PDA

View Full Version : MLB Unbreakable Records

Jim Kuhn
10-30-2004, 11:30 PM
I think one unbreakable baseball record certainly is Jack Chesbro's 41 wins in a season. Considering a starter only starts about 35 games this record should be safe!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Neil Stevens
10-30-2004, 11:49 PM
A lucky reliever could do it.

I think the Dodgers had about 50 comeback wins this year. Had they happened to use a durable reliever (like Quantrill was before he went to NY) in every one of those, in just the right inning, he could get that many wins.

Highly unlikely? Yes! Impossible? No.

oljumpstart
10-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I think the most secure record has got to be consecutive no hitters. The current record is two, set by Johnny Vander Meer of the Reds in the 1938 season. His two consecutive no hitters were part of a nine game consecutive win streak, where he also set a record for throwing 21 and 2/3 hitless innings. to break this record a pitcher needs to pitch three back to back no hitters, not likely.

slickpoppa
10-31-2004, 01:10 AM
I think a better question would be post WW II records or something like that. There are so many ridiculous records from the early days that will never be broken. For example: lifetime batting average: Ty Cobb-.368; season batting average: Hugh Duffy-.440.
I think the most unbreakable "modern" record is Joe D's 56 game hit streak.

daryn
10-31-2004, 01:19 AM
i thought williams had the high season avg. with .406

daryn
10-31-2004, 01:21 AM
guess not

ArchAngel71857
10-31-2004, 01:29 AM
dimaggio's 56 game streak, mos def.

Hershiser's scoreless inning streak?

-AA

kyro
10-31-2004, 01:39 AM
teddy ballgame was the last guy to bat over .400 in a season. but there were plenty before him who did it.

M2d
10-31-2004, 02:25 AM
the streak wasn't "post WWII".

slickpoppa
10-31-2004, 02:30 AM
yeah, you got me. let's say post 1940 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nothumb
10-31-2004, 03:26 AM
I think Cal's Iron Man record will stand until the end of baseball. Whether it's a record of major significance is open to discussion, but I doubt it will be broken. I'd say the 56 game hit streak will fall before it does.

NT

Punker
10-31-2004, 05:29 AM
In the "all time" category, I'd say the all time record for wins by a pitcher is pretty safe...its like 500 something. There's no one even close on the horizon.

In the "recent" category, Nolan Ryan's lifetime no hitter total will be tough to beat, along with Ripken's consecutive game streak.

JTG51
10-31-2004, 06:04 AM
In the "recent" category, Nolan Ryan's lifetime no hitter total will be tough to beat, along with Ripken's consecutive game streak.

I think Ryan's strikeout record is at least as unlikely to fall as his no hitter record. Roger Clemens has had an amazingly long and durable career and would still probably need seven more full and productive seasons to catch Ryan.

GuyOnTilt
10-31-2004, 06:57 AM
dimaggio's 56 game streak, mos def.

I can see this one going down. A couple years ago, Ichiro had two 25+ game sitting streaks seperated by one game where he went ofer. If any currently active player breaks it, it'll probably be him. The kid's absolutely amazing to watch.

GoT

Lazymeatball
10-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Who was that guy who had that impressive hitting streak for the Marlins last year?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-31-2004, 10:21 AM
I think a better question would be post WW II records or something like that.

and

I think the most unbreakable "modern" record is Joe D's 56 game hit streak.

Make up your mind. Joe D's record was pre-WWII

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Nobody's been close to the RBI records for a long time

NL - Hack Wilson 190
AL - Lou Gehrig 184

Jim Kuhn
10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
I think the 56 game hitting streak could possibly be broken in the next few years as well as the RBI records. Bonds had 70 home runs and with more runners on base he could of had a shot. With increased scoring batters get additional chances to extend hitting streaks.

It may take another increase in scoring to do this. Scoring could be increased in many ways. Balls and bats can be more lively, strike zones can be narrowed, players bigger and stronger, the mound lowered, etc.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Daliman
10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
511 wins is the record, by some guy named Cy Young.

