PDA

View Full Version : Cool 80s songs

MarkL444
10-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Im trying to make a playlist of a whole bunch of really cool 80s music. Stuff that would be fun to have on when sitting around with friends and drinking or whatever. Any suggestions?

whiskeytown
10-31-2004, 10:41 PM
Jackson Browne - Somebody's Baby

thought that song could be remade and be a top 10 hit for a movie soundtrack all over again. Give Nick Lachey a career boost.

other tunes I've found myself downloading when I missed them.

John Mellencamp - esp. Authority Song
Men without Hats - Safety Dance
Madness - Our House
Plimsouls - a Million Miles Away
Bananarama - Venus
R.E.M. - Stand or The One I love

RB

Sooga
10-31-2004, 10:44 PM
queen/david bowie - under pressure

Duke
10-31-2004, 11:03 PM
I think A-Ha's Take on Me has to be on any 80's playlist.

~D

Boris
10-31-2004, 11:14 PM

sam h
10-31-2004, 11:35 PM
tainted love by soft cell.

crash
10-31-2004, 11:41 PM
when I hiked the Appalachian Trail I had "Tainted Love" stuck in my head for over two months. There were times when I prayed for death.

liquidboss
11-01-2004, 12:14 AM
I had this same idea a few years ago and racked my brain trying to remember names of songs I wanted to download. Then I saw a commercial for Monsters of Rock or something similar and realized there were quite a few songs that I remembered and rushed to write them down so I could search online. Then I realized these people have to have a website.

http://www.musicspace.com/category.asp?catalog_name=musicspace&category_name =80s

Lo and behold they have all their CDs and track listings available. Since I have expanded my search using many compilations on Amazon and other online sites. Enjoy...

Men the Master
11-01-2004, 12:16 AM
General Public's "Tenderness"
English Beat's "Save it for Later"
Fine Youn Cannibal's "She Drives Me Crazy"

Porcupine
11-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Try 80s music lyrics (http://www.80smusiclyrics.com) for more ideas

A couple I could think of real quick:

My Sharona, The Knack
Mr. Brownstone, Guns n' Roses
Welcome to the Jungle, Guns n' Roses
You Spin Me (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive
Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard
Video Killed the Radio Star The Buggles

Senor Choppy
11-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
Vapors - Turning Japanese
Blondie - The Tide is High
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
Trio - Da Da Da
Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

mmbt0ne
11-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
I don't know if it was 80's or early 90's, but I like the song a lot. Bonus points if you know what brand used it in a commercial.
Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Any Duran Duran
Any Sting/Police
Journey - Just Died in Your Arms Tonight
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Michael Jackson's Thriller
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
Big Country - In a Big Country
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
Some Bruce Springsteen never hurt either

cnfuzzd
11-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Ok, you asked for it....

any cure
any violent femmes
any INXS
any XTC

SuperFreak-rick James
Sister Christian-nightranger
Take Me home Tonight
I'll stop the world(and melt with you) <something like that>
Here i go again
Time after Time
any Air supply
Iesha-another bad creation
any Bowie(even though most was pop trash, its still fun)
Knockin boots-candy man (possibly early 90's)
Drive-Cars
I want you to want me (cheap trick)
any Guns and roses
any bon jovi
Humpty Dance-digital underground
I want to kiss you all over-exile (possible late 70s)
any foreigner
any Journey
every song from the revenge of the nerds soundtrack
Bette Davis Eyes-kim carnes
A land down under-men at work
any michael jackson
Just to be the next to be with you-Mr big
Bizarre Love triangle-new order
Just a friend-Biz markie
any pet shop boys
any peter gabriel
Major Tom-Peter Schilling
any prince
What i like about You
any talking heads
any tears for fears
Should i stay or should i go
any The Human League
Dont worry, be happy
any ZZ top

additionally, not on my play list

Sspin me right roun
99 luft ballons
billy idol
Relax
Jessie's Girl

off the top, more will come later

peace

john nickle

ArchAngel71857
11-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Anything in the movie Iron Eagle .

-AA

ArchAngel71857
11-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Anything in the movie Iron Eagle II .

-AA

astroglide
11-01-2004, 02:14 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006SM6Q?v=glance

just buy that

Losing all
11-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Angel of death, hell awaits, at dawn they sleep, master of puppets, santarium, fade to black, for whom the bell tolls, seek and destroy, twist of cain, toxic waltz, bored, the trooper, number of the beast, hollowed be thy name, peace sells but whos buying, liar, hook in mouth, motorbreath, ace of spades, suicide solution, and anything by the femmes.

MarkL444
11-01-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006SM6Q?v=glance

just buy that

[/ QUOTE ]

buy? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

dr. klopek
11-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Soundtrack to "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

astroglide
11-01-2004, 02:21 AM
yes it's $40 don't be a scumbag

Rick Nebiolo
11-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Just about anything by The Replacements

~ Rick

Evan
11-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Mark, much like myself, is a college student. The idea of buying music is one that we're not familiar with.

