PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

kennedy
10-30-2004, 12:14 PM

Spartacus
10-30-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified

Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.
Return to Forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally I get to be first! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JAque
10-30-2004, 12:19 PM
I clicked it too just in case /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JAque

melnik
10-30-2004, 02:02 PM
3rd time lucky mabye

dogmeat
10-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Please don't post your spam here!

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

GrannyMae
10-30-2004, 03:56 PM
you guys know why it has been so bad lately?

it is because the sheer volume at rgp has made these spam campaigns inefective so they are branching out here. this is why we have to be so vigilant.

on wednesday we cracked 17,000 registered members. by friday we were already over 17,500 members. that a big draw to spammers.

17.03p ET

Simon Diamond
10-30-2004, 07:19 PM
you guys know why it has been so bad lately?

it is because the sheer volume at rgp has made these spam campaigns inefective so they are branching out here. this is why we have to be so vigilant.

on wednesday we cracked 17,000 registered members. by friday we were already over 17,500 members. that a big draw to spammers.

What Granny said. I have said it a few times before - the best thing all posters can do when they see a spam post is a) do not reply to it and bump it to the top of the board and b) notify the moderator. There is absolutely no use in writing "GO AWAY YOU SPAMMER" (or anything else along those lines), because they (spammers) don't care what you think and will not heed your warning. All it does is bump the thread to the top and assist them with their devious plans...

Also never assume that somebody else has notified the moderator. There is no harm in double and triple checking, as the good posters here are invaluable as Mat's second pair of eyes. That's my public service announcement for today...

Thythe
10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Someone is inevitably going to reply to every spam thread in the zoo. The equilibrium of not posting in any spam threads is very unstable. This being the case, it is better that the first reply be of the sort of "racing" to notify the moderator.

morgant
10-30-2004, 07:27 PM
and thythe counters with a bold up front smother and cripple procedure to undo the spammers efforts, what say ye simon?

Simon Diamond
10-30-2004, 07:41 PM
I maintain that there should be no reason to reply to a spam post. Maybe I'm wrong... You guys post here more often than me after all.

Thythe
10-30-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I maintain that there should be no reason to reply to a spam post. Maybe I'm wrong... You guys post here more often than me after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% that the best way is for them to disapper, but being the zoo I think that always someone will respond to them. Better the 1st reply to be something along the lines of "spammer" or the quote of notifying the moderator rather than a newbie thinking it is a legit deal and us having to explain to him later what happened.

dogmeat
10-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Simon, I don't know what a post is until I click on it - if the first person that sees it is Spam would do as I did, and mention this in a heading, then I won't have to do it myself so often. As for the other poster's comment that "there is no need to check", again, how do I know what the post is without checking?

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Simon Diamond
10-31-2004, 04:52 AM
Fair points guys, maybe one reply headed up "THIS IS SPAM" would serve its purpose. Noobs might still click on it anyway, but such is life...