PDA

View Full Version : chicago style vs. new york style

Victor
10-31-2004, 08:46 PM
whos got the better pizza?

Dominic
11-01-2004, 01:54 PM
New York. And it's not even close.

A slice of pizza must be thin enough for you to be able to fold it...it's cheese and other toppings must NOT be able to slide of the dough when you try and bite into it.

Oh yeah, and when you do take a bite, that orange grease must run down your arm.

THAT'S a slice of pizza.

astroglide
11-01-2004, 02:06 PM
where's st louis style? cracker crust and usually provel cheese.

Nate tha' Great
11-01-2004, 02:08 PM
I've lived in Chicago for the past eight years.

New York has better pizza.

turnipmonster
11-01-2004, 02:11 PM
really? I've never heard of it, but it sounds really good. I like prov cheese quite a bit. traditional toppings, or no?

--turnipmonster

Nate tha' Great
11-01-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where's st louis style?

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably put crab rangoon on it and [censored].

astroglide
11-01-2004, 02:15 PM
note that's PROVEL cheese (http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Provel-cheese.html), not provolone. toppings are traditional. dipping it in ranch is common.

sfer
11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Brooklyn specifically. Grimaldi's.

turnipmonster
11-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I eat there lots, since it's right by my place. I have to say that the white pizza is not as good as the reg. pizza, because of the lack of ricotta. have to try it with ricotta as an extra. the regular pizza is the nuts, though. I always recommend people eat it with no toppings for the first time.

--turnipmonster

turnipmonster
11-01-2004, 02:41 PM
interesting. never heard of it before, but sounds good.

--turnipmonster

namknils
11-01-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've lived in Chicago for the past eight years.

New York has better pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

You disappoint me Nate.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
this is situational.

For a meal, chicago style, because I like thick meaty toppings.

for a snack, or for late night beer/pizza combo, NY because the fold is a neccesity.

Sponger15SB
11-01-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is situational.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. however overall i'd choose NY over chicago.

but then again san diego sucks for pizza.... unless you consider roundtable pizza good.... so what do I know.

sfer
11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Chicago style pizza is actually better in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'll let current Berkeley residents elaborate.

B00T
11-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Ever been to any of their nephew's shops in Jersey? Brooklyn's Pizzeria, in Hackensack, Edgewater, or Ridgewood?

I worked for them for 5 years as a manager. Their pizza is the nuts.

nolanfan34
11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is situational.

For a meal, chicago style, because I like thick meaty toppings.

for a snack, or for late night beer/pizza combo, NY because the fold is a neccesity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're not getting either of these in Bellevue. Fess up, you're eating Pizza Hut.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
haha, dude, there are a few places in Bellevue that serve a sort of bastardized version of Chicago style pizza. Every now and then I venture over the water and go out drinking in Seattle. There are several real small places over there that serve a NY style pizza.

wayabvpar
11-01-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, dude, there are a few places in Bellevue that serve a sort of bastardized version of Chicago style pizza. Every now and then I venture over the water and go out drinking in Seattle. There are several real small places over there that serve a NY style pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more of a Chicago-style fan- where can I get it in Bellevue? I would say the Northlake Tavern qualifies, but it is too far to go except on weekends.

As for NY style- Piecora's in Kirkland (Bridle Trails) and Pagliacci would qualify I think. If you are a mushroom fan, the Pagliacci seasonal Mushroom Primo ROCKS. God it is good.

offTopic
11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chicago style pizza is actually better in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'll let current Berkeley residents elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

My GF and I went to Zachary's for lunch prior to the Cal-UCLA football game, then to Fenton's afterwards. We'll probably be dead soon, but it was worth it.

sfer
11-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Don't even get me started about Fenton's! Three months before I moved to New York they closed because of that bizarre fire. I haven't been in 2.5 years. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

La Brujita
11-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Grimaldi's is great, Nick's in Queens is excellent as well. Nick's in Manhattan not as good.

Bukem_
11-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Nothing annoys me more than tourists who go to NY and buy chicago pizza.

turnipmonster
11-01-2004, 04:22 PM
the weird thing is grimaldi's is completely different from what most people think of as ny pizza. I certainly had never had anything like it before I moved to nyc. even in nyc, that style of pizza is pretty unique.

