PDA

View Full Version : Hand for review

SixgunSam
10-29-2004, 12:34 PM
$30 NL Tourney on Stars. Blinds 400/800 $50 ante.

Hero MP1( t9000 )
Villian MP3( t14000 )

I'm shortstacked because of a bad beat a few hands earlier. Approaching the money, maybe 10 people to go.

I am dealt 99 and make it 2000 to go and Villian calls. Villian was recently moved to the table two orbits prior and I have no strong reads.

Pot: t5650

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I have t7000 now. I bet t3000. Villian calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Up to me to act. What is my move? Over t11000 in the pot and I have t4000 left. Did I play this hand correctly PF and on the flop? I almost pushed the flop, would that be a better play? I had slightly more than 10BB and I know there could be a case made for me pushing PF, but I was approaching the money and didn't feel that threatened. If I missed, I still had t7000.

EnderIII
10-29-2004, 01:09 PM
I can understand not wanting to push PF, but if you are bet half your stack with an overcard on the flop i think you'd be better off pushing PF, going all in on the flop or checking the flop. Betting half your stack puts you in a rough spot if you get called and don't improve. checking when the Ace hits looks weak and invites a steal, but then again you might already be beaten by a jack. i guess once you are in such a jam you might want to go ahead and shove the rest of your stack hoping the Ace was a scare card for your opponent. don't feel real good about that, but it might be your best option once you've got that many chips in. and i do think 4k is enough to make some players fold if they think they are beat, he still has 9k and will be down to 5k if he calls and loses, which i do think is significant.

UOPokerPlayer
10-29-2004, 01:33 PM
With people playing so tight because of the bubble; When you're called, expect to be up against a real hand. I usually play on party so dont deal with antes. The extra 400 or 500 (do blinds post antes?) makes this a hand you push preflop imho. If you dont want to take the risk of someone waking up to a hand that busts you, you should play this hand for overpair/set value. Once you get to the flop you're all in or check/fold. I lean towards pushing because of the range of hands villain calls with, i think you beat a good percentage and can get him to fold hands like 1010 or and jq.