PDA

View Full Version : Was it too early to go all-in in these two?

Mjonasson
11-01-2004, 10:25 AM
My first posted hands. When I review these hands I feel a little bit like I went All-In too early in the game with too bad hands. What do you think?

#1:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

Button (t960)
Hero (t680)
BB (t2580)
UTG (t2315)
MP (t665)
CO (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of t100.
BB calls t100, UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: (t200) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (t200) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, Hero calls t580 (All-In).

River: (t1380) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1380

#2:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

UTG+1 (t695)
Hero (t740)
MP2 (t1040)
MP3 (t1015)
CO (t1110)
Button (t645)
SB (t1140)
BB (t470)
UTG (t1145)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, SB calls t150, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t450) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t560 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t560.

River: (t1570) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1570

luvrhino
11-01-2004, 10:34 AM
The first one, you have nothing and there's a good chance you have only a 4 outer. If he has only a pair of jacks, then you have 10 outs. Since the pot is only 200 at the time of your opp's All-in, you're risking way too much.

The last one is fine and he's acting like there's a good chance he was on a flush draw. Only two hands beat you (TT and 66). If your opp has one of these two, it's a Bad Beat and move onto the next one.

etgryphon
11-01-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree that going all-in the first one is bad...

You have to put him on the Ace or the Jack. That means if he has the Ace you have only four outs to the T which may means you need at least 10+:1 pot odds to make sense, but then again you are in an ugly position with your chip stack. If you are all fired up about going all-in you would have to do it on the flop to make it even remotely worth it. But, if he has the A or the J he would be correct to call, you would be just hoping to scare him out.

Second on...Perfect time. If he has you beat, he has you beat...get a beer and say "It's over the long haul, It's over the long haul..." again and again to make yourself feel better.

-Gryph

Mjonasson
11-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Thats what I thought too. I forgot to mention that in #1 the BB is a aggressive/semi-bluffing player so I thougth he was bluffing. But again, when I analyze the hand afterwards, it was a pretty bad call.

Mjonasson
11-01-2004, 12:28 PM
*singin* "It's over the long haul, It's over the long haul..." The guy had TT giving him higher full house than me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mistrpug
11-01-2004, 01:11 PM
On the first hand, if you're gonna call an all-in bet, why not just go all-in and try to win the hand without a fight? Considering the way the hand played out, I think betting all-in on the flop would be a much better play.

TheDrone
11-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Hand 1: I am suprised no one suggested pushing preflop. With your stack size I would push before the flop with KQo every time*.

* - excluding corner cases.

stlip
11-02-2004, 11:00 AM
How did you avoid the temptation to raise PF on the 2nd hand?

I'm relatively new to NL play so perhaps this is why I'm struggling, but I would have been more aggressive PF and also would have put in a bigger bet when my set hit, something like t200 because I definitely don't want someone making a straight or flush against me and I'm willing to take this hand all-in right now because there aren't enough chips in one of these tournaments to convince me that my 99 ran up against TT and then both came on the flop.

Chief911
11-02-2004, 11:11 AM
I think you really made a poor play on the first hand. You MIGHT consider pushing here yourself, but even this is a VERY risky play for a very small pot. When he pushes your answer is clear, fold. You have nothing, and if you are up against an A, you are dead.

Read TPFAP, and understand the gap concept very clearly. It'll help your game alot.

Hand 2 you played very well. Played for set value on the flop, got it, and protected against a heart draw. Got your boat, and you can't put your opponent on 66 or TT, so 98% of the time, your hand is good. Good play.

Nick

luvrhino
11-02-2004, 11:48 AM
It was early (Level 2) in the tourney, so hands like 99 should be played for set value rather than risk going bust with them. Sure, i lose some pots that i would have won had i raised, but those pots are small enough that i don't think the reward/risk ratio is in favor of raising.

captZEEbo1
11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
hand 1, clear clear fold, but yeah, I might have pushed pf. Ask yourself, if the board was A97, turn 7 would you still have called? Gutshot draws are tempting, but with one card to come, they are terrible.

hand 2, I probably wouldn't have pushed the turn here. If your opponent has a T, he'll likely fold. If you bet like 250-325, he'll call with a T probably (I'm assuming this buyin is kinda small). So by the river, he'll be obligated to call no matter what hits. You're not in real fear of losing the hand unless you've already lost (but you aren't folding no matter what). There are a few cards that could POTENTIALLY be disastrous (another T, another 6 (but probably won't hurt).