PDA

View Full Version : Home Game - Question on AA

Stronghands
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
This is my first tournament post, so I'm not sure what information is relevant. Please bare with me.

I'm playing at a home game with 6 other people. The top 2 places get money while 3rd gets the buy-in returned.

Noone has been eliminated, everyone has ~250 in chips (except one guy who took a big pot - his stack size is irrelevant, he folds pre flop) blinds are 15 and 30.

I'm dealt two red aces under the gun. I call looking for the opportunity to re-raise. (Is this a bad idea in a tourney?). Folded around to the button who calls, SB completes and BB checks.

Flop comes QsTc8c. That is one coordinated board. SB checks, BB goes all-in. I fold : (

It seems to me that the board is way too coordinated, and since I'm not close to the money, I'd better play it safe. If the Q were a K or a 5, I would have probably insta-called, but with 3 to a straight and 2 to a flush I had no piece of combined with my having no idea where I was (thanks to the PF call), I thought better to fight and run away...

Anyway, to compound a potentially horribly weak play, I showed my aces. At the time, I thought it would build my table image as rock-like (so that people would "know" if I were in a pot with them, that I must have something good). It turns out, people just thought it was an incredible blunder (and it may well have been). Thoughts on showing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jackarama_
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
the danger of slow playing aces /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NorCalJosh
11-01-2004, 02:33 PM
yes you would be drawing slim to dead against a BB special hand like T8 or J9, and i suppose Q8 or Q10 are also possibilities, but you range from vastly ahead to slight favorite in any draw he could have, and only a slight dog to something as improbable as the OESFD. if he does have two pair, you still have a number of redraws, although it'd be nice if you had Ac there obviously. *shrugs* i'd call and cross my fingers, and then kick myself all night for letting him in for free if he'd flopped two pair or the like, which would be my best guess at it if he had a made hand instead of a draw. i mean thats a huge overbet though. anyways. done now.

Cleveland Guy
11-01-2004, 02:46 PM
With blinds of 15/30 and stacks all around 250 I'm not sure I'm slow playing anything.

I would have set out a bet UTG. It sounds like the table was passive, so why let everyone in on the cheap? Were most hands being raised by a late position?

The limp-reraise only works at aggressive tables.

Stronghands
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all of the responses so far.

Good point about the passive table. Yes, I do think the table was mostly passive. SB often tried to steal when he sensed weakness. Before I bet, I paused a moment to judge whether I would be raised. Then, I thought it would be a waste if I were simply to take the blinds. Hence the call : (

If I were to raise, I might have gone up to 75. That likely would have taken it down right there. But, I'm really not sure what a good proportion would be - especially given everyone's ~250 stacks. Anyone have ideas on general raising standards (e.g. Just 2x, 3-4x BB?) for similar situations? What if we had deeper stacks (say 15-20x BB)?