PDA

View Full Version : Shaver followup

Ulysses
10-31-2004, 05:38 PM
So, my normal shaver is a Braun electric. It's great. But every once in a while I like to shave w/ a blade. I've had a Gillette Sensor for that purpose. After reading the recent shaving thread, I decided to upgrade. So I go to Safeway today and notice that they have the Mach3 Turbo for $7.99. But then I notice the M3 Power (http://www.gillettem3power.com/) shaver right next to it for $13.99. It features a battery in the handle !? Huh? Some sort of "micro-pulse" that Gillette claims will shave so much better than the Mach3 Turbo that even the Mach3 Turbo package says to buy the M3Power. Hmmmm.... I'm skeptical and it has these green accents that look kind of silly. But how can I buy the Mach3 Turbo when it clearly provides an inferior shave? So I went with the M3Power. OK. I'm gonna go shave now. Will report back soon.

http://www.gillettem3power.com/images/comparison/m3power_compare.jpg

Alobar
10-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I didnt buy it because I think its just gimmicky, and an attempt at being the only shaver with this feature (they had to find some new gimmick cuz they cant just keep adding blades, heh the "mach8 octagon!")

I didnt read the other shaving thread and im sure this will get me ripped on, but I've found that the "Venus" razor gives a better shave on your face than the mach3

Ulysses
10-31-2004, 06:19 PM
So, I came really, really, really close to not buying this for exactly the reason Alobar outlined in his response. It really felt like this might be a marketing gimmick that really did nothing except add $6 to the price.

But in the end, I figured I might as well give it a shot since they so boldly claim to be the world's best shave.

Well, I gotta say, I'm impressed. The "micro-pulse" is basically a constant light vibration. Here's the crazy thing, though. I started shaving and I couldn't really feel anything. It really didn't feel like I was shaving. But sure enough, it produced a nice shave. I turned off the micro-pulse for a bit and it felt like a much more normal shaver. Anyway, one stroke produced a nice shave, but not quite up to par w/ my Braun electric. I went for a second stroke against the grain and that resulted in a really great shave.

snakehead
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
I bought a similar shaver from the sharper image a few years ago. it holds the mach 3 blades. I wouldn't shave without it. and I hate it when the battery runs out.

Ed Miller
10-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Does it take the regular Mach3 Turbo blades, or do you have to use the crazy green ones?

Sponger15SB
10-31-2004, 07:17 PM
I lost my normal mach3 turbo razor a while ago and figured I might as well spring the M3 Power razor. I don't really think it cuts closer, but the micropulses definantly give you a smoother shave.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went for a second stroke against the grain

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I cannot shave against the grain. I get the worst bumps.

Also for reference I should shave 4x a week.

MMMMMM
10-31-2004, 07:56 PM
I was wondering about this about 6 months ago since Gillette has consistently produced the best blades/razors, really good and innovative over the years, but I suspected that this was probably not a huge difference so I passed at the time.

Did it really seem to give a closer more comfortable shave, or was it just that the shave seemed more effortless?

By the way, I like to shave in the shower with hot water splashing over the back of my neck and the air all nice and hot and steamy. I have discovered that this shower technique combined with a three-directional-pass using feel alone gives the closest shave with the least nicking and scraping (along with, of course, Mach 3 and that purple can Edge gel). But now I guess I'll have to try this green thing out. I sure hope it is waterproof for the battery.

citanul
10-31-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bought a similar shaver from the sharper image a few years ago. it holds the mach 3 blades. I wouldn't shave without it. and I hate it when the battery runs out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got one of these from Sharper Image as well, and while I was pleased with it for the first month or so, something broke pretty quickly after purchase. The head of the razor became ever so slightly wobbly, which well, when it's vibrating really fast is just a ticket to disaster, so I never used the thing again.

Interestingly, the SI version of this product advertised itself at the tiem as vibrating in order to have the blades move back and forth, etc, while it seems the Gilette version has some strange "making your hairs stand up on end" effect.

The SI version really gave me the impression I'd just be safer/better off using a normal electric than that product, but being lazy and anti-electics in general, I just stuck with the M3.

Seeing as how my razor is black and silver and everyone else has a red, with green stripes, 4 blades, etc, razor, I guess it's about time to get a new razor...

citanul

CCass
10-31-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...By the way, I like to shave in the shower with hot water splashing over the back of my neck and the air all nice and hot and steamy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know that I am not the only male that shaves in the shower. No mirror, just feel.

daryn
10-31-2004, 10:15 PM
purple can edge gel is the nuts

ThaSaltCracka
10-31-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does it take the regular Mach3 Turbo blades, or do you have to use the crazy green ones?

[/ QUOTE ]
it takes the regular ones as well.

razor
10-31-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
purple can Edge gel

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried good quality shaving cream? I've found it makes a hugh difference. It's worth giving a try if you haven't already.

Cubswin
11-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Ive heard that this place has good shaving products. www.beavershaver.com (http://www.beavershaver.com) ... if you want a trip report i will surely provide one.

cubs

Luv2DriveTT
11-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Kiehls "Close Shavers" (blue formula) is where it's at. Its the royal flsuh of creams. Stick that on your M3 power blade and shave it!

PS: I switched to the M3 2 months ago, and have not looked back

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

mmbt0ne
11-01-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
purple can Edge gel

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried good quality shaving cream? I've found it makes a hugh difference. It's worth giving a try if you haven't already.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about dropping $30 or so and getting a hot-lather machine? Ahhhh, my face feels better just thinking about that.