Unbreakable.

bugstud
10-31-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who was that guy who had that impressive hitting streak for the Marlins last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Luis Castillo?

meh, there are a lot of mlb records that won't be broken anytime soon...and 56 is probably one of the safest. Apparently, based on computer simulations, 56 is the only record that is statistically unexpected to have happened based on the talent and number of players to play the game, all-time.

bisonbison
10-31-2004, 01:18 PM
bug, i could watch your avatar all day. block. block. block. block. I remember seeing that on sportscenter.

Phat Mack
10-31-2004, 01:21 PM
I think Owen Wilson's 36 triples in a season is approaching its 100th year. I don't see it being broken unless they redesign parks or change the rules.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Career stolen base record....

1. Rickey Henderson 1406

next active player...

27. Kenny Lofton 545

Next active player who is under 35 years old....

uh well there isn't one in the top 100 so I'm not sure.

jesusarenque
10-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Fernando Tatis: two grand slams in one inning (off the same pitcher!). I don't see anyone hitting three.

Sooga
10-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Well, in 1999, Manny Ramirez had 165 RBI for the Indians while missing 15 games. If you extrapolate 165 RBI in 147 games to a full 162 games, you come up with 182 RBI, which is damn close to the AL record. This record will be VERY difficult to break, but it's nowhere near impossible, like, say, 511 career wins.

nolanfan34
10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think Ryan's strikeout record is at least as unlikely to fall as his no hitter record. Roger Clemens has had an amazingly long and durable career and would still probably need seven more full and productive seasons to catch Ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]

No arguments here! I think it will be tough to break his career K total, but I think there are other harder to break records. Henderson's career stolen bases will be tough to catch.

bugstud
10-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Carl Crawford needs to get on the ball already.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fernando Tatis: two grand slams in one inning (off the same pitcher!). I don't see anyone hitting three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh yeah I think we are talking about like real records....

I mean how many times has anyone even gotten up to the plate 3x in 1 inning.

theriversux
10-31-2004, 08:45 PM
1 Cy Young's pitching record of 511 games won during his lifetime career.

2 Charles Radburn's record of sixty pitching victories in a single season.

3 Kid Nichol's feat of winning thirty or more games per season for seven consecutive seasons.

chio
11-01-2004, 12:28 AM
bonds' 72 homers in a season will never be broken. that's because i believe no hitter can ever come along that has his strength, batspeed/swing, patience, and batting eye.

even if one did, pitchers would never pitch to him enough for him to get the chance to break the record. i don't know how bonds did it.

56 game hitting streak can be broken much more easily, but even non-great players can do it by going 1-5 in every game.

cielo
11-01-2004, 12:59 AM
My vote is for Tatis' two grand slams in 1 inning (the Dodgers do not miss you Chan Ho), if we decide that this is not a "real" record. How about calling
it 8 RBI in an inning by one hitter?

mmbt0ne
11-01-2004, 01:50 AM
How about that streak of cielo's? Will we ever see anyone else register, and then wait almost 11 months before posting?

On a more serious note, I think the Braves' 13 straight division titles and counting. I just don't see any team being able to pull that off, especially since the Braves should still be in good shape for another title next year.

youtalkfunny
11-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Let's run down the list of "unbreakable" records that I've seen broken in my lifetime:

--Gehrig's streak
--Beamon's long jump
--Maris' 61
--the 4-minute mile
--OJ's 2000 yards

That's just off the top of my head.

The only "unbreakable" records are in games that have evolved so dramatically, that it's not realistic to expect to see it again. Like pitching records that require someone to start 80 games a year for 30 years.

I say that if "DiMaggio" is possible, than "DiMaggio+1" is just as possible. Same thing goes for Ripken, VandeMeer, even Tatis.

OTOH, Gretzky+1 is looking mighty unlikely in an
age of 0-0 games.

All that being said....

....Ty Cobb stole home 35 times.

cielo
11-01-2004, 03:01 AM
hey what can i say, i like to pick my spots
or perhaps, i never felt compelled to write
anything, or perhaps i grew tired of all the
non-poker talk on recpoker.com and then proceeded
to come here to the "other other topics" forum
I'm not sure there is a good explanation

Boopotts
11-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Antother to add: Ty Cobb successfully stealing home 60-some odd times in a career.