Boopotts
11-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Some ideas:

"Beds are Burning": Midnight Oil
"The Stand": The Alarm
"Lucretia My Reflection" or "Mother Russia": The Sisters of Mercy
"Come on Eileen" Dexter's Midnight Runners
"The Dark Side" John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
"Right Here Right Now" Jesus Jones (song about the fall of the Berlin Wall)
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" Simple Minds.
"

Boopotts
11-01-2004, 03:07 AM
"Twist of Cain?" C,mon, man- just listen to "In My Time of Dying" by Led Zepplin.

From the Karma Department: Danzig steals a Zepplin riff note for note, and then has their riff from "Snakes of Christ" (off of Lucifuge) stolen note for note by the Stone Temple Pilots in "Sex Type Thing".

If you're going to do the Danzig thing you have to mix in "Devil's Plaything".

And lay off the Megadeth.

MarkL444
11-01-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The idea of buying music is one that we're not familiar with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy some cds, but only if its a smaller band on a smaller record label. I would never consider buying this though.

Plus I own the game, I do not feel I need to donate to them anymore.

Losing all
11-01-2004, 03:12 AM
I've never stolen music, what's it feel like?

Popinjay
11-01-2004, 03:28 AM
Gazebo - I Like Chopin

pokerkai
11-01-2004, 03:36 AM
ERASURE - LITTLE RESPECT!!!!

Losing all
11-01-2004, 04:34 AM
I did the danzig thing a long time ago, though I still listen to dirty black summer quite a bit.

Megadeth sucks now, and I wouldn't mind smashing dave's face with an ax. as far as 80's metal goes, though, they had several good songs, and 2 very good albums. maybe even 3 if you count killing is my business.

astroglide
11-01-2004, 04:52 AM
dude, it's 7 cds for $40. that's not a donation. plus owning the game should give you plenty of ideas before you made the post.

MarkL444
11-01-2004, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, it's 7 cds for $40. that's not a donation. plus owning the game should give you plenty of ideas before you made the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

it did give me plenty of ideas. and ive searched a lot too. i made a list of ~80-100 songs a few months ago, but i am constatly hearing songs that arent on there that should be.

thats why i made this post.

i apologize for not buying a video game soundtrack.

wayabvpar
11-01-2004, 03:53 PM
One of my favs has always been Life in a Northern Town by the Dream Academy. I wish iTunes would get on the ball and make it available.

Slacker13
11-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Breakfast Club - Dont you forget about me
Men at Work - land down under & who can it be now
Modern English - Ill stop the world
Madness - Our House
Mr MIster - broken wings
Men without hats - safety dance
Tears for Fears - Shout
Phil Collins - In the air tonight
Loverboy - Turn me Loose
The Clash - Rock the casbah
Hooters - All you zombies & and we danced
Gary Newman - Cars
Fixx - red skies
Fine young cannibals - good thing
Duran Duran - hungry like a wolf
Devo - whip it

Anything, Rush, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Dio,

There are hundreds more I cant even think of.

The 80's were all over the place as far as music goes.

Slacker13
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Thats what I did. I searched all the old billboard charts year by year and compiled a great list of 80's tunes.

astroglide
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
"don't you want me" (or whatever the actual title is) is probably my favorite 80s pop song. american psycho made sussidio very close though.

Duke
11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Oops - everyone forgot Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

~D

turnipmonster
11-01-2004, 05:52 PM
don't you think musicians should get paid for what they do?

--turnipmonster

spamuell
11-01-2004, 06:13 PM
ERASURE - LITTLE RESPECT!!!!

I was going to say this.

Instead, I will say:

Basically anything by The Smiths or The Cure, but you know that already.

So, um, Depeche Mode, Strangelove.

If anyone cares, I haven't paid for any of the music on my computer, which includes a lot. I don't even remotely care, I understand it's theft but this doesn't bother me. When I personalise it and think of people stealing from me, that makes me feel a little bad. Not bad enough to buy the music that I already have, although I generally do pay for new CDs now that I can.

astroglide
11-01-2004, 06:30 PM
i think strangelove is an underrated DM track

Cornbread Maxwell
11-01-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
I don't know if it was 80's or early 90's, but I like the song a lot. Bonus points if you know what brand used it in a commercial.
Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Any Duran Duran
Any Sting/Police
Journey - Just Died in Your Arms Tonight
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Michael Jackson's Thriller
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
Big Country - In a Big Country
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
Some Bruce Springsteen never hurt either

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good list.

