PDA

View Full Version : 24 Weeks to WSOP Quest + Still not crushing the low limit? Read this.

dogmeat
10-30-2004, 01:35 PM
First, the weekly stuff - WSOP 2005 Quest is 24 weeks from done. $170 a week put into fund. The schedule is out, and I will be playing in events #2 NL $1.5k, #4 Limit HE $1.5k, #7 NL w/rebuy $1k and #8 7-stud $1.5k If my schedule permits, I'll also play in the $2k NL the next day. Then, at the end of the month I'll be on a family vacation at Lake Tahoe for 10-days, and with hope I'll be able to come back for the $10K Supe satellite's on July 6th if I have not won a seat in an online tourny. That's the plan. Hope to see you there.

Now, for the question about whether you are crushing the low limit games yet or not. Firstly, there is a great deal of good information here on the 2+2 forums. When you are reading something from the very smart and successful players like Schneids, Gonnores, Johnnyboomboom, Clarkmeister, Homer, Dynasty, Mason, Ed Miller etc. you will get pretty direct advice. You can trust it. But just because a person has a long post about their play, and has a few hundred posts to their credit, does not mean they always know what they are talking about. Be careful with what/who you read/believe here.

You will read posts from people like Tosh, Joetall, MS Sunshine, and especially Davidross who post their thinking, but still ask if it seems reasonable, and accept others input as possibly being valid. Believe them.

There are others that demand that we cow to their thinking, and these are the scarry ones, because they are not always right. They have their heart in the right place, but often their logic is flawed. Be very careful about these posters.

This group of "demanders" includes David Sklansky. David is without a doubt, the best math poker mind around. He demands that you see things from his point of view - and his view is based on math. And he is the exception to the rule. Believe what David says, but always remember that YOU may not be able to translate his math and decision making to your play. If everybody played the same, a computer (or a brain like David's) could always beat their competition. However, sometimes you need to exploit the way the other players are playing, and this starts with math, but ends with psychology.

Now a reason some of you may still not be crushing the low-limit games is because of your game selection. David (again, and it pisses me off) was way ahead of the curve here, stating 30-years ago that you should find the weakest game around and play in it. This is even more true today with the multi-game ability of the internet.

When you select a game based on pot-size, you are making a mistake if this is the only way you critique a game! If you select a $2/$4 game because it has a $52 pot size, wait on a 5-player list and then get seated, what do you think you will then find? A table full of weak players? Maybe, but probably not.

The game has probably attracted several good players. That pot-size may have already shrunk, and you may be the biggest fish in the game now. If you go into the game thinking you can play an ABC game of poker, you are probably wrong.

Suppose with all that action you figure you can play your pair of pocket three's for a raise in MP, and by the time it gets back to you it was raised again, so you are in for three bets - well, it's an action game, and these guys are gambling. Again, you are probably wrong. You need to play those weak pocket pairs against at least 3 opponents who will go to the river - but you may find that these guys have real hands, like KK, TT and AQ suited. So, should you want to be in there for 3 bets?

NO. Your hand is only going to hold-up 15% of the time, and even if everybody were to go to the river everytime, this had is a big dog. You will be putting in 25% of the money, and only be getting back 15%.

Suppose you get AQo. Do you like it now? NO, you are only going to win 19% of the time. You want to play the AQo heads-up or against two opponents, and you don't want to be stuck playing it for a raise or two where you will almost certainly be dominated by someone with AK.

Make sure you recheck the stats on your game after a few orbits - things change. Know whether you are in a game with loose, passive players (stay forever), or whether those pots are being made by strong, tight-aggressive players (consider leaving). If you stay, adjust your play according to the other players.

If you get to choose your game by the site's listing of % to the flop, understand that you will play considerably differently in a 35% to the flop game than a 65% to the flop game. If you don't understand what hands you want to limp with and play for EV in multi-hand flops, then you really need to read something like 2+2's SSH by Ed Miller.

Anyway, I'm sorry I got long winded, but selecting a game based on pot-size can put you in a game with a bunch of tough, aggressive players, because that is what they do, push their edges with multiple raises. Understand what you are getting into, and don't be afraid to keep looking for better games. When you find that game of mostly passive players with a % to the flop of +50%, understand that your big hands (like AA) against four or five mediocre hands will get beat from 65-75% of the time. You need to protect it with raises early, but be willing to back-off or even fold by the turn because you will be drawing dead. If you can understand this concept and act accordingly, then the fact that they win only 25-35% of the time won't bother you.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Tosh
10-30-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The game has probably attracted several good players. That pot-size may have already shrunk, and you may be the biggest fish in the game now. If you go into the game thinking you can play an ABC game of poker, you are probably wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO table selection online is overrated. Tables change fast, unless you spend all your time focusing on which table(s) you should be at, you're not going to have a good table all the time. As long as the pot sizes are not extremely small there's profit to be had.

I am not bothered by finding some good players at a table either, we need to keep improving our game, playing against fish is profitable but sometimes its nice to actually think about the hand.
[ QUOTE ]

Make sure you recheck the stats on your game after a few orbits - things change. Know whether you are in a game with loose, passive players (stay forever), or whether those pots are being made by strong, tight-aggressive players (consider leaving). If you stay, adjust your play according to the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but again, don't focus all your attention on this at the expense of playing.

helpmeout
10-30-2004, 11:17 PM
1. Table selection

2. Skill

Table selection is way underrated, sure the people on the tables change a lot but if you have 2-3 real fish then you will cash in regardless of how many world class players are there.

