PDA

View Full Version : Stud -- Faking an aborted steal on 5th?

09-11-2001, 04:18 PM
Here's a 6/12 hand where I'd like comments on 5th street play (any others are welcome of course).

3rd:

3s brings it in. 7d, 8h fold. I call with (TcQs)Js. 4s, 4h fold. Jc calls.

4th: bring-in catches 2c, I catch 10s, Jc catches a 6h. I bet and bring-in calls.

5th: bring-in catches Th and I catch Ks. I've got a pair and four to a straight flush, a scary board, and then there's the bring-in... (nb: 2 spades out, A's, K's, Q's, and 9's live).

Now if I bet, this particular player will call with as little as a pair -- but if I check, he may very well (despite my board) decide I'm stealing and bet with no hand. Of course, he may also check w/ nothing smelling a rat (or bet w/ rolled up 3's!)... But the rat he's mostly to smell is me giving up on betting my own scary board on the expensive street.

What do you do?

I bet and he folded.

09-11-2001, 05:15 PM
Getting cute would make more sense if your board wasn't so strong. Certainly any real player will know you will automatically bet with such a board, and is sure to smell a rat and deduce you have a monster, which you have.

Don't worry; bet and take it.

- Louie

09-11-2001, 05:19 PM
Thanks Louie. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I was happy to take it down at the time, but started to think getting cute for one more bet (or even a couple more) was worth the risk.

09-15-2001, 04:42 PM
DEAR PLAYER,

I WOULD HAVE RAISED ON 3RD ST. IF I HAD YOUR OVER CARDS.

SITTING BULL