PDA

View Full Version : Table coaching with SSH

twang
10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
I made the mistake to have the chat feature on and here is what I saw. But first, the hand that got the conversation going:

Guy 1 is button. A couple of calls. Guy 1 calls.

Flop comes J high, ragged rainbow. A few checks, a bet, a few callers (including Guy 1), a few folders (including Hero).

Turn is a small blank. Board is now rainbow junk. Checked around.

River is a 9. A couple of checks, a bet, a couple of callers (including Guy 1), a couple of folds.

Guy 1 shows Q9s and wins 13 BB with a pair of nines.

Guy 1: "I encourage all of you to buy "Small Stakes Hold 'em" by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth." (exact quote)

Guy 2: "Yeah, itīs great." (something like that)

Hero: "You have no idea, do you?" (Not targeting his play, he got the odds so it was a no-brainer. I just wanted him to stop talking about the book. Why, oh why, would someone encourage their opponents to pick up a book and get better? It makes no sense at all.)

Guy 1: "Miller says that you should never fold mediocre holdings in a big pot."

Guy 1: "And thatīs exactly what I did with Q9" (he just won a pot and is very happy, obviously)

Guy 1: "Old me would never have done that!"

Hero: "You have no idea. Think."

Guy 2: **** (hero) is an idiot, heīs just trying to start something.

Guy 1: "Yeah"

Obviously I was lost here. I had no idea how to shut them up so I turned off the chat and hoped for the best.

/twang

bennyk
10-30-2004, 06:24 PM
I've seen these SSH professors a couple times at the tables. They are usually momos and don't play very well.
I also turn the chat off because they hurt my brain.
bk

topspin
10-30-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not targeting his play, he got the odds so it was a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

He "has odds" to call down to the river with no pair hoping to river a pair of 9's?

I should think you'd be ecstatic if everyone else at your table took his advice and started playing exactly the same.

twang
10-30-2004, 06:48 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know what youīre saying. I thought the same too, until I checked the hand history. At the flop he had the odds to take one off (overcard + runner-runner flush). Many players called pf and he was the button so the pot was pretty big when it got to him at the flop. The turn was checked around. Calling that last bet on a non-scary board was absolutely ok, IMHO - the pot was pretty good sized.

But to be honest, I donīt think he was aware.

/twang

Yobz
10-30-2004, 07:24 PM
You mean when you see a fish at a table you don't instantly tell them to go out and buy poker books that will make them better?
I mean, comon, you don't want them cold-calling 63o preflop and sucking out on you when you have AA!!