PDA

View Full Version : A typical hand; did I do anything wrong?

durron597
10-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Very early in the tournament; paddel9 is a loose player, no read on other guy.

No-limit Texas Hold'em $10+$1 (real money), hand #413,213,757
10+1 NL Holdem Multi Table Tournament, 29 Oct 2004 09:07 PM

View <previous | next> hand for this table

Seat 1: f.o.s.k. ($1,500 in chips)
Seat 2: goldfinger66 ($1,505 in chips)
Seat 3: ankles16 ($3,880 in chips)
Seat 4: paddel9 ($1,185 in chips)
Seat 5: joosug ($1,320 in chips)
Seat 6: actionview ($1,520 in chips)
Seat 7: IronMule ($1,450 in chips)
Seat 8: durron597 [ A/images/graemlins/club.gif,A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ] ($1,470 in chips)
Seat 9: srvfpd ($1,320 in chips)
Seat 10: wahuu ($1,330 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
srvfpd posts blind ($10), wahuu posts blind ($20).

PRE-FLOP
f.o.s.k. calls $20, goldfinger66 folds, ankles16 folds, paddel9 calls $20, joosug folds, actionview folds, IronMule folds, durron597 bets $125, srvfpd folds, wahuu folds, f.o.s.k. calls $105, paddel9 calls $105.

FLOP [board cards Q/images/graemlins/club.gif,10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,4/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
f.o.s.k. checks, paddel9 checks, durron597 bets $300, f.o.s.k. folds, paddel9 folds.

Lloyd
10-30-2004, 07:13 PM
I think you played this in a very standard fashion. Your pre-flop raise was in the "standard" range given the limpers. There was nothing wrong with your bet on the flop and you won the pot.

There were probably two other options on the flop, given that it's not really scary for you. If someone has a set you're probably going to lose a lot on this hand. There's no flush draw and although there is a straight draw I wouldn't be too afraid of it. You're holding two aces - so the likelihood of someone having AK is very small (especially since nobody else raised). I guess a bad player could have come in with KJ but you're holding 2 of their outs of that's the case. Chances are someone doesn't have 2 pair with a board like that. So, you've got the best hand and there's not much you need to protect it from. So the question is how to extract the most money on this flop. You might have to change your strategy on the turn if a scary card does come. But for now, you want to figure out how to get more money into the pot.

You could check-raise here. Or check-limp with a bet on the turn. Checking could look a little suspicious but you're probably playing against people who aren't thinking too much. The other thought is that if you decide to bet the flop (versus a check-raise or check-limp) you might want to bet less to entice someone to call. Again, this could look suspicious to someone who is thinking through the hand, but . . . If you bet 150, even someone with a miracle straight draw isn't getting good enough odds to call. But perhaps you'll pick up a call or two.