PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Revolver

bwana devil
11-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Going to see Velvet Revolver tonight in Austin. I'll give a trip report tomorrow. This is the third date for the show. Hopefully it will go on tonight if Scott Weiland can keep himself from getting arrested before showtime.

I saw GnR on their last Illusions tour in Austin. Great show. I went to see STP in Dallas before they broke out big. They were to open for Butthole Surfers. It was an outdoor show and got rained out. A mini-riot ensued once it was announced there was not show. Bottles were flying. People climbing the rafters. Riot police came in and started fighting the crowd. Big adrenaline rush.

Also, Cardboard Vampire played here last night. That band is comprised of Billy Duffy from the Cult and the songwriter from Alice in Chains (whose name escapes me right now). Paper billed it as a poor-man's Velvet Revolver. Kinda funny but true. I still wouldn't have minded seeing them though since I loved the Cult and also dug AiC.

bwana

bugstud
11-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Jerry Cantrell is in a band now? weird...

Yeah, I'd love to hear a trip report.

Boris
11-01-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the songwriter from Alice in Chains (whose name escapes me right now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Cantrell. IMO the most talented song-writer/musician out of all those mentioned. On paper the Cardboard Vampire band sounds like a better combo. I'm a big G-n-R fan but never did care much for STP.

bwana devil
11-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Great show. They started about 1015pm. Came out and started w/ the first on the album Sucker Train Blues. I was about thirty feet from the stage over on the right side. I had a good view of the band w/ Slash on the side of the stage I was standing on. Duff ran around pretty much the entire show. Scott Weiland is one skinny dude. He must not weigh much more than 160 lbs. He was running around w/ his shirt off, leather pants, a sash around his waist and a gay style motorcycle hat on (and I use gay in the literal sense). Often times he sang into a bull horn and placed the mic in front of the bullhorn. He’s kind of a rock n roll cartoon character.

They pretty much ran through their whole album. About half way through they busted out Sex Type Thing and did a great It’s so Easy. During their encore they played a pretty decent acoustical Used to Love Her with Duff on vocals.

Last song they played was Slither which was really energetic. I took some good video w/ my camera phone (albeit in 15 second captures) during this song but the sound quality on the video is horrendous. I was really surprised how good the video quality is on it (Samsung MM-A700).

I had my ear plugs firmly in place during most of the show. I lost a lot of hearing during my teen years and can’t afford to lose much more. I pulled the plugs during a few songs here and there so I could absorb it all but only would keep them out for one song at a time. I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn’t like the ringing, dizziness and disorientation that follow concerts.

They finished up after about 1 ½ hours. Those forty year olds can still rock. They had high energy and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. I give the show a solid B+.

bugstud
11-02-2004, 11:50 AM
get there early so you're close enough that it isn't an issue...went to a metallica concert and managed to not have any ringing, soreness and the like.

bwana devil
11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Coincidentally, I suspect a Metallica concert was one time I did some permanent damage and I was about two or three people back from the front. It was my first real concert when they were on their Justice tour. As I'm typing this I can hear the ringing.

bugstud
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
my venue was a small civic center arena-type deal. THe large stacks were suspended above the stage where if you behind it you were going deaf. I was in front of it.