PDA

View Full Version : O8 - Throwing Away Top Set

10-03-2001, 06:35 PM
This hand has a similar message to Rick N's "nut flush draw" post a while back ...

My usual extremely loose 9-handed 3-6 Omaha game. In the BB I pick up the splendid hand of 3688. There are 2 callers (surprisingly few for this game) and I get a free play.

Flop comes 865 with 2 spades. (I don't have 2 spades.) I check, and it is a bet and a call back to me.

Well, yuck. This is just why you don't play 88 voluntarily. If you flop top set, then someone's low is already made and the board is bunched for a straight. Considering the risk that someone already has a straight, I would be drawing, hoping that the board pairs beneath my 8s, for half of this tiny pot.

I mucked it. I thought to myself, God, make sure this hand doesn't flip over on its way to the muck. I don't want these guys to see this.

Correct play?

Dick

10-03-2001, 10:48 PM
you are learning the game Dick.

10-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Take a tip from "dick in phoenix", he new exactly what to do in an almost identical situation. You should have done the same regardless of the result. Read his post, it's a couple below yours. You're battling for half the pot, fold fold fold.

Omaha is a game of scoops and 3/4's, not worrying about whether or not your high will hold up with no shot at low, just ask Ray ;-), and then go buy his book.