money so I can get into higher games.

I will give up a little bit of my win rate to be able to beat higher games when I make transitions.

Also, let's not get into posting stupid crap (not saying this post is), I can pull out hands where the guy bet or raised me every street to show a pocket pair of 5s to my second nut straight. But if you can't be realistic about hands, then no point.

If I know the right move in a hand, I will play it the same in 2/4 or 10/20.

Vagrant
11-02-2004, 03:40 AM
In my opinion, it is just as likely in a micro limit game that the villan has A3 or A6 or possibly just high pair. But in a situation where you have a set of kings with no flush on board and only a ragged unlikely straight on board, I think getting as many raises in as you can is +EV.

cnfuzzd
11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
I understand what you are saying, and am not disgree with you. The right play in a particular hand, with particular players, is the right play at .02/.04 or 500/100. However, when determing what the right play is you must take into account whatever read you have on any particular person, and use any information of said player to determine what the right action is. I think that the differences of .50/1 and 3/6 are well established. The lower limit players are loose, and often more aggressive, with a wider array of hands. The higher limit players are often more selective, not to be complimentaary, of the hands they choose to play.
Because of the extra loose-ness, the range of hands that you can put opponents on in .50/1 us wider than in higher limit games, especially when you have no information to the contrary. You simply have to add a few extra hands when considering your opponents holding.

I think this hand is a perfect example of this. Your opponents *seems* to be telling you AA, but really you are just assuming that this is how YOU, as a presumably decent poker player, would play a set of aces. Fortuanatly for us, our competition is, hopefully, much worse at poker than we are. You therefore have to assume what hands villiam could be playing in this manner, and i think the above read is an acceptable factor in doing so.

I do think the above is slightly dangerous. As i have always moved up, i am both giving higher limit players too much, and sometimes too little, credit. I dont think this negates using metagames to influence player reads.

Now that ive said that, i know this schmoe has AA.

peace

john nickle