PDA

View Full Version : No Limit O8

10-16-2001, 05:44 PM
I posted this under Other Poker Games too, but thought since it was No - Limit, I get some good responses here.

The game is 2-5 blind, No limit dealers choice. Omaha, Omaha/8 and holdem.

I usually prefer to play NLH, but these players are holdem players who have little clue how to play O8 well, so I'm tempted to deal O8.

My question is this : How tight is too tight in No Limit O8?

I'm pretty sure that bare A2 hands are no good here. I played once before and had to have A23 or A25s or better to play and wanted to flop an lock-low draw and a flush draw or flop a wrap-wheel draw(better if the low hits on the flop and it's not a draw) before committing much of my stack. In a game where people will prolly go all-in whenever they have a nut(even if it's a nut straight w/ low already there and flush draw there ie, 9T goes all in on 6c7c8h board), what are the real money making hands? Do I get it all in w/ nut low DRAW and nut flush DRAW or just wait till I make the nut low + redraws or nut nut and look to 3/4 players to death? Also, I plan to throw away bare nut lows(A2xx on board of 456) if any money goes in...is that too tight?

Thanks.

PS - It really is amatuer hour at this game, these guys don't realize how bad a game NL Omaha is if you play it well.

10-16-2001, 07:56 PM
My question is this : How tight is too tight in No Limit O8?

If all you're playing are hands like A23 or A25s or better .. I'm amazed that you get any action at all when you do get one of these playable hands ..

Obviously you have to be folding a very large percentage of hands ...

Do the other players tend to fold quickly if you're in - or - do they play anyway ???

10-16-2001, 10:57 PM
you do need redraws in no limit at this game to play big pots. smaller pots can be played with anything when you feel you can rob the pot. very tight play when the pot is building is in order. even tighter than you think.

please dont cross post as it makes a split up discusion, and i think its in bad form. but i know you didnt know that so im really saying this for everyone.

10-17-2001, 12:09 AM
Of course, all Omaha posts, regardless of the stakes, belong on this forum. The other forum is for High Stakes Holdem. I've often wondered why so many posters haven't noticed this.

10-17-2001, 12:18 PM
Good point - I'll keep Omaha posts here, thanks for the responses.

As to getting no action - certain players won't give action, but that is only a handful of good players who I'm not really 'targetting' anyway - I'd prefer to avoid any pots they are in b/c I know they play well.