PDA

View Full Version : hmmmmm...

09-02-2001, 01:52 PM
This hand was in the 75-150 Stud game last night. A 3 brought it in, utg raised with an 8. The next player had a J up, and folded, but when she did, the cards hit the dealer's hand and flipped over. They were JJ5. The board behind her was KKQQ6.

Comments?

09-02-2001, 03:31 PM
It sure doesn't look like her play is right. However, there are a few players who if they raise with a small card up will only have a big pair in the hole. If this characteristic is true of the person who raised with an 8 up then she would have to have aces in the hole, so folding JJ5 could then be correct, but I am stretching it some.

09-03-2001, 03:01 AM
Please retitle this thread as "Eeeeaaaaaack". Having two wounded over-cards behind her is just 4:3 worse than having a single live over-card. But when you ARE beat the opponent's prime pair is wounded, which is quite good for the underpair.

- Louie

09-03-2001, 12:16 PM
Who the hell folded 2 jacks on 3rd street in that game?!? Heh.

My opinion, by the way...I'd fold it every time if the raiser was remotely tight in his raising standards, and probably still fold most of the time even if it was a loose raiser, unless you can tell that the big cards behind you are planning on folding. Your hand doesn't seem to have much value in this spot.

On the other hand, I keep getting the feeling I'm playing too tight on 3rd street in that game. So I dunno. That hand just seems very weak in that spot.

09-03-2001, 12:57 PM
AA raised and Marcy folded.

I'm sure that her thinking was like yours, that she could easily be trapped with that hand by a better hand behind her. Also, she was way ahead in the game and was leaving soon, so she probably didn't want to get invloved in a marginal situation. They game had been fairly aggressive, and it was likely that even if she wasn't beat, she would have to pay more bets to play the hand.

I think the decision is close between folding and 3-betting, because the exposed cards make it less likely she is beat. But if one of the players behind her calls the reraise, she should play very carefully and look for reasons to fold.

BTW, AA had TT in the hole, there was one caller, and AA won with two pair.

09-03-2001, 01:25 PM
I see that so far I was the first poster that even seriously considered folding here. AA (Alan) is one of the loosest raisers in the game most of the time so I may lean more towards reraising him but I still don't think folding is that bad a play, especially having a bad (but live) kicker. I'd just hate to get caught in the middle if one or more of the people with higher doorcards have a pair. Overall it seems like a spot where you're going to win a small pot or lose a big one, so I might as well get away from the hand right now.

"the exposed cards make it less likely she is beat"

Less likely than what? If there are 2 kings out, it is more likely that one of them has kings than it is if there is only one king out.

By the way, it was good seeing you again.