PDA

View Full Version : Wrong time to go all-in?

mart_ph
10-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I think I've just played the slowest SNG ever on Paradise! This one guy said he had a PC problem, but having thought about it, I think it was his gameplay - strange that he never actually timed out. It took 1.5hrs to get to the 6th level! It certainly affected my play on the following hand!

My read on Villain - he played pretty much every hand. Any face card with any kicker, and any suited hole cards. He was hitting everything though...which made the waiting even worse! He hardly raised preflop though.

ParadisePoker (LEVEL VI, GAME #3) - 100/200 NL HOLD'EM -
$5 tournament -- Seat 8 is the button

Seat 1: 1,130 in chips
Seat 3: 2,436 in chips
Seat 4: VILLAIN 1,717 in chips
Seat 6: HERO 2,235.00 chips
Seat 8: 2,482 in chips

Dealing...
Dealt to HERO J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

VILLAIN (UTG): Raise (400)
HERO : Call (400)
SEAT 8: Call (400)
2 folds

*** FLOP *** : J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

VILLAIN: Check
HERO : Bet 200 (think I should have gone all-in here????)
SEAT 8 FOLDS
VILLAIN: CallS

*** TURN *** : J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

VILLAIN: Check
HERO : Bet 1,635 - ALL-IN

VILLAIN: Call All-in

*** RIVER *** : J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Heres what VILLAIN showed..... K /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Nice straight!

So,
1) Was I right to call his inital raise preflop?
2) Should I have reraised/folded preflop?
3) Should I have gone all-in on flop?

I think I know the answers to all of the above, but would value your opinions.

Mart

adanthar
10-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Unlike my post in the MTT forum, this is not a great time to slowplay against an 'any two' kind of guy. He'll call an all in with KJ; let him. But if you're going to slowplay, certainly don't bet 200 into a 1400 chip pot; either check or try something like a 500 chip bet to get him to CR with nothing.

If your opponent was TAG, checking would be much more appropriate.

wjmooner
10-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Let's see, 1200 in the pot and you've got top two pair against two other players with an obvious flush draw out, as well as the fact that either one could call big bets if they have the ace.

Since you have them both covered and you are willing to go with this hand I push the flop. 1200 is a nice pot this late and I hope I get called by AK, AT, or something else.

C

Benholio
10-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Just calling pre-flop is a little suspect. I would usually raise here if I'm going to play the hand, to avoid playing it 4- or 5-way to the flop. Based on the amount of chips that you have (and that the VILLAIN has), the pre-flop raise would have had to be all-in as well.

After calling PF, though, I would definately bet this flop a lot harder. Betting 200 you are begging for anyone with a draw to continue (and it is a 2-tone flop). Once again based on the amount of chips you have left vs. the pot size, I would just go all-in on the flop.