PDA

View Full Version : a common situation

fairness
10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
ok heres a pretty general question...

one limper, you raise on the button with AK, the bigblind calls. three to the flop and it comes:

flop : 6 6 J rainbow, (6.5 small bets) - 3 players

they both check to you, you bet, bigblind calls, limper folds.

turn : Ace (8.5 small bets) - 2 players

big blind checks to you, you bet your TPTK, the big blind CHECK/RAISES...
now what do you do ? (7 BBs when it's back to you)

I ask this question cause it seems to happen to me a lot in small stakes...I used to not give people credit for trips and end up costing myself 2 more big bets after calling him down only to be shown the goods.

I've recently started folding to these turn checkraises. I think to myself, "if I was in the big blind and flopped trips, would I check to the preflop raiser? YES. would i check/raise him on the turn? HELL YES.

So I fold. We all know the feeling - "got my TPTK and now im getting check/raised on the turn ??!?!?!!!?" It's a tough lay down, but more often than not I think it's the right play. just wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

sexypanda
10-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I always call and check call. Its 7 big bets to you, but 2 more to see the river (the call and the check call, assuming he bets). That means your investing 2 bets for a 10 bet pot, you only need to have the best hand 2/10 times (20% of the time) for this to be an ok move. If you're more that 80% sure he has trips, lay it down otherwise call. I think I call.

fairness
10-29-2004, 05:29 PM
it's been my experience that small stakes players, especially at the micro limits will never make this play as a bluff. Unless you're playing against a total maniac, in which case you can never be sure, then I call down. against your typical small stakes player though, I am almost 95% sure they've got the good when this happens. so I fold...

Chris Daddy Cool
10-29-2004, 06:01 PM
it would really help if you gave player descriptions.

some guys never bluff
some guys LOVE to bluff.