PDA

View Full Version : blew it on the turn?

sin808
11-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Not playing my A game tonight. Villain is LA-A (97%/15%). Will bet/raise any part of the board. Their play is somewhat confusing to me tonight- probably cuz it's a sunday night. As a result of that I'm on my last orbit when this hand comes up.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I really think I should have raised here. I have no real reason to believe he's got a K. He could just as easily have 44 for all I know.

River: (6.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Interesting card- too bad it doesn't help. Play here doesn't really matter, since it went wrong on the turn. If I had raised then it probably would have been checked to me on the river.

LuckyStrike
11-01-2004, 06:53 AM
I would have raised the flop. If he 3-bets, then I'll give him credit for a K and call, planning to check/fold the turn unimproved. I definitely think you missed a bet on this turn.

With that K dropping on the turn, my plan to check/fold to a 3-bet exits stage left in my mind. If he has the fourth K, then tough luck, but you've got to raise this. With no raise preflop, he probably doesn't have a bigger pair than yours and you're most likely way ahead.

I would raise the river for the same reasons I would have raised the turn.

Piiop
11-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Against a normal opponent, your play here is fine. You have a good hand, but with little room for improvement if your opponent actually has a K. If they don't have a K, then you want them to keep bluff-betting at you, instead of raising and having them fold.

However, since you described your opponent as a super LAG, you should've raised on the flop, turn, river, and anywhere else inbetween.

Piiop
11-01-2004, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised the flop. If he 3-bets, then I'll give him credit for a K and call, planning to check/fold the turn unimproved. I definitely think you missed a bet on this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to given your opponent (especially this one) credit for a K after just a flop 3-bet. Your plan to fold the turn unimproved is bad. If you're playing against an opponent who is so tight and predictable that he would *only* 3-bet the flop with a hand that beats you, you should just fold to the 3-bet. You do not have odds to draw to a J (which may lose anyway). However, there are very few opponents who are that easy to read, most of the time you should either call down or raise at some point. Folding would be very, very weak.

LuckyStrike
11-01-2004, 07:29 AM
What would you do in the face of a 3-bet? Would you cap? You're right; if my plan was to check/fold the turn unimproved then I should just fold to the 3-bet.

Piiop
11-01-2004, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you do in the face of a 3-bet? Would you cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Player dependant but usually call down, sometimes cap, sometimes fold.

PokerIsLife
11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
I would raise on the flop and turn, and river. I really don't give LAGs too much credit for anything.

sin808
11-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Villain had 78o and MHIG. I agree with what pretty much everyone has said, raise flop, turn, etc etc. My game was definitely off last night. I was having a real hard time getting a good feel for the table, and playing accordingly. As a result of that I made this my last orbit before I got myself into trouble. Thanks for the replies.

GrunchCan
11-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Raise the flop - you usually have the best hand by far. If you lose the lead (becasue opponent caps the flop), check-call down. If he doesn't cap the flop, keep betting. When that K falls, I give him 0 credit for the quad, and start betting &amp; raising. I start worrying about a quad if he caps the turn, in which case I'll check-call the river.

Never, ever fold. It cannot be correct to fold.