PDA

View Full Version : One last wireless question

steeser
10-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Last night I set up my house with a wireless router (Netgear 54 Mbps). Now I have my laptop setup wireless, and my desktop is plugged directly into the router.

Now I need to create a network to share files back and forth. The instructions are not making it clear to me what I need to do. Do I need to purchase a network card for my desktop? (As far as I know, I don't have one) Then is it easy?

Any help would be appreciated...at least the internet and poker part of it is setup.

mistrpug
10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my desktop is plugged directly into the router.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to purchase a network card for my desktop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your desktop is already plugged into the router, than you already have a network card for your desktop...

As far setting up file sharing and such, you need to give more info. What Operating Systems are you using?

steeser
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Ok, I wasn't sure if the internet connection to the router was good for file sharing as well for my desktop.

The desktop uses Windows 2000 and the notebook has Windows XP.

mistrpug
10-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Go here. (http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp)

That's the page I used when setting up my network. You should find everything you need there.

You should know that XP makes the whole thing ass easy. I don't know about 2000 but other older OSs I've used have given me a little trouble setting stuff up. Good luck.

Smokey98
10-29-2004, 12:56 PM
You will need to add the desktop to the workgroup or domain if you have one. That option will depend on which OS you are using.