PDA

View Full Version : PS WPT FPP Finals last sunday...

TakeMeToTheRiver
10-29-2004, 03:36 PM
A little under 200 players started. Top 4 go to the Bermuda WPT event ($11,000 package). Fourteen players left... UTG has been fairly agressive in building his stack...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (6 handed)

UTG (t34048)
MP (t7115)
CO (t17614)
Button (t31610)
SB (t8855)
Hero (t16497)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t400, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, UTG calls t800.

Flop: (t2525) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t1600</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t6000</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t10400</font>

3xBB was a relatively standard pre-flop raise -- and if he reraised pre-flop, there is a good chance that I would have folded.

Everyone is playing pretty tight and the blinds are going up real slow (30 minute rounds).

Any comments? Thoughts?

adanthar
10-29-2004, 04:01 PM
What are you going to do, fold a set with half your stack in already or fold preflop?

This is a bad beat post.

Steve Chase
10-29-2004, 04:02 PM
No doubt UTG has a strong hand. You should fold when reraised. UTG either has Q9, TT, or JJ as hole cards.

Steve Chase
10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
With blind at 400, half stack at 7k is not bad at all.
A couple of double ups will get you back.

willie
10-29-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No doubt UTG has a strong hand. You should fold when reraised. UTG either has Q9, TT, or JJ as hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is insanity. Flop a set and be afraid? how are you going to get away from set over set- i really don't think it's possible.

i think qq kk and aa could play the hand the same way.

This is definitely a bad beat post. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TakeMeToTheRiver
10-29-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you going to do, fold a set with half your stack in already or fold preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is that you can't walk away from this hand. That is what I am asking. Apparently other players disagree with you.

Would you reraise like UTG with AA, KK, QQ or even AJ? or does the reraise mean that you are definitely beaten? The table was playing super tight pre-flop, so I certainly did not put him on a straight.

I don't play in too many MTT so I am genuinely seeking advice -- is there anyway to get away from this?

Of course I was beaten /images/graemlins/frown.gif -- but I am honestly looking for other people's opinion /images/graemlins/confused.gif. Not really a bad beat as I understand it...

Chief911
10-29-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG has been fairly agressive in building his stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean aggressive when he is the aggressor only, and has shown to lay down hands?

Would he call with any two when you reraised him?

If he's made it this far, he's probably a fairly solid player, and is playing aggressively. He could be UTG raising with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK-J, and possibly if his raises are being folded around hands like KQ, KJ, etc.

So lets look at what has you beat at this point:

JJ, TT, Q9, and 79. His call on the flop means he could have any of those hands, and quite likely did not have AA or KK. He could just as likely have AJ, AK, etc.

Once you reraised him, and he pushed, you probably have to know there is a 50/50 chance that because of the way he played he has you beat with JJ or TT. The fact that you already have half your chipstack in there is irrelevent. Its analyzing if you are beat or not.

I'd like to say that after considering all options, I'd fold and fight another day, but I dont think I could get away from it.

Set over set is vicious, and doesnt happen often, but when it does its very hard to get away from.

Your play was fine.

Nick