I also doubt Cy Young as to worry too much about his career wins mark, although I'm sure someone's already mentioned that.

Losing all
11-01-2004, 03:56 AM
Before Hershiser broke it, that was considered one of the toughest to break (was it drysdale?), and HE did it.

lets set aside the impossible old records like 511 and 41. toughest possible records-

1)Ryan's K's
2) Cal
3) Hershiser
4) Joe D (I think this would be more of a lucky fluke than any kind of great play over 60 games, or whatever)

755, Bonds should destroy this, and a healthy 37 year old arod should destroy him, just like a healthy Jr. would be eyeing 800 (or 900). this record will be trashed over the next 50 years.

Someone mentioned the 1 year rbi totals, these wont be easy with the IBB's and pitch around's and whatnots, but look at all the guys with 90-100+ at the ASB over the last 20 years. Sooner or later one of these guys will stay just as hot in the second half, and 200+ will be the new record.

.400- this is clearly a tough one, and no one will hit .440 ever. but just look at how close Olerud came in 93 (or was it 92?) I'm pretty sure he was hitting .420 into July. It took a pretty horrible september to bring him into the .360's. Helton's a damn good hitter, but it's hard to say just how good because of coors. I think Pujols, Ichiro, and maybe even Manny would have an excellent shot at .400 with 81 at coors.

Senor Choppy
11-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Ripken's record will last the longest of current era records, and the reason is because it's one of the few that won't be broken by accident.

Someone will eventually hit in 57 straight. It's inevitable with so many good hitters playing to win. But playing in every game of the season every single year is difficult, for one, but it's also something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're trying for some kind of record. And everyone knows it's Cal's record now. No one is going to feel like being the dickhead to take away his only major accomplishment, especially since it isn't really much of one to begin with and it probably does a decent amount of damage to your body (assuming you have to play through the occasional injury to do it).

Bulldog
11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Funny how it used to be the sexiest of all the records, and now two people in this thread have gotten it wrong...

tripdad
11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the most secure record has got to be consecutive no hitters. The current record is two, set by Johnny Vander Meer of the Reds in the 1938 season. His two consecutive no hitters were part of a nine game consecutive win streak, where he also set a record for throwing 21 and 2/3 hitless innings. to break this record a pitcher needs to pitch three back to back no hitters, not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

a majority of the so-called experts consider this to be the safest record, and i agree.

having said that, obviously the career wins record is safe, as well as wins in a season. these records were largely built during the dead-ball era and when complete games were expected from the starting pitcher, etc....

don't forget that these records were built before major league baseball players had to be white. i don't think any legitimate fan/expert would deny that Satchel Page would have won more games than Cy Young were he allowed to pitch in the big leagues in his prime. Nolan would not have begun to sniff his no-hitter/strikeout records....on and on. the man played games/innings which people payed money to watch WITHOUT A DEFENSE playing behind him. on many occasions, he gave money back guarantees that no batter would get a hit the entire game, and delivered as promised. virtually every big leaguer that saw him pitch in his prime said he was head and shoulders the best they ever saw.

most all offensive records are likely to be broken at some point, notwithstanding the grand slams in 1 inning record...a freak of a thing to happen that nobody cares about except die-hard Tatis fans if they exist.

cheers!

Daliman
11-03-2004, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't forget that these records were built before major league baseball players had to be white. i don't think any legitimate fan/expert would deny that Satchel Page would have won more games than Cy Young were he allowed to pitch in the big leagues in his prime. Nolan would not have begun to sniff his no-hitter/strikeout records....on and on. the man played games/innings which people payed money to watch WITHOUT A DEFENSE playing behind him. on many occasions, he gave money back guarantees that no batter would get a hit the entire game, and delivered as promised. virtually every big leaguer that saw him pitch in his prime said he was head and shoulders the best they ever saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paige WAS great, but this is hyperbole. It was also said by the same negro leaguers/historians that Josh gibson hit a ball over 700 feet one time..