PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: Sideways

andyfox
10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
Great movie, don't miss it. Two guys, one a loser who fancies himself a writer, the other his wanna-be hot-shot friend, go on a trip to Santa Barbara wine country for some wine, women, and song the week before the hot-shot's wedding. Lots of fun, lots of insight, great acting, especially by two women who come into their lives, and a perfect ending. And if you're into wine, you'll be in heaven. No aliens, no high-tech crap, no grisly murders, just people trying to live their lives.

I think it's in limited release (only in two theaters in the L.A. area), but search it out, it's really a good one.

WillMagic
10-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Man, I need to move to L.A. Not only is the poker great, but all the movies come out early.

I can't wait to see Sideways. It's gotten a lot of early Oscar buzz - and for a movie with no real stars, that's a very good indicator.

Will

Dominic
11-01-2004, 01:52 PM
loved it....I'm a 40ish screenwriter living in LA, so it hit a little too close to home!

But it was great seeing Virgina Madsen again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
11-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Saw it last night. By far the best movie I'll see this year. There's the old Howard Hawks theorem that a great movie is three great scenes and no bad ones. Sideways had easily half a dozen great scenes and maybe two dozen memorable lines. Without a trace of cynicism. Remarkably touching.

We had a 95 Opus One and ate artichokes and salmon, but we didn't care.

Ulysses
01-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Saw it today. Thought it was quite good and entertaining, but did not think it was as super-great as all the glowing reviews had led me to believe.

andyfox
01-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Yeah, my "really good" and your "quite good" seem on par. I don't think there were any really great movies in 2004; I imagine The Aviator, which is also quite good and entertaining, but not great, will be the Oscar favorite.

FWIW, the Director's Guild nominated the directors of Sideways, Finding Neverland, The Aviator, Ray, and Million Dollar Baby for their Best Director Award. I imagine those five movies are the best bets for Oscar nominations. All I saw (all except Finding Neverland) were quite good, but none were great.

I'm picking Clint Eastwood to win the Best Actor award at the Oscars. Can't believe I'd ever say that.

TimTimSalabim
01-10-2005, 02:39 AM
I agree with Ebert (or was it Roeper?) that Eternal Sunshine really deserves a Best Picture nomination.

ilya
01-10-2005, 03:08 AM
I really liked it too.

There's some interesting back-and-forth about it between several film critics in Slate's movie club series.

Justin A
01-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Very enjoyable movie. It makes me want to drink wine more often.

Justin A

Rick Nebiolo
01-10-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very enjoyable movie. It makes me want to drink wine more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suggest you try a nice merlot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick