PDA

View Full Version : Holdem with the Bug!

10-18-2001, 08:52 PM
I was playing in a home game recently, and it was decided to play 5/10 holdem including a joker in the pack, to be used as a bug (to complete straights, flushes or straight flushes, otherwise an Ace).

It made for a very interesting game, and obviously created some strange hands, such as tied Ace high flushes etc. Also havoc can be created when the joker hits the river, as everyone now made whatever they were drawing to, and a set or 2 pair becomes essentially worthless.

Any hand containing the Joker demands to be played, but what sort of conditions should i put on preflop raising with the joker? Obviosly Ace Joker is the best hand one can be dealt, but is a hand like 5 joker that can make so many straights worthy of a raise?

Also automatically raising with the joker gives your hand away to an extent, so should i just call a raise as opposed to reraising with a hand like Ace Joker?

10-18-2001, 11:35 PM
Just like with AA in Holdem, Always raise and re-raise with A-bug in this game. Always, Always, Always.

10-19-2001, 03:39 PM
ive plyed alot of holdem with the joker. most times if you dont have it in your hand, just figure that any money you put in the pot was a gift to the person that did have it. the only hands in a game with a small or medium ante that could be played would be pairs carefully and ak and aq suited, unless headup, than ace king.

10-19-2001, 08:11 PM
I did notice that anyone having the joker seemed to be a license to make money. If you didnt have it and the board came 4 to a straight of flush it was a nightmare.

I suggested to compensate slightly that we can make it so that anyone holding the joker must use both hole cards to make a hand. Most thought this was a good idea. Also i thought changing the structure so that waiting for the joker is costly. I thought 3 blinds and an ante should get things going. $1 ante, $2,$3, and $5 blinds in a 7 handed game creates a lot of action.

10-19-2001, 09:59 PM
and give everyone a chance????