PDA

View Full Version : A7s, preflop, button...

Entity
10-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Likey? No likey? Table is typical; blinds are loose.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

antidan444
10-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Isn't this straight out of SSH? I know A9s is an easy raise, so even if A7s isn't, I can't believe it's wrong by any measurable amount, let alone wrong at all.

jrz1972
10-29-2004, 02:57 PM
I dont like this if the blinds are loose. If I have AXs, I'm hoping for either very few opponents (where I can probably win just by pairing my A) or a bunch of opponents (where I'm going for the nut flush). Here, you're going to get an intermediate number of opponents where TP doesn't tend to hold up, and where you're not getting paid off as much as you'd like when you hit the flush. I would just limp.

In fairness, I should say that I have a hard time forcing myself to raise with A9s and A8s in late position, so there's a good chance that I'm just too timid with these sorts of hands.

nothumb
10-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with this raise. I have a similar hand somewhere I've been meaning to post for a while.

NT

Entity
10-29-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this straight out of SSH? I know A9s is an easy raise, so even if A7s isn't, I can't believe it's wrong by any measurable amount, let alone wrong at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'know, I don't know if it's straight out of SSH or not. How low do you think I should be raising here?

antidan444
10-29-2004, 03:03 PM
It's right on the line, methinks. For what it's worth, I tend to be laggy with decisions that are right on the line like this.

I can see myself limping in with A7s (or lower) as well as raising. I'm definitely raising A8s. The point is, I don't DIS-like your raise.

EDIT: To clarify, I can see myself limping with A7s or lower. I can see myself raising with A7s too. I probably would not raise with A6s or lower.

EDIT: Unless I'm feeling REALLY laggy.

ONE LAST EDIT: I'm rusty from all the NL play.

Reqtech
10-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Serious question: what is the reasoning for this?

I see two sides to this: (you is rhetorical)

One side: You want to raise for value for your nut flush draw, and you hope that the SB and BB call you. You are also hoping that neither SB or BB will 3-bet, or that none of the limpers limp-raise.

Other side: Along with flush draw, you think that you're the only one with the ace and that if an ace comes out on the flop, you're ahead. Raising will hopefully make either of the SB/BB fold. This raise also will put you in the "lead" and people will be likely to check to you on the flop.

Myself, I would just limp. If it were a nine I would raise, but I hate having 7 as a kicker.

Reqtech
10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
I think that this could be a good "mix it up" raise if you've exhibited a tight persona on your table or if your table has shown itself to be particularly tight. Seems like advertising to me.

antidan444
10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
The best reason I can come up with for raising is that I believe should everybody just call the raise (a strong possibility in these loose/passive games), my equity in the hand is very good relative the other players.

Believe me, I also understand reasons for limping. I think this might be one of those decisions where a raise or call both have such close EVs it may not matter (unless there's a very aggro player in the blinds who is likely to 3-bet, in which case I like calling a lot more).

meep_42
10-29-2004, 03:21 PM
With 2 limpers, I like a A9s to raise. I was thinking a lot about this last night while losing my ass on a great run of 2nd best hands.

I do like taking the lead on this hand, but without a VP$IP on UTG , MP3, or CO, I don't know about a raise.

-d