PDA

View Full Version : JTs in big hand - right agression level?

John Paul
11-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Did I use the right agression level on this hand? UTG was new to the table so I had no read to go on. Hard to put him on a hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

jrz1972
11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I would have capped the turn. Otherwise I think you played it fine.

I'm wondering if this is a situation where you might just call the flop. Granted, you have a great hand and it feels weird not to raise with it (you certainly would have bet if UTG didn't), but a raise blasts everybody else out of the pot, which isn't what you want. Maybe I'm biased by having seen the results of the raise.

deacsoft
11-01-2004, 04:14 PM
I cap the turn and call the 3-bet on the river.

PhatPots
11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't have raised the flop. U want to get other callers to make the pot fatter. In this situation, I would just call UTG's bet and hope someone in a late position raises, then I'd probably re-raise it. I think I would have capped that turn as well.

meep_42
11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I like a call on the flop, as facing the field with 2-cold doesn't make you as much money on this one. Once you trip on the turn, ram and jam.

-d

siccjay
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I'd say you are a pretty big favorite, no need to knock people out on the flop.

Fish McPants
11-01-2004, 04:52 PM
I would've played this a little bit differently.

Preflop: I really like the call here.
Flop: Probably just call here.
Turn: Easy call
River: Call

btspider
11-01-2004, 04:59 PM
PF: easy

Flop: meh, maybe call, but look to 3-bet if someone raises. these people will cold-call a lot anyway. you have to improve to win, so keeping them around won't hurt you too much (its not like you are cleaning up an overcard out).

Turn: raise is good. His 3-bet is worrysome. Passive players (assume typical until proven otherwise..) betting like this are now telling you they can beat trips.. not good on this board. A cap is close.. but fine.

River: you have a flush, but nothing has really changed. you didn't pass any hand you were behind to on the turn except KJ/QJ.. which is mighty unlikely. If you capped the turn.. I would just call his bet.. He'll 3-bet if he has the boat. No turn cap and I think you have to get one raise in. Capping this river is reckless.

mephisto2000
11-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Flopraise was good because you had 5 opponents with you.

Cap the turn. The only hand that UTG could have to beat your trips are 55, AJ or AA but AA is unlikely because he didn't raise pre-flop. Anything else you have beat. If he made the boat then so be it but he might just overplay Aces.

John Paul
11-01-2004, 06:08 PM
It turns out the villian had A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and took down the pot with a full house.

Thanks for all the comments. In retrospect I would make the flop raise again - I had a lot of potential but lots of folks could have outdrawn me, so I think lots of callers is a mixed bag here. I would call the 3-bet on the turn, and just call the river. I was about to be the BB in a couple of hands, and had already decied to stop playing when the blind hit me, and I rushed through this hand. When he 3-bet the river after my flop raise, I should have seen that he had to have something good, or at least give him a little credit as he was unknown to me. Slow-played AA (I see that a lot) and AJ were the most likely hands, but I did not stop to really think.

Congrads to btspider for good analysis.

Oh well