PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Reeve was an A-H

tek
10-30-2004, 06:47 PM
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve

Christopher Reeve was an [censored] by Maddox

For those of you who don't know, Christopher Reeve is the guy who played "Superman" in all four coma-inducing movies during the 80's. Before I even get started about his injury, I'd like to point out that "the curse of Superman" is bullshit, and I'd love nothing more than to punch the guy who came up with it. Just like the E! True Hollywood Stories "curse of The Little Rascals," it's much publicized Hollywood trash. Half the time they try to pass off a tragic event due to a "curse," it turns out that the actors died at the age of 86. Yeah real tragic, dumbass. An actor got murdered or paralyzed after living a healthy youth? Excuse me while I [censored] myself in awe at the mysterious power of the curse.

In 1995 "the curse" struck Reeve as he was riding a horse called "Eastern Express." The horse was running around, trying to get the gangly [censored] off of his back when he finally came to an abrupt stop before a jump, leaving Reeve's [censored] in ruins. Reeve became paralyzed from the neck down after the accident (more like conspiracy, another reason to add horse to the dinner menu).

Why is Reeve an [censored]?

Simple: because he's selfish. Reeve didn't give a [censored] about paralysis before his accident, but now that he's paralyzed, suddenly he opens up a paralysis foundation and cares about the plight of cripples? Where was his foundation in '95 when he played the role of a man with spinal cord injury? Sure, some of you might argue that he's doing a good thing by bringing attention to paralysis, but the underlying message being sent here is that nobody gives a [censored] about cripples until a celebrity becomes one.

What really pisses me off about Reeve is the sheer arrogance. Look up a Reeve biography and you'll find praise like "he has now found new meaning in life." Let me tell you something: any time you find new meaning in life because of a debilitating injury, your "old" life didn't have much meaning. Paralysis could strike anyone at any time, and if you're living your life in such a way that all your goals require the use of your arms and legs, then your life probably doesn't mean much to begin with. I'm sure people who were born paralyzed don't appreciate being told that their lives "have meaning too," as if they need affirmation from people who spend most of their lives working to pay off stupid bullshit like sports cars, expensive houses, and other junk that they don't need.
The "still living life to the fullest" doctrine pisses me off even more because you can almost hear a voice in your head that finishes off the sentence with "...as a cripple." What does it mean to "still live life to the fullest"? Why should it require any extra effort or energy, or the addition of the word "still" in front if you were living your life "to the fullest" to begin with? What can physical mobility afford you that pure thought can't alone? It's so gracious of Mr. Reeve to acknowledge that you can "still" live a meaningful life, even as a cripple. I'm sure that people who struggle with paralysis every day are exuberant at having someone champion their cause, it's just too bad that Reeve is in all likelihood doing it because he cares about himself first and foremost. Would he have opened up a paralysis foundation before the accident? Doubtful. Of course, we can never know for sure, but the fact remains that he didn't open up a foundation before the accident, and he poured his heart and soul into research afterwards, so the only conclusion that can be made is that he's doing it simply because he himself needs treatment.

The fact that he's helping thousands of people as he helps himself is a side effect of his cure; not necessarily his intention. I have little doubt that Mr. Reeve would work as hard to find a cure for paralysis if he was one of only a hand full of victims, so I don't think he deserves praise for this "good deed," because if it was intentional on his part to help these people, he probably would have had a paralysis foundation before the accident occurred.

I didn't have any beef with Reeve before his accident, but it's the praise he collects for his selfishness that makes him an [censored] in my book. If tomorrow Reeve selflessly dedicated all of his time and effort--or even half of it--towards finding a cure for cancer or heart disease, he'd have my respect (not that he's trying to earn my respect, but having my respect is an awesome privilege). Hell, he'd earn my respect if he just cut the condescending bullshit for a few minutes, such as this prize quote "I've noticed that there are very few roles for people in chairs... I would like to see people with disabilities featured sympathetically." No [censored]? As opposed to all those other movies that show people with disabilities being demonized? Like it happens so often anyway. Why should people with disabilities be featured any more sympathetically than people without disabilities? If his goal is to live a normal life, how normal could his life be if all his future roles were "sympathetic"? Oh look, here comes the cripple, everyone act sympathetic regardless of the plot, because real life cripples never experience conflict or drama. If I were in a wheel chair, I'd want an ass kicking role where I would spend the entire movie running over people's fingers and tossing old ladies off of cliffs, not some suck-ass sissy role where I'd sit around and cry like a pussy.

Before you send me email bitching about me picking on cripples, ask yourself the following question: why is it any more acceptable to pick on non-cripples? Sounds like discrimination to me. If you're the type of person who would be offended by an article picking on Christopher Reeve without giving second thought to other celebrities I've picked on, chances are good that you're racist*.
*Note: I know that "race" doesn't have anything to do with being crippled. I'm just connecting the dots here people, quit emailing me.

