PDA

View Full Version : Loose table strategy

08-20-2002, 01:20 AM
ok, how do people suggest altering strategy in a crazy-loose game. Do you tighten up or take more gambles?

giles

08-20-2002, 02:16 AM
I just re-read the loose game strategy changes in 7CSFAP 21st century edition and there is alot of good info in there about what hands need to be tightened up on and what hands you can loosen up on.

The question you are asking is really quite complex.

Leroy

08-21-2002, 12:18 PM
I think you should tighten up, except if you can see 4th street for the bring-in. Be prepared to fold on 4th or 5th if the pot is raised and you don't improve. Avoid semi-bluffing in early streets. On 6th and 7th you can become agressive, especially if your opponents' boards look crap.

08-24-2002, 02:29 PM
I'm struggling with this myself. In these games I tend to win small pots and lose big ones, "defending" big pairs and two pairs.

I don't have any good advice yet, but I'm beginning to think that "table image" and deception are indispensible to beating these games (at least at the 1-5, no ante limits I play). You've got to convince people that you're not as tight as you actually are, and you've got to find a balance between deception and suboptimal play.

One of the problems I'm finding, is that there are fewer playable hands than in hold'em, and any borderline hands you do find should usually be dropped on fourth street. I'm thinking about trying something new:

1) play LOTS (50% or more) of hands for the bring in, hoping to catch perfect on fourth and make a big hand. The problem is, often, even a perfect card on 4th street still won't put you in a great position given your weak start. The benefit would be that you look much looser (I guess you ARE looser, but you'll be folding a ton on 4th).

2) play EVERY hand for a raise on third. I feel like this will promote the gambling image that is needed. My thinking here is based on a couple of observations: Low limit stud players HATE raised bring ins. They take them as a personal affront. You may scare people off early, but eventually, people are going to get fed up and play with you. Also, this should help keep you from being too readable, which it seems is my big problem right now.

I don't know about any of this, I'm just kind of spit balling, but I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this.

08-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Jeffrey,

Playing every hand for a small raise on third street is not a bad idea if you are starting with good cards. But limping on over 50% of your hands is.

I cannot imagine some of the junk you will be playing if you limp this much. And catching a perfect fourth street card will not always win you the pot. You are correct to see fourth street with a lot of junk if these games are passive. I play near any live pair and some pretty trash but live three straights, and I am seeing nowhere near 50% of the hands. If you start limping hoping to catch a perfect ace for a mere pair that will win you the pot maybe half the time (or even less), you are going to get crushed.

IMO, you don't have to change your game much to look like a gambler. Some strong tactical raises on the later streets with second best hands, or raising on 4th with a four flush that never gets there will get you plenty of action. Be sure to quietly muck these hands and the other, less skilled players in your game will consider you insane.

Also, this is not true in all areas, but playing big pairs fast and furiously actually adds to your insane image. As an example, last night I had pocket AA in a $2-$10 stud game. A player to my right with a K showing made it $12 to go after everyone had limped. I made it $22. Everyone folded, the K made it $32. I made it $42. He made it $52. I called.

I now feared a roll, so I just called down the entire way. He checked to me on the river, I bet $10 with unimproved aces, he called and showed his kings. Upon seeing these hands, one player exclaimed: "Aces? Just aces? All that betting on just aces?" (I'm not sure why she was insulting me, since my opponent had "just Ks"!) In general, playing a normal, solid game will make very little sense to your weaker opponents. But my game is very loose, and I hear some of the $1-$5 games around the country are rock gardens.

Good luck.

Mike