PDA

View Full Version : 7 stud laydown bad move??

10-01-2001, 04:36 PM
I was playing 1-5 stud at the mirage and I had a four flush on 6th street Jack high my oponent had a 4 flush king high and had been raising since 4th street he actually reraised me on 4th

after sixth street I laid my hand down figuring I was beat even if I made the flush Everyone told me I should have made the last bet. what do you think???

billy b

10-01-2001, 04:48 PM
Fold (unless the pot is so huge you can't wrap your hands around it)

10-01-2001, 06:21 PM
Pot size is important to the decision.

But even if he has just the four-flush and not a made hand, his draw is better than yours. You're only two outs may be the King and Ace of your suit. Were they live?

Unless the pot is real big, I'd fold as well.

10-01-2001, 07:26 PM
not big enough

and my thoughts were that i only had 2 cards to beat him if he had it. After the hand the dealer flipped over the next card which would have been mine it was the 8C which was my suit would have given me the flush. so they all told me I was crazy to lay it down. I tried to explain to them but they all just shook their heads. But then again I cleaned their clocks for the first hour and a half I was there.

thanks for the response

billy b

10-02-2001, 01:03 AM
You're saying you had 4 clubs showing J high (none in the hole) and the opponent had 4 spades showing K high?

Lets back-track. On 4th street with a 4-flush you will make it half the time with 3 cards to go. Well, your buddy has 3 unknown cards in the hole and so will make or have the flush half the time. You are going to make it 1/5 of the time, but you lose half of those times. Sounds like if the pot had about 10 bets in it you should draw.

The above is when you make NO presumptions about his down cards. If he raised on 3rd the chances he's paired goes up and the chances he HAS the flush go down. If he raised on 4th street after making a 2-flush then the chances he HAS a flush go up.

The above is also presuming you cannot win without the flush AND will win with the flush unless the opponent makes a bigger one. Since you surely have SOMETHING with which to bet and stand raises and get to 6th street, like a pair of Jacks, then I'd say your chances go up since you CAN realistically win without the flush.

- Louie

10-02-2001, 08:50 AM
"...unless the pot is so huge you can't wrap your hands around it"

Now I like that way of figuring pot odds! Superb.

G

10-02-2001, 09:36 AM
By my count, there was about $55 in the pot at this time if you were playing head-up from 3rd. If other players stayed in for a bet, there would be more. I'd consider calling here based on live cards (if your a-k and other clubs are still unseen) and based on my read of the other player. Would he be pushing a big pair hard? Maybe made a second pair? If you felt you definitely had him on a king flush, the fold was right. But if there was a decent chance he would bet like this with a pair of kings (did he have the king on 3rd or catch it on 4th?), then it's definitely worth drawing

given the 11-1 odds and the fact you will only call a river bet if you make your flush.

10-03-2001, 06:37 PM
Dear PLayer,

I agree with you 100%.

Sitting Bull

10-08-2001, 04:14 AM
I'm assuming you originally had something. It would be hard for you to arrive at 6th street in this situation without anything.

However, you didnt mention having 2 pair in your post, which would have dramtically increased your outs (assuming live cards).

10-08-2001, 02:10 PM
all i had was a 4 flush it is possible to get to this position without much of anything. maybe not the smartest play but i got there.

billy