PDA

View Full Version : What games have money in them?

KanigawaCards7
10-29-2004, 10:42 PM
to my knowledge these are games that have a reasonable professional circuit/tournaments:
Poker- a lot
Chess- alot
Gin Rummy- comparitively little
MTG- comparitively little

what other games have money in them?And what kind of money are we talking

Neil Stevens
10-30-2004, 01:14 PM
There's money in professional go/baduk/weiqi, though it's hard for me to judge how much because it's all in South Korean Won and Japanese Yen.

Ghazban
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Mah-jongg is also frequently played for money (high stakes, too).

jomatty
10-30-2004, 01:50 PM
backgammon which along with MTG is turning out some great poker players.

augie00
10-30-2004, 02:34 PM
You can get together with Gus Hansen and play some high stakes Yahtzee!

JaBlue
10-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Chess is not a field to enter for money.. trust me. Impossible to make money unless you're in top 1% of the playing field, in which case you still probably cannot make a living. To make a living at chess you have to be probably more around top .01% of all chessplayers.

-Jared

KingDan
10-30-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chess is not a field to enter for money.. trust me. Impossible to make money unless you're in top 1% of the playing field, in which case you still probably cannot make a living. To make a living at chess you have to be probably more around top .01% of all chessplayers.

-Jared

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a chessplayer, I would say much less. I am somewhere around 8th for my age group, and I doubt I would be able to make any decent living. It will probably pay for my college, but beyond that no. Only the very top few in the world get money, and those are people who study for 6 hours a day since they are a teenager.
For the GMS (very top, maybe top .01%) most of them struggle to make a living.

chesspain
10-30-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
to my knowledge these are games that have a reasonable professional circuit/tournaments:
Poker- a lot
Chess- alot
Gin Rummy- comparitively little
MTG- comparitively little

what other games have money in them?And what kind of money are we talking

[/ QUOTE ]

Chess? I guess so, if by "a lot," you mean that there are at least ten people in the world making a living solely by playing in tournaments.