--turnipmonster

Nick_Foxx
11-01-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing annoys me more than tourists who go to NY and buy chicago pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing puts me to sleep more than boring drum & bass with dolphin noises

sfer
11-01-2004, 04:23 PM
That is much less annoying that tourists on the sidewalk walking 3 abreast at a snail's pace.

bdk3clash
11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm originally from the Chicago area and now live in New York and am pretty much a pizza-agnostic. The styles are so different that it's too hard to compare them directly.

Chicago-style hot dogs, however, are much better than New York dogs. I mean, people put ketchup on hot dogs here. Blecch.

Evan
11-01-2004, 04:38 PM
mmmmmmm....i agree. This guy named Shaun told me about the place called Papa John's though.

Evan
11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Yea, it is situational....if you're in a situation where you want good pizza then NY is the way to go.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
well, like I said, its sort of a bad version, but Jet City Pizza makes some good stuff.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
oops, I also forgot Tony Maroni's. If you haven't tried that, give it a whirl, its sort of pricey though.

Victor
11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I posted this because in out of about 10 people in a room only myself and 1 other person liked chicago style better. I had never really thought about it as I had always just assumed that chicago was universally accepted as the best. So, I thought that the preference could be due to the a couple ppl growing up in NY and the general NY superiority bias.

So, that is why I posted and I must say I am surprised.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 05:02 PM
to be honest with you, I would never go somewhere just because a place has NY style pizza or because one place has Chi-town style. If I want pizza, I go to a pizza place and order whatever they have. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

banditbdl
11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I have to agree here. I think Chicago is better when I'm looking for a serious pizza meal, but NY-style is just so much more versatile while only being a little less stellar that I would have to give NY-style the nod.

Bottom line is that if somebody comes up to me and says you can only have one or the other the rest of your life its gotta be NY-style.

Evan
11-01-2004, 07:54 PM
I thought we were talking about pizza from one of these 2 cities. I live in NY and the pizza is awesome. If I am in California or Maryland or pretty much 95% of this country aI just acceptt hat the pizza sucks even if it claims to be "NY style".

ilya
11-01-2004, 07:59 PM
New Haven actually has the best pizza.

MarkL444
11-01-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought we were talking about pizza from one of these 2 cities. I live in NY and the pizza is awesome. If I am in California or Maryland or pretty much 95% of this country aI just acceptt hat the pizza sucks even if it claims to be "NY style".

[/ QUOTE ]

dont listen to a word this kid says. ask him any question along the lines of "which is better? NY (fill in the blank) or (some other place) (fill in the blank)" and see what he says.

Blarg
11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I can eat ketchup on hotdogs, but I'm no big fan of it. Mustard is the thing for hot dogs.

Worse is mayonnaise or 1000-island dressing. I was shocked to hear someone tell me he didn't put mustard on hotdogs, but liked 1000-island dressing. That's just depraved.

bugstud
11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
so how many of these non-chicago answer people have had a Gino's East sausage pizza

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 08:15 PM
the title was NY style or Chicago style, not pizza in NY vs pizza in Chicago.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 08:16 PM
huh? No Ketchup on a hot dog? I like to put ketchup, some hot mustard and some onions. Some people in seattle like to put sauerkraut on their hot dogs as well.

Evan
11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
The NY style pizza that is found outside of NY bears no resemlance to its namesake.

Evan
11-01-2004, 08:26 PM
hahaha. how often am i wrong though?

just for the record, i actually did say that i thought NY was a little lame for halloween this year and that baltimore was better. if you would like proof ask johnny boom boom.

Ulysses
11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gino's East sausage pizza

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

offTopic
11-01-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't even get me started about Fenton's! Three months before I moved to New York they closed because of that bizarre fire. I haven't been in 2.5 years. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You have my sympathies for that, although you now have readier access to Junior's Cheesecake. I've lived in CA all my life, and had only been to NY on vacation, but that cheesecake made a lasting impression on me.

ThaSaltCracka
11-01-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The NY style pizza that is found outside of NY bears no resemlance to its namesake.

[/ QUOTE ]
well lets see, they are all flat, thin, and foldable. I would say they all resemble the same thing.

Men the Master
11-01-2004, 09:45 PM
...California Pizza! As in Spago's and California Pizza Kitchen.

bugstud
11-01-2004, 10:28 PM
you've been voted off the island

good day