Just off the top of my head, I'd also throw in:

'Head Over Heels' - Tears for Fears
'Shout' - Tears for Fears
'Smooth Criminal' - Michael Jackson
'Synchronicity 2' - The Police
'Unchained' - Van Halen
'And She Was' - Talking Heads
'Magic' - The Cars

astroglide
11-01-2004, 06:54 PM
synchronicity 2 is amazing, good call. i think hot for teacher is a better anthem than unchained though.

Aces McGee
11-01-2004, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to do the Danzig thing you have to mix in "Devil's Plaything".

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. That whole album kicks ass, but Devil's Plaything is clearly the best Danzig track ever.

-McGee

MarkL444
11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't you think musicians should get paid for what they do?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen cribs?

Evan
11-01-2004, 07:49 PM
it's tingly

Evan
11-01-2004, 07:52 PM
yea, wow, that's a genius point that I've never before considered. seriously, yea they should...but there's a way for me to get music that i enjoy without paying for it so i take advantage of it. a lot of things in life aren't fair and it's not my job to make them fair.

Jett Rink
11-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Doug and the Slugs is the most underrated band of the 80's. That'll give you 7 or 8 songs that have held up well.

turnipmonster
11-02-2004, 12:29 AM
just thought I'd bring it up. I am a musician, so I really believe that musicians should get paid for what they do. stealing music hurts musicians as much or more than it hurts record companies.

you could apply your logic to rationalize stealing almost anything. I guess it really just comes down to a decision you have to make for yourself about what you will or won't do at the end of day. I do find that most people that steal music don't really think about how directly it affects musicians. morally I don't have a problem with it as long as people recognize it for what it is.

--turnipmonster

Evan
11-02-2004, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really believe that musicians should get paid for what they do

[/ QUOTE ]
So do I, but I'm a college student in NYC so saving money is important to me. I'm not saying that what I do is right, but whether its right or not isn't what drives my decision to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
stealing music hurts musicians as much or more than it hurts record companies

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this is true. Music prices are too high for me to buy every CD I want, I have another option so I take it.

[ QUOTE ]
you could apply your logic to rationalize stealing almost anything

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess, but most other things are not nearly as easy to steal.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it really just comes down to a decision you have to make for yourself about what you will or won't do at the end of day

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree. Downloading music illegally does not make me feel like a bad person at the end of the day. Maybe it should, I'm not sure, but it doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]
I do find that most people that steal music don't really think about how directly it affects musicians

[/ QUOTE ]
I've thought about it but its not my primary thought. Its not the reason I do it and it won't be the reason I stop. I don't mean to offend you as a musician but its really not my problem to solve. The frailty of intellectual property laws is an inherent risk of being a musician.

Certain things in the world aren't fair, this is one of them.

vulturesrow
11-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Not that anyone cares, but I have to go with turnipmonster on this one. When I was in college, I just joined a couple of those CD clubs and was able to expand my collection pretty easily without much strain on the old pocketbook. Just as an aside, I would imagine that downloading hurts those bands that your average college student is likely to download, that is stuff outside the mainstream.

astroglide
11-02-2004, 12:57 AM
you can pay like 10 or 15/month with napster or rhapsody to get unlimited streaming too

Evan
11-02-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that downloading hurts those bands that your average college student is likely to download, that is stuff outside the mainstream

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, I listen to a lot of mainstream stuff.

I see what you're saying, but its one of those things that i don't directly feel the effects of so I have become very apathetic.

Basically I'm presented with 2 identical products--one of them is free and available 24 hrs/day from my apartment, the other is more expensive and less convenient.

Men the Master
11-02-2004, 01:54 AM
"Perfect Way" and "Would Beez" by Scritti Politi

"Blame it on the rain" and "Baby, don't forget my number" by Milli Vanilli.

"99 Red Balloons" by Nena.

"Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco.

"If you leave" by Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

"Everybody wants to rule the world" and "Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears.

"Red red wind" by UB40.

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a musician, so I really believe that musicians should get paid for what they do. stealing music hurts musicians as much or more than it hurts record companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people I know buy CDs from smaller artists, but download from the larger ones. Im sure theres a grey area in between, but I think most musicians fit into one category or the other.

This may help clear up my view on this...
I will gladly buy a cd from a small band trying to make it, but I think it is borderline stupid to buy a dave matthews, jay z, etc cd.

Much of the entertainment industry is nothing more than the exploitation of the public. The diversity of wealth in this world is a problem.

As far as this 80s mix goes, these artists should be thrilled that people are still listening to their work 20 years later. I have no remorse for downloading these songs.

turnipmonster
11-02-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So do I, but I'm a college student in NYC so saving money is important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is fine, but not a legal excuse for stealing. no one cares about your financial situation (going to college in nyc makes me personally care far less, actually). much the same as the point you brought up about musicians getting paid, it's simply not anyone else's problem. I agree that lots of things in life aren't fair. that doesn't make it legal to simply take anything you can get your hands on.

I don't ever steal music, just because I think I'm a lot better than that, and I don't need to. however, I recognize that a lot of people just have to take whatever they can get however they can. not much different than shooting an angle at the table. it's cool with me. que sera sera.

good luck at the tables, and no hard feelings.

--turnipmonster

sfer
11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Being a poor college student is a rationale for learning to live without, not for stealing.

turnipmonster
11-02-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As far as this 80s mix goes, these artists should be thrilled that people are still listening to their work 20 years later. I have no remorse for downloading these songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

please. do you steal books that are that old just because the author should be happy someone is reading it?

steal if you want, but that's incredibly weak reasoning. the composers of those songs and their estates deserve to be paid mechanical royalties just like anyone else would be.

--turnipmonster

MarkL444
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please. do you steal books that are that old just because the author should be happy someone is reading it?

steal if you want, but that's incredibly weak reasoning. the composers of those songs and their estates deserve to be paid mechanical royalties just like anyone else would be.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

turnip-

i just want to point out that i understand and respect your standpoint on this, but im curious if you even see where im coming from. i guess i just think you should only make so much money off making a cd.

turnipmonster
11-02-2004, 01:04 PM
yeah I see where you're coming from, but that's not how our royalty system is set up, for better or worse. you can't make money off royalties forever (example is stuff enters into public domain after 80 years or something).

--turnipmonster

dr. klopek
11-02-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just thought I'd bring it up. I am a musician, so I really believe that musicians should get paid for what they do. stealing music hurts musicians as much or more than it hurts record companies.

you could apply your logic to rationalize stealing almost anything. I guess it really just comes down to a decision you have to make for yourself about what you will or won't do at the end of day. I do find that most people that steal music don't really think about how directly it affects musicians. morally I don't have a problem with it as long as people recognize it for what it is.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you would rather only have fans that have $17 to waste on a cd than someone who likes you're music and wants to listen to it regardless of how much $ they have? I do my share of pirating, but when I have the $, I'll buy a cd, I realize the work that goes into making music and musicians deserve to support themselves, but do you consider it stealing when I buy an album used? The artist doesn't get that money, yet I still have the music. They make more of their $ on concerts and merchandise anyway, record companies screw artists on the daily.

Evan
11-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I completely agree that something is not right simply because its possible. I aslo understand your feeling about the subject and I mostly agree.

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize that a lot of people just have to take whatever they can get however they can

[/ QUOTE ]
That seems like too much extrapolation in my mind. I'm ceratinly too biased to judge myself in this situation so there's no point in trying to tell you you're wrong, hell maybe you're right but I don't see how you can come to this conclusion simply from what I've said in this thread.

If you honestly feel like downloading music illegaly says something significant about a person than that's something that I can't argue with I suppose. Personally I don't think that downloading music is equal to taking whatever I can however I can...but I guess that's what someone who took whatever they could however they could would say. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daliman
11-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Iesha and humpty are both 90's, btw

Daliman
11-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Trust me on this one...

"Sweetheart", by Frankie and the Knockouts

Topflight
11-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Is there anywhere you can buy a hard drive full of mp3s. Say all 80's music. Or broken up into 80's 90's specific genre etc. I think I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for 80 gigs of catagorized searchable mp3s.

The time it would take me to do this would be worth the money. I remember seeing kids in college with hds full of music. Some of them had it catagorized, maybe even with artwork, although that isn't that important.

Are any record labels doing anything like this?

astroglide
11-03-2004, 12:47 PM
[censored] we all forgot morris day didn't we

vulturesrow
11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anywhere you can buy a hard drive full of mp3s. Say all 80's music. Or broken up into 80's 90's specific genre etc. I think I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for 80 gigs of catagorized searchable mp3s.

The time it would take me to do this would be worth the money. I remember seeing kids in college with hds full of music. Some of them had it catagorized, maybe even with artwork, although that isn't that important.

Are any record labels doing anything like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a service out there that will take your CD collection and do this legwork for you. I cant remember the name offhahd, I think I saw it in this month's GQ mag.

Topflight
11-03-2004, 01:23 PM
What if I have no cd collection?

turnipmonster
11-03-2004, 01:32 PM
but do you consider it stealing when I buy an album used?

nope.

record companies screw artists on the daily.

the fact that you view most contracts between artists and record companies (which artists generally jump at the chance to sign by the way) has nothing to do with whether or not it's ok to steal music. if artists are getting screwed by a record company, it's because they made that choice. trust me, it is a choice.

don't get me wrong, I think most major labels suck and are extremely shady. but, just because I think that doesn't make it somehow ok to steal from them, at least in my book.
--turnipmonster

WDC
11-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Early U2
Hooters
Martin Brine- You Ain't worth the Salt in My Tears
Motels- Only the Lonely
Fixx- Saved By Zero