1p0kerb0y
10-31-2004, 10:25 AM
I agree with Tosh that table selection online is way overrated. Also, in Mason's Poker Essays I, he suggests finding a game with a medium size pot. The games with large pots are sometimes extremely lousy to play.

GuyOnTilt
10-31-2004, 10:42 AM
The games with large pots are sometimes extremely lousy to play.

While I've found that tables with small pots (6'ish BB's) aren't bad to play in, tables with large ones (9-10 BB's) are usually better. The difference, at least in the Party 15, is usually an extra cold-caller or two, which just makes the games great.

GoT

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Table selection is key in a B&M, where the tables are much less fluid. If the blinds get chopped twice in one orbit, I'm up and scouting another table. Online the games change MUCH faster, but I still don't want to be at a table full of 2+2ers, or weak-tight rocks. The extra couple bets from cold-calling idiots at any limit can make or break you.

Assume the goal is 3BB/100, and assume you win 7% of pots (I don't have PT here, this is prolly a low estimate). One extra player cold-calls preflop when he should have folded, then loses without putting in any more bets and you've hit your target. This only needs to happen 1/2 the time to reach the magical number. Sometimes the fool draws out on you, but this is more than made up for by the extra bets put in when he is dominated. All this is what makes table selection so important. A table where 5 see the flop will allow you to win a lot. Make that six, and there is enough extra dead money in the pot to turn you from profitable to rolling in cash.

Dov
10-31-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this yet, so I will. I wrote this in a post about 2 months ago, I think, but I'll repost it here as it seems appropriate.

The ultimate form of online table selection is your poker tracker database. Simply sort it by VPIP in decending order and use the poker site's player search feature or buddy list feature to find them. When you find them, join their table or waiting list. When they leave, you leave, unless you have a new fish at the table to stay for.

If you don't have a fish list, yet, just open a bunch of tables, and start mining hands at the limit you want to play. Once you have a couple of names, you are ready to go.

The bigger the fish you can find with more hands played, the more valuable he will be to you. This is because you will be more likely to be able to find them later and frequently.

Good luck, everyone.

Dov

dogmeat
10-31-2004, 02:24 PM
I obviously agreee that table selection is very important, hence my post. However, I don't agree that 2-3 fish make for a game you will always cash out a winner in if there are world-class players in the other seats.

The main point of my post was that many players assume a large pot size translates to a great game, which it does not.

Blarg
10-31-2004, 03:23 PM
A little note about pot sizes: on Party, I take those figures with a big grain of salt.

Party's numbers can be delayed by many minutes, which is sometimes long enough for what might be several players to have left the table.

As an example, I've seen Party, extremely frequently, show 9 people on a table and 6 on a waiting list, but come in to the table to check, and found there is no waiting list, and just sat down. Going back to the lobby, I again that the waiting list is still listed. Further, going back to the lobby I see that the table isn't seating 9 people, it's now seating 10 since I got there. But for several minutes it still says 9. Or, maybe it's showing 8 people now because the lobby finally updated the people coming and going.

Similarly, I've joined games that say there are six people and four spots open to find them full. Several minutes later, the lobby still says there are four spots open.

Sometimes I can try to jump into what the lobby says is table after open table, and every one is full. The lobby doesn't say any differently for quite a few minutes at a time.

So, when I see the average pot size in the lobby, I know it could be determined by people or multiple people who left several minutes ago, and that even if those same people are there you could see what I've seen before a number of times -- the average pot figure displayed in the lobby suddenly plummetting by $5 in a $2/4 game, no small amount in a game that size, with no intermediary steps.

Party and their skins can take quite a while to update anything numerical, from players to waiting lists to free spots at the table. I never assume the average pot size is very accurate.

joker122
10-31-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't know what this is supposed to be.

Tosh
10-31-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The main point of my post was that many players assume a large pot size translates to a great game, which it does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet that if you plotted profitability of game against pot size, you would have a pretty good line of best fit.

La Brujita
10-31-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ultimate form of online table selection is your poker tracker database. Simply sort it by VPIP in decending order and use the poker site's player search feature or buddy list feature to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic question: how do you sort all the players by VPIP or any other criterion?

For my two cents, table selection is crucial to get really poor players sending money your way.

Blarg
10-31-2004, 06:32 PM
Go do it in the summary section. Click on the column titles, like VPIP, BB/100, most hands, etc, and it sorts by that column, highest first. Click again and it sorts by lowest first.

La Brujita
10-31-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Go do it in the summary section. Click on the column titles, like VPIP, BB/100, most hands, etc, and it sorts by that column, highest first. Click again and it sorts by lowest first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks for the tip. I know the sample size might be small (1 hand) but one dude is winning 693 hands per hour. He must be good!

But think about the poor schlub loosing 463 BBs per 100 (1 hand).

Blarg
10-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Heheh yeah. I've got one guy with a preflop raise % of 100, but he's only played one hand. There's no reason to believe he won't play his other hands the same, though.

dogmeat
10-31-2004, 10:56 PM
I have Poker Tracker leave off all players with less than 100 hands. It loads quicker this way, and gives a much more believable set of statistics.