PDA

View Full Version : Limp-re-raise all-in

davidross
10-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Party $100 NL. 1 minute until the first break and I have the same chips I started with. I've flopped two monsters, but couldn't get anyone to pay me off. Now I get QQ 4 off the button. Blinds are 25/50, 1 limper in front of me, and I raise to 200. Folded back to limper who pushes all-in, he has me well covered.

THis move is almost always AA or KK. I've actually never seen it be anything else. SO of course I call to prove my point, and get shown KK.

Is this an easy fold? ANy timne I ignore my gut I get in trouble.

MLG
10-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Ive done it with JJ, 1010, sometimes AK or AQ with aggresive late position raisers.

Copernicus
11-01-2004, 12:03 AM
At lower buy ins I might be tempted to call, since theyll push in with Axs or small pairs. I find Party toughens up at 100, and here it depends on your read. I'd be reluctant to call, figuring Ive got a small edge or am way behind.

Paragon
11-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Don't mean to derail the thread... I don't play at your buyins, but this play has become a plague in the lower levels, namely 10+1 and 20+2 MTTs. I've grown to become extremely skeptical of UTG limp-reraises all in, especially in the first 2 hours, as I've seen things like 55 or AJ shown with regularity.

I think at your level where people are rational, the play clearly means extreme strength. Still, knowing this, and to answer your question literally, it's not easy to fold QQ. My own experiences make me biased though.

ilya
11-01-2004, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't mean to derail the thread... I don't play at your buyins, but this play has become a plague in the lower levels, namely 10+1 and 20+2 MTTs. I've grown to become extremely skeptical of UTG limp-reraises all in, especially in the first 2 hours, as I've seen things like 55 or AJ shown with regularity.

I think at your level where people are rational

[/ QUOTE ]

What is inherently irrational about limp-reraising all-in with 55 or AJ?

davidross
11-01-2004, 12:45 AM
It's a high risk play because most idiots like me won't laydown pretty good hands

zaxx19
11-01-2004, 04:50 AM
THANX FOR THE INSIGHT ON WHY AQ KEEPS CALLING MY KK WHEN I DO THIS. I MAKE THAT MOVE IF IVE BEEN TIGHT AT A LOOSE TABLE AND SOME JIM BOB LIKE YOU KEEPS POSTION RAISING USUALLY(LIKE THE ABOVE POSTER) THEY ARE SO LOOSE THEMSELVES THEY THINK IVE GOT 55-JJ AND OF COURSE SINCE THEY HAVE NO GAME BUT BULLYING SO THEY JUMP AT THE CHANCE OF A 45% WIN RATE TOO BUILD THEM A STACK LOL. LOOK HOW HARD IS THIS IF YOU WOULDNT CALL AN ALL IN WITH THE HAND SEEMS PRETTY SIMPLE DO NOT CALL IF YOU HAVE AA KK THEN CALL I CANT MAKE IT MUCH MORE SIMPLE. IN FACT WHAT IS WITH PEOPLE CALLING ALL INS WITH AK ALL THE TIME EARLY AND MID TOURNEY SOMEONE EXPLAIN THAT TOO ME PLZ YUR LOOKING AT PERHAPS A 40% WIN RATE OVERALL..JUST CANT PASS UP THAT POT I GUESS LOL

magiluke
11-01-2004, 05:28 AM
I wanted to read what you wrote, but it was in all caps... Could you just do me a favor and rewrite that, in a more proper way, so that I can read it better. I'm sure whatever you were writing was intelligent; unfortunately it is unintelligible

Paragon
11-01-2004, 05:38 AM
In response to ilya:

I'll submit my wording was misleading above. I do feel re-raising allin with 55 or AJ is a poor play in most circumstances however... Especially in many familiar situations in the low buyins where other people have raised back strongly themselves to multiple limpers.

I also feel many players at those low buyins play irrationally. For example, many times in these cases they incorrectly believe they have significant fold equity despite the action that occurred after them (sadly sometimes they want a call?) Most of them display (to me) only a vague idea of what's going on, like they are merely imitating a play they witnessed elsewhere.

My point is that in higher buyins where everyone is typically a few levels higher with each other psychologically, I strongly suspect that UTG limp-reraises allin more frequently indicate a premium hand like AA or KK. However, I think your point may have been that there can be cases where such plays with worse holdings have the potential to be very smart or deceptively timed... Which I also agree with. Except this is usually a complicated scenario involving table image, good reads, stack sizes, etc. I cannot give the average low buyin people that much credit.

jackdaniels
11-01-2004, 11:04 AM
I made this play yesterday at the 500 on stars against a very agressive player who showed tendency to push on any flop after raising pre-flop. Diff was - I made a standard raise pre-flop (UTG at the 75-150 lvl) with 3500 in chips. He raised me from the BB and I pushed. Unfortunately, my 77 was no match for his AA.

I learned that this type of aggressive play, while effective against a smaller stack - should not be employed against a larger stack. They may or may not fold their AK (which is what I put him on) and then you have a coin toss at best for all your chips.

Has anyone had more experience in making this play VS. a stack you have covered rather than against a stack that covers you?