CHRISTOPHER "MAN OF STEEL" REEVE
1952-2004

Cerril
10-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Well I sort of see the intent here but really I've never been one to come down too hard on someone for doing a good deed, even if it's selfishly motivated. The person may not deserve the credit they're getting but there's no reason to flip the other way and attack them either.

Neil Stevens
10-30-2004, 07:15 PM
He spent his own money and lobbied to spend other people's money to cure a disease he had. How is that a "good deed?"

I don't fault the guy for the former, but I don't see anything he did that makes him heroic or even noteworthy.

ilya
10-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Is he done yet?

Jett Rink
10-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Holy Christ you are bitter. You may not want to praise him but why not just let that stuff roll off your back? Sounds like a person with a very high opinion of himself who isn't receiving praise for his own great achievements ( of which there are likely none ).

I think most people get involved with certain charities because they know or think they know a little about them. And how do most of us know something about these things? By knowing someone who is afflicted. And when it is yourself of course you will soon know all there is to know.

Of course he raised awareness by being high profile. But what kind of idiot would become a quadrapalegic at 44 and then go campaign for heart and stroke?

You want to gang up on an undeserving celebrity go get on Paris Hilton's case.

pokerkai
10-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Martin Luther King and Malcolm X werent really great figures in history...they were just looking out for their black backs!

Ghandi too! The only reason he cared was because his people were being persecuted. Where the hell was he during the holocaust! NOWHERE! Selfish bastard.

I hope none of you are dense enough to miss my sarcasm

blackaces13
10-30-2004, 08:41 PM
This is in such bad taste. Let's ridicule a guy who recently died and was paralyzed due to a freak accident years ago and spent the last years of his life in a wheelchair. Oh, and lets also bash him because he tried to do a lot of things to further research into paralysis only AFTER he got injured (because most able-bodied people donate so heavily to those charities right? I mean its on everyone's mind all the time, not making paralysis one of your main concerns when you can walk is just so weird isn't it?). Good God man, find something better to do with your time.

B Dids
10-30-2004, 10:46 PM
You people have obviously never read Maddox. He hates everybody, it's opinion funtioning as Satire. Read the rest of the his site.

daryn
10-30-2004, 11:09 PM
also he wrote this long before CR died.

Blarg
10-31-2004, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I were in a wheel chair, I'd want an ass kicking role where I would spend the entire movie running over people's fingers and tossing old ladies off of cliffs, not some suck-ass sissy role where I'd sit around and cry like a pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

That was some funny stuff.

I agree with the writer that calling everyone who has something bad happen to them a "hero" or "courageous" or somehow full of some lifegiving spirit just because they were unlucky enough(or sometimes just stupid enough) to get thoroughly kicked in the crotch by life is dumb.

I'm sure some of these guys being lionized for their terrible luck have sometimes found it tiring and silly, and thought, jeez, I can't even cut a fart without somebody finding it heroic and wanting to congratulate me on it.

I've seen some guys who have rescued this person or kept that kitten from getting electrocuted on t.v. and being quoted in the papers as saying, "I'm no hero." The funny thing is, that's usually taken as evidence of how great a hero they really are, as if modesty afterward somehow made their deed even greater when they did it. And the thing is, it's not even being modest a lot of the time. They just did what anyone would do, or at least a big percentage of people.

I've seen this with cops and firemen sometimes too, who are sometimes in a terrible situation and just wind up doing the least stupid thing possible, what anyone would do who wasn't an idiot or actually TRYING to die. They didn't actually take any heroic steps or risk anything more for anybody than they were already risking in the first place, unless you just want to call them heroes for taking the job and showing up to work that day. And then suddenly getting trapped in a jam. None of that is heroic. Don't get me wrong, it's one thing if you wander into a fire. But it's another thing if you're in one already and just have to fight your way out to save your ass.

Blarg
10-31-2004, 12:52 AM
P.S. I wouldn't wish injury on anyone, but when I first heard about Reeve's injury, I was thinking, "What an idiot." Kind of like when a Nascar racer crashes or some bungee jumper forgets to fasten his bungee cord to the bridge. It may be an accident, but it's not a tragedy. Do stupid, dangerous stuff, and it sometimes backfires on you, and you know that going in.

Reeve was a rich guy, still young, on top of the world. He had children to raise, didn't he? And he had to put himself in the way of stupid accidents like that by riding and jumping horses, huge dumb animals that a person can only be in control of to within certain limits. Something that couldn't possibly be less necessary. I can understand guys with nothing to lose risking it all on something stupid, but rich guys, still young and on top of the world?

I've always admired the boxer more who retires too early than too late.

tek
10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Also check out:

www.tuckermax.com (http://www.tuckermax.com)

27 year-old guy writing about drinking and screweing random women /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cerril
10-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Well, heroic and noteworthy aren't the only alternatives to an "A-H", as the post puts it. I've never been inclined to put him on a pedestal but I've also never felt justified condemning him either. That's all I was really saying.