PDA

View Full Version : Lowball structure

09-18-2001, 11:08 PM
Hello,

What do you think of this structure for a lowball game? Is it common? Any strategy adjustments?

The game is played 10-20, one $10 blind left of the button. However, there is a "forced kill", meaning that every player must kill the pot at least once a round. You can kill after looking at 2 cards. If you don't kill in a round, you get a "forced kill" button and you must kill the next hand blind.

The first kill must be $20 and the game is played $20-40. However, there can be an "overkill" to a minimum of $40 (in that case the game is played $40-80), however you can kill up to whatever amount X you want and that hand is played $X-2X.

Here are two hands I played. I am in the blind and post $10. Game is played at $20-40. I pick up an 8 8 8 5 2. 2 limpers for $20 each. All check and I toss in two $5 chips. I draw 2. First limper draws 1, second limpers draws 1. I get a 7 and a 9. Final hand 9 8 7 5 2. I check. 1st limper bets $40. Second limper calls. I fold. First limper shows a Queen, second limper shows a 10 and wins the pot. Was this an easy fold?

Hand 2

The player to my right owed a kill. He posted $20. I owed a kill as well and picked up and A and a 5 in my first 2 hands and I overkilled to $40. Player UTG called $40. Poster folded and I checked. I picked up an A 4 5 7 9 and checked my option. UTG drew 1 so did I. I picked up a Q. Final hand A 4 5 7 Q. UTG bet $80 and I folded. A standard play I thought.

Any comments appreciated.

Carlos