PDA

View Full Version : Do you always drop KQo early?

Unarmed
10-30-2004, 09:33 AM
This has been an auto fold for me, and I suspect for most, but what do you do on level 1 with KQo on the button if:

Its folded around to you
5 limpers to you

PrayingMantis
10-30-2004, 10:55 AM
When it's folded to me on the btn, KQo is surely worth playing. Making a standard raise looks fine in this situation.

When there are many limpers in-front, KQo is worth limping behind, trying to hit a big flop, playing wisely when K or Q flops, or using your position to make the best of it even if you don't hit at all, or hit a strong draw. But in any case, I wouldn't over-play it, because it's a problematic hand when stacks are relatively deep.

ilya
10-30-2004, 12:23 PM
What he said. Except I'll also play it in late MP and in the CO.

Paul78
10-30-2004, 01:33 PM
With 5 limpers I'd limp in and hope for 2 pair or at least a JTx flop straight draw if it's a cheap turn card. If I only flop top pair and there's any bet higher than 2x BB I'm outta there.

Irieguy
10-30-2004, 03:28 PM
And what he said except I'll play it even earlier if I'm reasonably certain I can see the flop for cheap and get paid off if I get lucky (which I usually am).

Irieguy

pshreck
10-31-2004, 02:16 AM
In lower level SNG's, the KQ is slightly more powerful (but still nothing special) as many K's and Q's are played without the Ace kicker. In EP I fold it early.. but MP to LP I call if its been called behind, and raise if I'm first to act in LP. Also at the low levels Ill never bet the JTx flop if there are a lot of people in... It is a monster draw, but I know I can get the money in later if I hit. Ofcourse if it is heads up, bet the JTx flop every day of the week.

Finally... I almost never call any raise with this hand. Not even a min raise (this is early on, 9 or 10 handed). It will get you into a lot of trouble.... winning small pots and losing big ones.