PDA

View Full Version : 25/50 stud with $5 ante and $5 bring-in

08-15-2002, 01:29 PM
I currently play in 9 handed 25/50 stud with $5 ante and $5 bring-in in a Manhattan club. Just wanted to discuss some general strategy and see what others have to say.

First- general third street strategy.

I'd say you should always reraise higher upcards when you have a big pair if you think you can get the pots heads up (or if a very weak player will call with weak hands). Given the high ante structure and the extra ante in the pot, there will be two small bets ($50- $45 in antes and $5 bring-in) of dead money in a heads up pot.

Reraise suspected larger pairs with live smaller pairs with a live overcard kicker, however only if you are quite sure this will result in a heads up pot. In this spot, with a weak third player behind you who will likely come in anyway you should probably fold since there will be too many ways to be outdrawn.

Always reraise with a live flush draw with a live overcard and live flush cards.

General 5th street strategy:

5th street is a major "knocking out" street. Raise with as little as one live overcard if it will very likely create a heads up pot (and your cards are live).

If the pot is already heads up be prepared to go to the river with a live 3 straight or three flush or just one overcard to your opponents represented pair.

One additional general observation: once you call 5th street you have to be very sure you are beaten if you are ever going to fold your hands on sixth or the river- the pot is just too large (not to mention at this limit the players are very tricky so they might not have what they are representing)

08-15-2002, 02:15 PM
In my previous message,in the 8th paragraph about calling with 3 straights and 3 flushes in heads up pots, I left out the fact that you have small pair to go with the 3 straight or flush

08-15-2002, 05:31 PM
whats the name of the club and where is located?

how do you play 9 handed stud?

08-15-2002, 07:20 PM
This sounds like standard 7CSFAP strategy.

08-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Mung:

I've been looking for info about clubs in Manhattan that offer stud. Any more info? If you want to e-mail me privately do so at:

dq1602@hotmail.com

08-16-2002, 01:15 PM
Just to clarify, even the name alone would be helpful. Thanks.

BTW, I'm not a cop. /images/smile.gif

08-16-2002, 06:47 PM
If a 3rd player is coming into the pot anyways, I do not think you should be folding small pair/bigger kicker than the original raiser's upcard. Even if both of these players have bigger pairs than you, you are a small money favorite in this situation, so long as your kicker is boss. And you can increase your edge even more if you can eliminate the 3rd player later by, say, raising the bettor on fifth even if you have not improved. Thus, you maximize your chances of winning with two small pair.

Mike

08-19-2002, 12:38 AM
I'd like to know about this club too, could you please email me at ssrtist@yahoo.com ?

I usually play at a club in brooklyn but they sometimes don't have enough players...

I will give you my phone number when u email me

thanks.

08-21-2002, 10:37 AM
"Always reraise with a live flush draw with a live overcard and live flush cards."

Isn't a live 3 "flush draw" (3 suited cards) a dog to a high pair? Even with a card higher than the "highest" pair.....

Do you consider live with no cards of the suit out or less than two out?

responses appreciated.

Jack