PDA

View Full Version : Preflop play at higher levels

mrharb
10-30-2004, 10:05 AM
To steal I always raise 3x the blind, or go allin if I have <8xbb. Also, If I have <3xbb after posting the big blind, I call/go allin with any hand preflop. I fig If I fold the big blind I am too shortstacked to steal the blinds without a showdown, and the blinds come too fast to get a much better hand. Is this fairly standard?

When I have 4-6x bb and the table is shorthanded, what hands should I steal with? I use any ace and any pocket from any position. Is this too aggressive? and should I add hands like kq, k9, j10s if I am on the button or one away?

When the table folds around and I am small blind, what hands should I steal with? Ive been using ax, kx and pocket pairs. Conversely, when I am big blind and small blind tries to steal, which hands can I call with? If sb is aggressive or would bluff that spot, Ill call with qx and up.

Last question. If I am small blind and a full table folds to me, is big blind statistically more likely to have a good hand (cuz everyone who folded probably didnt have aces and kings). Is the difference enough to impact my decision? ie: 3handed I should steal with a2, but at a full table big blind is likely enough to have a2 beat.

Thanks!

Daliman
10-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Everything you said sound good. Yes, full table, the "bunching factor" is in effect. Since full table is usually at lower levels, i jusr go ahead and forfeit my 10 or 15 chips with hands like A2 and KT, since any hand that plays with you likely has you killed.